Status
Not open for further replies.

srmsrm

Outlook version
Outlook 365 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I have Outlook 365 Business

In one of my local PST files (not my default data file), "Contacts" folder, I have set the properties to "Show total number of items" but the number does not appear. If I select "Show number of unread items", Apply, and then select "Show total number of items", Apply, then the total is shown. However, when I restart Outlook the setting is still "Show total number of items", but the total number is not shown.

1.jpg

that is a setting in the data file. If it's a pst folder, try running repair on it; exchange mailbox the recommendation is to delete the cache file and let outlook rebuild.

I don't think the navigation pane is corrupt, but if you don't have a lot of folders in favorites, you can try restarting outlook with the /resetnavpane switch or make a new 'test' profile with the data file or exchange account in it to see if it fixes the problem first. If you have a lot of folders in Favorites, this switch will reset it to the default and you'll need to add them back.

Thanks. I will try a repair first. If that fails, I will try the reset and then new test profile. I do not use favorites.

Diane

Tried SCANPST, running with resetnavpnae option and a test profile. No luck. Each time Outlook restarts, it doss not reflect the total number even though the option is selected.

I am going to try creating a new Date PST file and copy the contacts from the old PST file to see if that resolves it. If that does not, any other ideas?

Tried creating a new PST file, created a contacts folder and moved a few contacts into the folder. Initially the total did appear, but as soon as I closed Outlook and restarted, same result. The show total option is selected but does not reflect the total.

Did you try a new profile?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, I did but forgot to mention it. I created a new profile and use only the one PST file with the items not showing. Same results.

My other local PST files are working OK. It just seems to be this one in which the total is not showing. Does it matter that it is not the default PST file? I'm assuming no, but wanted to ask.

My other PST files (Gmail - ones I have for sending / receiving emails) also work OK showing the totals.

no, it shouldn't matter that it is not default - the settings are per-folder. That indicates a problem with the folders.

BTW, did you test it in Safe mode? I would not expect any change, but if it actually worked, it could be an addin or support file (such as navigation pane affecting the display).

To open Outlook in Safe mode: Close Outlook then hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon. You'll get a message asking if you want to start in Safe mode. Click Ok.

Did you reset the nav pane yet? It will delete all from from Favorites, so i hate to suggest it unless I'm pretty sure it might help.

To reset the navigation pane
Close Outlook. Press Windows key + R to open Run dialog, type or paste

outlook.exe /resetnavpane

Then press Enter (or OK button) to restart Outlook. Note: Make sure there is a space between the words.

Thank you. I tried all options you noted in a previous reply except Safe Mode. I will try that next.

I may try another PST file in my current profile and add a few contacts at a time and see what happens

I tried all above options and I still have the same issue; however, I am now seeing the issue in multiple PST files. When I first posted, it was only one PST file, now it seems to be happening on multiple PST files. I'll try and see if I can determine why, but it looks to be random.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M New Calendar Appointments: Conditionally turn off reminder and show time as free Using Outlook 5
C Outlook 365 Copy/Save Emails in Folder Outside Outlook to Show Date Sender Recipient Subject in Header Using Outlook 0
N Outlook 365 How to show all calendars at startup? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Victor.Ayala Automated way to check the option "Show this folder as an email Address Book" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Sent emails show iCloud mail account not the alias Using Outlook 2
J Names in sent items suddenly show as Bob Smith (bobsmith@sample.com) Using Outlook 3
S Visual indicator of a certain property or to show a macro toggle Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Horsepower Contacts added from iPhone don't show up in Outlook Using Outlook 2
C All Gmails don't show in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 2
C How to use VBA to show only items x days old or more Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Option to Show Cancelled Appointments Using Outlook 0
Z How to show concatenated categories in list task view? Using Outlook 2
M Outlook .com group does not show up in Outlook for office 365 home Using Outlook 3
F Appointment Show All Fields Using Outlook 1
G Calendar View in Outlook Office 365 - Doesn't show enough hours, and the 30/60 min choice isn't the solution Using Outlook 4
N How to disable shortcuts for Pilcrow in Outlook (Show or hide paragraph marks) Using Outlook 0
V Outlook Macro to show Flagged messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
F How to show assigned tasks under certain mailbox? Using Outlook 4
Witzker social connector 2010 does not show all emails to or from contact Using Outlook 3
Witzker social connector 2010 does not show all emails to or from contact Using Outlook 0
S Outlook.com birthdays show up 1 day late on iPhone contacts list Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 27
A Outlook 2016 Will Not Show Any Data In the People Pane Using Outlook 17
Rupert Dragwater Email flag does not show up in Outlook2013 Using Outlook 13
Z Tasks from some users show up as emails Using Outlook 4
Caio "From" field doesn't show extra email addresses in Outlook 2016. Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
O Worksheet doesn't show on jumplist Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2013 when clicking To in a new email show Company names Using Outlook 0
C Outlook 2016 doesn't show contacts in address book Using Outlook 2
K Daily task list > show tasks on the exact due date and not on the "current date" Using Outlook 1
Rupert Dragwater Some mailboxes show deleted items as not read Using Outlook 5
C Discovery search does not show autoforwarded messages Exchange Server Administration 1
Thorsten show the correct calendar on start Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Marco doesn't show up when using Alt-F8 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
I Windows 10 - .msg files on disk show Explorer popup error Using Outlook 5
Phillip Show mail items in folder macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
H How to show recipient email address? Using Outlook 0
H Is it possible to create a view that only show the first task in a list? Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Make the Address Book show only e-mail addresses, not fax numbers Using Outlook 0
G Outlook does not show new appointments in To-Do-Bar Using Outlook 0
L How to show Delivered-To field in Inbox Using Outlook 1
T Desktop alerts show but no emails found Using Outlook 1
oliv- How to select an mailitem in explorer with "show as conversation" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
N To do bar - show more than 30 days of appointments Using Outlook 0
V move emails to windows folder and show sender details Using Outlook 7
M No Show Group on ribbon Using Outlook 8
J Outlook Rules not show Master Category List Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
A Show ALL of today's appointments in To-Do Bar Using Outlook 1
D Mail accounts don't show up in navigation pane Using Outlook 1
wisedave Missing icon that show message was forwarded, etc Using Outlook 1
S Need CC: to show the original To: recip[ients Using Outlook 4