Exchange / Outlook 2010 - How to cancel meetings but retain the calendar entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I posted in Microsoft's own forums without a hit, so I hope someone can help me here.
Is it possible to change the default behaviour on meeting cancellations whereby it removes the “cancelled” entry from a calendar even if you haven’t clicked on the “remove from calendar” option? One of my users wants to keep the entry as “cancelled” but show as free time as it is useful to look back on when wondering why he didn’t attend other conflicting meetings. I am also sure I have seen entries in my own calendar that do say “Cancelled” which suggests it is an option/setting somewhere.

We use Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2010 too. The mailbox in question is a personal one, not a resource mailbox. Thanks.

Re: Exchange / Outlook 2010 - How to cancel meetings but retain the calendar e

Everything you can do is here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996340(v=exchg.80).aspx - I believe it is controlled by autoprocessing. So... you can't use autoprocessing and I also believe the cancelled meeting notice needs to be moved out of the inbox, not processed/accepted. It might be better to use a run a script rule that creates an appointment.

Everything you can do is here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996340(v=exchg.80).aspx - I believe it is controlled by autoprocessing. So... you can't use autoprocessing and I also believe the cancelled meeting notice needs to be moved out of the inbox, not processed/accepted. It might be better to use a run a script rule that creates an appointment.

Thank-you for the response. I don't want to appear slow, but I dont quite understand a couple of points. Firstly, I believe the user does not create these appointments, merely gets invited to them (he is a senior manager), and then cancels his attendance. If he is the party that cancels would he get a notification message, and if so and he doesn't open it the appointment will still show in his calendar. Secondly, I somewhat lost on the line "I believe it is controlled by autoprocessing. So... you can't use autoprocessing", would you be so kind as to expand on this?

Many thanks

Correct, this is for the invitee. It's much more difficult for the organizer to keep canceled appointments. It can be done with a macro that is a little more involved than the one used by invitees.

I needed an article for my newsletter today and this seemed like a cool topic - thanks. :) A run a rule script sample is at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/rules/meeting-cancellation-calendar/ - when a cancelation notice arrives, the script copies the meeting details to an appointment and adds 'canceled' to the subject. As written in the sample, it adds "(Rule) Canceled: " - it helps me to see the rule works, but it can be changed to anything you want.

Autoprocessing - automatically accepting or declining appointments - will automatically process cancellation notices and delete them from the inbox. It's usually reserved for resources but can be used by individual. But anyone who want to keep the cancellation notice should not use this.

Correct, this is for the invitee. It's much more difficult for the organizer to keep canceled appointments. It can be done with a macro that is a little more involved than the one used by invitees.

I needed an article for my newsletter today and this seemed like a cool topic - thanks. :) A run a rule script sample is at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/rules/meeting-cancellation-calendar/ - when a cancelation notice arrives, the script copies the meeting details to an appointment and adds 'canceled' to the subject. As written in the sample, it adds "(Rule) Canceled: " - it helps me to see the rule works, but it can be changed to anything you want.

Autoprocessing - automatically accepting or declining appointments - will automatically process cancellation notices and delete them from the inbox. It's usually reserved for resources but can be used by individual. But anyone who want to keep the cancellation notice should not use this.

Many thanks for the superlative response! Don't think I could have asked for a better one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 with O365 / Exchange Online Using Outlook 0
B Exchange 2010 / Outlook 20070 "client error in synchronization log" Exchange Server Administration 1
P Outlook 2010 MS Exchange Calendar to Android- ical or webdav? Using Outlook 1
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2010 or 2013 Dual Configuration Exchange + IMAP Exchange Server Administration 6
Digitally Hip Outlook 2010 (32) and Exchange 2010 (sp3) sender info not displaying in Outlook Using Outlook 1
N Outlook 2010 exchange - auto-move emails from @domain Exchange Server Administration 1
V Outlook 2013 cant stay connected to exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 5
L Weird Inbox problems Outlook 2010/13 and Exchange Exchange Server Administration 2
R Exchange 2013/Outlook 2010 Slow Startups Exchange Server Administration 8
Z Outlook 2010 client to Exchange ,,,,search not working proparly Exchange Server Administration 0
M First post -help with managing two calendars Outlook 2010 /Exchange 2010 Using Outlook 0
T Outlook INBOX emails gone back 2-3 weeks after Exchange Server 2010 Restart Using Outlook 0
A Exchange 2003 Outlook 2010 64 Bit- AutoDiscover Connection Err - Certificate Exchange Server Administration 9
C Outlook 2010, two exchange mailboxes configured.Unable to see 2ndrymeeting req Using Outlook 2
A File - Save Attachments does nothing in Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2010 ... Using Outlook 3
B Sharing Multiple Outlook 2010 Calendars (Exchange) Exchange Server Administration 4
B Using hosted exchange to sync outlook 2010 calendars and contacts to BB Z10 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2010/Exchange 2010 Multi Mailboxes (Server unavailable) Using Outlook 6
O outlook 2010, owa, exchange Exchange Server Administration 2
D why do exchange contacts not sync properly from outlook 2011 to outlook 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
C Exchange 2010 - Outlook 2010 - Exchange Server Administration 4
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2010 wont remember Exchange Credentials on log off /shutdown of Win7 Exchange Server Administration 2
I Shared Contacts in Outlook 2010 and Exchange Server 2010 Using Outlook 4
A emails disappearing from inbox outlook 2010 exchange server 2010 major trouble Exchange Server Administration 6
B Outlook 2010 won't configure exchange account, 0kb .ost file Exchange Server Administration 5
R Thousand of sync issues on Outlook clients with Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 5
S Outlook Quick Steps - Exchange 2003 / Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
A Exchange 2010 Outlook 2010 and Local Failures sync issue Exchange Server Administration 5
B Exchange 2010 / Outlook 2010 - Group Folder issues Exchange Server Administration 6
T Outlook 2010/Exchange 2003: Meeting Organizer doesn't show Using Outlook 1
C Outlook/Exchange 2010 Recover Deleted Items to original folder Using Outlook 2
R Change Outlook 2010 Exchange server address via registry or script Using Outlook 5
T Outlook 2010 Mutliple Exchange Accounts SET UP QUESTIONS Using Outlook 4
R Outlook 2003 - Exchange 2010 global address list not updating Using Outlook 3
J Unable to access public folders in Outlook 2007 on Exchange 2010. OWA PF works fine Using Outlook 7
C Exchange Client Extensions in Outlook 2010? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Exchange Client Extensions in Outlook 2010? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2007 folder bug Exchange Server Administration 12
O Outlook - Switch from Exchange to IMAP Using Outlook 2
C How to fix outlook continuing to prompt fo an Exchange password Using Outlook 0
O How to sync (one way) contacts between two Outlook (exchange) accounts? Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Outlook 365 loses "outlook.com" exchange server settings Using Outlook 1
Z New minimum Outlook for Windows version requirements for Microsoft 365/Exchange Online Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 27
J Connect outlook to office365 exchange _without_ signing in office apps Using Outlook 4
O Newbie question: how to sync two Outlook -Exchange and IMAP- calendars? Using Outlook 4
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 365 Exchange .ost within Personal Vaul Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2016 Migrate 'On My Computer' (local storage) Calendar from Mac Outlook to Exchange Account Using Outlook 5
D Importing Outlook Categories from another domain (Exchange 2016/Outlook 2016) Using Outlook 4
B Outlook 2013/Exchange 2013 - Conf Rooms not fully booking "resolved conflict" meetings Using Outlook 3