Sync Desktop Outlook 2013 with Outlook.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

parryjm

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Help! - I have Outlook 2013 installed on my computer.

• Configured to use my G-mail account for e-mail
  • Configured to use my Microsoft Account (Outlook.com) for my Calendar, People & Tasks (eas.outlook.com). I do not use this account for e-mail.
  • I have an need to exchange meeting requests with my wife, who uses Outlook 2010 on her work computer
  • Configured Personal Folder for storing my e-mail messages locally on my computer (Outlook.pst)
On Friday (1/27) I noticed 2 of my meeting requests sent to my wife were still sitting in my Outlook.com Outbox. The last meeting request she had received from me was on 1/22/17.

I happen to notice an unread e-mail message in my Outlook.com Inbox dated 1/23/17. This was unusually since I don’t use e-mail with this account. It was from Outlook Team informing me I needed to finalize my upgrade to the “new” Outlook.com. It said I have not yet reconnected my account, and as a result, my Outlook.com emails are no longer syncing to my desktop version of Outlook. That explained why my Outlook 2013 stopped communicating.

Well, I thought I followed their instructions, but when all said and done, I no longer have anything on my Desktop Outlook 2013 Calendar, Contacts and tasks!

When I log into my Outlook.com account, my Calendar events, People and Tasks are still showing.

I would have thought the "Sync" process would have replicated all my information from Outlook.com back to my Desktop Outlook.

How do I get my Calendar, People and Tasks information back onto my Desktop version of Outlook?

It *should* have started to sync as soon as you added the account - my guess is removing the old account and adding the new one set a different data file as default (for s short period) and created a calendar & contacts folder in the pst or gmail folders. Switch to the folder list (Ctrl+6) to see which data file has calendar & contacts. Look in the outlook.com folders - are they empty?

Diane,

The calendar listed under my G-mail account is empty. The calendar under my "Exchange ActiveSync" account is empty as well. See uploaded Word document for more details. I don't know if the action I took made matters worse. I'm hoping I can recover my calendar events still show on my Outlook.com Calendar"

When you said “Look in the outlook.com folders - are they empty?”, I don’t know where you are asking me to look. Can you be more specific?

Attachments

• 2017-01-30 Follow-up Response.pdf
    370.3 KB · Views: 587
Can someone who understand this Outlook.com reconfiguration process help me?

I’ve tried multiple times to follow the Microsoft procedure to reconnect my Outlook 2013 Desktop to Outlook.com.

During the Auto Account Setup, it asks me to enter name, username & password, so I enter my Microsoft Account username and password and click next.

I am then prompted for the password to the “imap.gmail.com” server. Not sure why I am being asked to enter my G-mail account password, but I go ahead and enter it.

I am then prompted for the password to the “smtp.gmail.com” server. Again, not sure why I am being asked to enter my G-mail account password, but I go ahead and enter it.

The next screen indicated…

o Outlook is completing the setup for your account. His might take several minutes.​

o Establishing network connect √​

o Searching for JamesParry@gmail.com settings √​

o Log onto server and send a test e-mail message √ (which I did receive in my G-mail Inbox)​

o Your IMAP E-mail account is successfully configured​

I clicked on “Finish”

When I look at the Account Settings for the e-mail accounts, it lists 2 accounts as follows…

1. JamesParry@gmail.com IMAP/SMTP (send from this account by default)​

2. JamesParry@gmail.com (1) IMAP/SMTP​

This 2nd account configuration doesn’t look right.

Previously, the 2nd account “JamesParry@gmail.com (1)” had shown “Exchange/ActiveSync”. Should the new configured account show the same thing?

I even tried adding this second e-mail account manually and specifying the server as “eas.outlook.com” and it still does not work.

My Outlook.com Calendar, People and Tasks contain information. My Outlook 2013 Calendar, People and Tasks associated with this second account remain empty, so nothing is getting synch from my Outlook.com account.

Diane,

The calendar listed under my G-mail account is empty. The calendar under my "Exchange ActiveSync" account is empty as well. See uploaded Word document for more details. I don't know if the action I took made matters worse. I'm hoping I can recover my calendar events still show on my Outlook.com Calendar"

When you said “Look in the outlook.com folders - are they empty?”, I don’t know where you are asking me to look. Can you be more specific?
Based on the screenshots, the gmail account was set as the default data file - that is why it has the 'this computer only' folders.

As long as everything is on the calendar in outlook on the web, nothing will be lost.

During the Auto Account Setup, it asks me to enter name, username & password, so I enter my Microsoft Account username and password and click next.

I am then prompted for the password to the “imap.gmail.com” server. Not sure why I am being asked to enter my G-mail account password, but I go ahead and enter it.

This is happens because auto account setup finds the autodiscover records for gmail. You'll need to add an outlook.com alias to the account to add it to outlook as an exchange account.

There is good news coming later in the year - they are working on a solution to sync gmail calendar and contacts to outlook via the microsoft cloud. When they do this, you won't need the outlook.com alias. (It's starting to roll out to a small # of users now.)

Status
Not open for further replies.