To: and Cc: not displaying when forwarding/replying to .eml files

Status
Not open for further replies.

treefrog

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I am encountering some strange behavior: when opening a properly-formed .eml file in Outlook from a file, and choosing to reply to or forward the item, Outlook fails to include the To: and CC: information in the text/body of the email (e.g. the text portion of the body of the email that contains the email being replied/forwarded). This appears to users as though that information has been lost, when in fact it is present in the .eml headers (confirmed by opening it in notepad).

The information appears as expected in a reply/forward after saving the email to a folder in the mailbox.

I have observed this behavior for Outlook 2010 and 2013.

Can anyone else replicate this? Does anyone know of a fix?

I'm working on converting an OE mailbox to Outlook and have some eml on my hard drive - they have the header details in the reply. I'm not sure why it's not working for you and I don't know of a fix offhand.

I'm working on converting an OE mailbox to Outlook and have some eml on my hard drive - they have the header details in the reply. I'm not sure why it's not working for you and I don't know of a fix offhand.

Hi Diane, thanks for testing this out. So when you launch one of the .emls by double-clicking it from its location on your hard drive, then click "Forward", you do see the To: and Cc: information in the body of the email, i.e. in the editable text that constitutes the body of the email, and which shows the email thread as text below where your own text would be entered? I'm sure you know what I mean but I just want to doubly confirm because I've had to explain this a couple of times to others before they've realised what I mean.

Hi, we have several users that experience this problem. Users who have Outlook 2007 installed can see all email header fields, but users who have Outlook 2010 installed have TO and CC missing when "Reply" or "Forward" is clicked.

Was the mail imported using Outlook's Import wizard? I know that will cause this issue - exporting from Live Mail or OE to Outlook retains the header. EML files opened from the hard drive should behave the same as imports and be missing the to/cc fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Displaying Date Value In Formula Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
J ol2021 custom form not displaying pics Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 37
L Images not displaying in emails sent to self Using Outlook 2
J custom form not displaying pictures Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
HappyDaddy007 "Size" on field chooser/column displaying incorrect value Using Outlook 3
L Email with correct To address but displaying name of a related person Using Outlook 0
C Changed By field not displaying individual user's name in O365 Shared Mailbox Using Outlook 9
Y Outlook not displaying all imap emails Using Outlook 5
N Signature displaying incorrectly in email Using Outlook 1
S Show Total Number Of Items Not Displaying Using Outlook 9
J Subject Field is displaying Name and company Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Contacts list not displaying Using Outlook 10
V Not displaying newest messages in Inbox Using Outlook 10
C Unread email count not displaying on Inbox sub-folders Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Displaying a Picture on a Contact Using Outlook 0
N Outlook Forms Not Displaying Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
K Outlook 2010 form is displaying old form layout Using Outlook 3
C Displaying Profile Pictures in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
S Custom Outlook Form 2013 Displaying fields incorrectly Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Displaying Shortcuts in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
Digitally Hip Outlook 2010 (32) and Exchange 2010 (sp3) sender info not displaying in Outlook Using Outlook 1
N Grid Lines Not Displaying - Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 3
Sarge USMC Outlook 13 not displaying POP inbound emails Using Outlook 12
W Outlook 2010 - Displaying Private Appointments In Shared Calendars Using Outlook 1
G Outlook Intermittent Issue with Drafts not Displaying Entire Content Using Outlook 4
M View in browser stopped displaying .GIFs in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
E BCM Contacts & Accounts not displaying correctly BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
S Displaying the Remind Beforehand Value in Calendar List View Using Outlook 2
wallisellener Marketing and Project Management field are not displaying BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
R Outlook 2007 not displaying embedded images in emails Using Outlook 1
S Holidays after 2012 & NOT displaying location Using Outlook 8
J Remove location field from displaying Using Outlook 8
O Exchange 2003 displaying HTML emails as having attachments Exchange Server Administration 7
B Sent Items Not Displaying in Outlook 2010 Client Using Outlook 2
V Outlook 2007-Tasks not displaying in calendar Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2007: Shared Tasks not displaying on my To-Do Bar Using Outlook 8
G Displaying value of task subject field as values from two custom fields Using Outlook 4
K Outlook 32-bit Connector and Outlook not displaying the folders Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 10
T VSTO Outlook add-in: Categories not displaying correctly Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
I Displaying my Online/Offline Status BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
R Displaying a field from the field chooser programmatically Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
W Displaying custom properties of a PDF DocumentItem Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L Deleted items not displaying in outlook Using Outlook 2
S Olk2003 displaying an error message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
J Suppliers in Accounting 2009 not displaying in BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
F Outlook 2019 Forwarding Message and Keeping Unread Status Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Outlook 2019 Help with forwarding email without mentioning the previous email sender. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Forwarding email based on the attachment file type and specific text found on the attachment file name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Original email text not shown when replying or forwarding the email. Using Outlook 9
A Automatic forwarding to different people on a rotational basis Using Outlook 2