how to get Outlook VBA code to work on the current folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

revansx

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi. This is my first post here. please let me know if there is a more appropriate place to ask this:

I have the following VBA code (below) that works well for any mail in the "Inbox".

I execute it manually from the VBA ThisOutlookSession environment (Alt-F11)

But I also have lots of mail in folders from mapped PST files and what I want to do is make this code so that it works on whatever the "currently selected" folder is; even if it is a sub-folder in a PST file.

Is that possible?

Here is the code:

----------------Private Sub SetInitialProperties()
Dim ns As Outlook.NameSpace
Dim fld As Outlook.MAPIFolder
Dim objUnknown As Object
Dim mail As Outlook.MailItem
Dim prop As Outlook.UserProperty
Set ns = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")
Set fld = ns.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox)

For Each objUnknown In fld.Items
If TypeOf objUnknown Is MailItem Then
... do stuff ...
End If
Next

Set objUnknown = Nothing
Set fld = Nothing
Set ns = Nothing

End Sub

--------------------Thanks!

-Rich

I'm also looking at this post (below) as my primary approach to accessing folders that are not sub-folders of the Inbox

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscrip...at-isn-t-a-subfolder-of-my-outlook-inbox.aspx

so I think I have the clues I need to reference a folder in a mapped PST file... but this isn't the same as having VBA "fetch" the current folder the user is looking at.

That's what I'm curious about if it's possible.

Continued Thanks!

Diane,

Holy Cow! That worked perfectly! and was so simple... how is that possible :p

But really, Diane, thank you so much. You made my day. :cool:

Cheers!

-Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Excel vba code to manage outlook web app Using Outlook 10
S Outlook VBA How to adapt this code for using in a different Mail Inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Outlook Business Contact Manager with SQL to Excel, User Defined Fields in BCM don't sync in SQL. Can I use VBA code to copy 1 field to another? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
A VBA Code in Outlook disappears after first use Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Need VBA code to automatically save message outside outlook and add date Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M VBA Code to Restart Outlook on error Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Z Default VBA code for extracting data from email (Outlook) to Excel? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M VBA Auto-Reply code for Two Mailboxes on one Outlook Session. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Kelli VBA code for Outlook Using Outlook 1
M VBA Code to extract data from an Outlook Form Using Outlook 0
M VBA code needed to move from Outlook 2010 subfolder to Symantec Vault subfolde Using Outlook 0
C In need of VBA code to read / parse HTML - Outlook emails Using Outlook 0
R [VBA] complicated(?) outlook events - need help with code Using Outlook 15
J VBA code can't be completely executed in outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
P VBA Code being completely ignored by Outlook Using Outlook 7
M Updating VBA code from outlook 2007 to outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
A Accessing .pst folder in outlook using VBA Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P 'Trusted' VBA code in Outlook 2003? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Outlook VBA to send from Non-default Account & Data Files Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Geldner Problem submitting SPAM using Outlook VBA Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Outlook 2016 outlook vba to look into shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Outlook VBA forward the selected email to the original sender’s email ID (including the email used in TO, CC Field) from the email chain Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
L Fetch, edit and forward an email with VBA outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
BartH VBA no longer working in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
W Can vba(for outlook) do these 2 things or not? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
richardwing Outlook 365 VBA to access "Other Actions" menu for incoming emails in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Outlook Rules VBA Run a Script - Multiple Rules Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Outlook (desktop app for Microsoft365) restarts every time I save my VBA? Using Outlook 1
E Outlook 365 Outlook/VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
J VBA for outlook to compare and sync between calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Outlook VBA change GetDefaultFolder dynamically Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
S vba outlook search string with special characters Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
U Outlook 2019 VBA run-time error 424 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
G VBA to save selected Outlook msg with new name in selected network Windows folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
F Excel VBA to move mails for outlook 365 on secondary mail account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
K Outlook Office 365 VBA download attachment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
V vBA for searching a cell's contents in Outlook and retrieving the subject line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B vBA for exporting excel file from outlook 2016 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
H Custom Outlook Contact Form VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Problem Checking the available stores in my Inbox (Outlook VBA) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O VBA Outlook Message Attachment - Array Index Out of Bounds Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Want to learn VBA Macros for Outlook. What book can you recommend? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Outlook 2013 reminder email by using Outlook vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Outlook VBA error extracting property data from GetRules collection Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
O Email not leaving Outbox when using Excel VBA to sync Outlook account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
L Moving emails with similar subject and find the timings between the emails using outlook VBA macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N How can I increase/faster outlook VBA Macro Speed ? Using Outlook 2
N Outlook Email Rule execution through shortcut keys (VBA codes) Using Outlook 1
dweller Outlook 2010 Rule Ignores VBA Script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2