Outlook 2013/Exchange 2013 - Conf Rooms not fully booking "resolved conflict" meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BerkeleyFarm

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2013
We have had a couple of instances lately where:
  • User A has a meeting scheduled in Room A
  • User B tries scheduling a meeting using the same time in Room A
  • Room A is set to refuse all meeting conflicts
  • User B is unable to do so because of conflict with User A’s meeting
  • User B and conf room admins (resource delegates) get a notification
  • Conflict is resolved by User A cancelling original meeting
  • User B’s new meeting then appears on the Room A conference room calendar
  • However, the “Show as” button on the meeting info shows as “Free” not “Busy”
  • User C, hunting the elusive conference room, sees Room A available during that time slot
  • User C books meeting only to find User B in the room at meeting time
Is this at least partially "by design"? Would having one of the conference room admins click “Accept” on the mail message they got book the room all the way (e.g. puts it on the calendar and shows as busy in free-busy)? Is there something else I can do systematically to ensure that meetings are booked properly? Is there a patch for Outlook or a powershell fix for Exchange that will correct the status from “Free” to “Busy”?

I suspect the conference room admins aren’t checking very often (this is a small part of their job) and I am pretty sure they aren’t following up on the messages. These meetings have been happening on short notice as well. If what I need to do is say to everyone is “If you get a bounce you need to resolve the conflict and then notify the front desk to correct the calendar” then that’s doable. We’ll refine the procedures and work on it. I could set up mail rules to organize/autorespond for the admins to make it easy for them and remind people who ignore my messages ;-) .
  • Most users have Outlook 2013 32 bit but there are some remote accounts using outlook 2010/2013 64 bit, mac mail, and outlook for iphone
  • Recently moved everyone to Exchange 2013 CU 21 (on prem, single server)
  • Conference rooms are all set to refuse ALL conflicts and forward to conf room admins
I haven’t checked yet to see if the users can themselves change the status of the room from Free to Busy.

That sounds like a bug - the calendar show accept it as busy. I'll test it and see if I can repro.

Huge thanks for that. I appreciate it. In the meantime I will ride herd on procedural work arounds (e.g. tell the conf admins they actually need to ride herd on this).

That sounds like a bug - the calendar show accept it as busy. I'll test it and see if I can repro.
Diane, can we also just remove the conf room admins from the process by completely rejecting all conflicts and not sending it to delegates/owners for approval? Currently in the OWA settings "Everyone" can book the resource if available and send a request for approval to the admins if it is not. If I change that to basically noone (e.g. allow myself to do it but nobody else), will conflicts get dropped completely, or do I need to view and change some parameters with set-calendarprocessing, and if so, which ones? I want people to be able to freely book any available times but if there is a conflict I want them to get a bounce and the conflict is NOT on the calendar at all even tentatively. The user would need to go back to square one to book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L what is safe size for pst of Outlook 2013 via Office 365 exchange? Using Outlook 1
S Exchange server 2013 / Outlook 2013 Exchange Server Administration 3
J Outlook 2013 - Exchange 2007 manage distribution group Exchange Server Administration 1
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2010 or 2013 Dual Configuration Exchange + IMAP Exchange Server Administration 6
Jon Bakrley Outlook 2013 and Exchange 2007, Out of the office error message Using Outlook 8
V Outlook 2013 cant stay connected to exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 5
R Exchange 2013/Outlook 2010 Slow Startups Exchange Server Administration 8
A Unable to send with attachments in Outlook 2013 (Exchange ActiveSync) Using Outlook 2
S Is Free/Busy supposed to work in Outlook 2013 not connected to Exchange? Using Outlook 14
P now on office 365 but getting error messages about missing Outlook 2013 cache folders Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2013 search no longer works Using Outlook 2
K Closing external IMAP email... Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2013 Calendar Archiving Using Outlook 0
T Compuserve, Yahoo, Oath2 and Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 4
Paula S. Outlook 2013 won't recognize new password Using Outlook 4
B Outlook 2013 erratically deleting original file that is attached Using Outlook 0
X Using Outlook 2013 and Outlook 365 Using Outlook 1
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
J Outlook 2013 Change color of text in data fields of contacts in Outlook 2013? Using Outlook 10
Commodore Outlook (2013) issues with icloud.com mail Using Outlook 0
D iCloud Add-in not working in Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016 After Windows Upgrade & iCloud Upgrade Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2013 "Item could not be moved - still an issue for Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
M Creating an RSS Feed **FROM** Outlook 2013 Calendar. Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2013 Yahoo IMAP Sync problems Using Outlook 1
iwshim outlook 2013 - I cannot see the "Manage Add-ins" Using Outlook 2
G Can't create Folder Groups in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
A Run time error 424. object required in outlook 2013 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
Rupert Dragwater Several questions regarding Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 9
P Outlook 2013 opens with FILE tab selected. Using Outlook 3
I How to display sender's name instead of email address in outlook 2013 message Using Outlook 5
Z Outlook 2013 Gmail IMPA emails not showing dates only showing times Using Outlook 1
B Forward every other email in Outlook 2013 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Synching Outlook 2013 Notes with iPhone 8 Using Outlook 1
N Outlook 2013 Folder View Using Outlook 8
M Outlook 2013 fails to start -- missing WindowsCodecs.dll error Using Outlook 3
David Michaels Contact card shows blank Outlook 2013 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Calendar data can be viewed on Outlook.com, but no longer syncs to Outlook 2013 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
C Attached files on Outlook 2010 Sp1 & Exc 2013 are missing Exchange Server Administration 1
R Folders shifting around in Outlook 2013 and 2016 Using Outlook 3
P Sync Desktop Outlook 2013 with Outlook.com? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
J Outlook 2013 when clicking To in a new email show Company names Using Outlook 0
J Outlook - 2013 - Error msg when copying folders from Online Archives to another user's mailbox Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2013 changing iCloud reminder time? Using Outlook 0
M OUTLOOK 2013 CONTACT PROPERTIES Using Outlook 0
J Object Variable or With Block Not Set Error in Outlook 2016 and not Outlook 2013 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P Outlook 2013 puts replies in Outbox Using Outlook 1
P Contacts gone missing in Outlook 2013 POP Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
P MS OUTLOOK 2013 - Adding Sender on the CC line Using Outlook 5
P MS OFFICE 2013 - Outlook locking up when using the sent on behalf of feature in VB Using Outlook 3