Data file not associated with an email account and can't be deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
In Outlook 2010, I have a data file that is not associated with an email address and I cannot delete it. I created a new email account and now I have 1 email account and 2 data files with the same name. If I try and delete the default data file, it tells me it cannot delete the default. When I highlight the other data file, the option to make it default is grayed out. If I try and delete it, it tells me it that this data file is associated with an email account and to remove it, remove the email account. I checked the registry, and there are 2 accounts. If I delete the one with the least data, the next time I open outlook, it returns to the registry. The problem this causes, is outlook shows duplicate email accounts on the left side.

This is normal in IMAP accounts in Outlook 2010 and older. One data file is used for calendar and contacts and also the Outbox, while the other one has everything that is on the imap server.

That's not really the problem. The problem is that there are duplicate email accounts when Outlook is opened. They both have the same email addresses and show the same information under them. Even if I delete the email account, there is still a data file and it cannot be deleted. It shows to be the correct .pst file, but there is no email address linked to it. How do I delete it. When I try, I get an error message saying that I need to delete the email account associated with the file, but there is not one to delete.

if you have ghost pst in the profile, the best fix is making a new profile. You can try to fix the profile using the instructions at ghost pst files

I tried that and with no other email account in there, when I start outlook, it won't start because it says it cannot find the .pst file. If I have an email account, and delete the ghost in the registry, the next time I start outlook, it returns.

How many pst files are in your profile? Can you post a screenshot of youe folder list (Ctrl+6 to switch to the folder list)

How many pst files are in your profile? Can you post a screenshot of youe folder list (Ctrl+6 to switch to the folder list)

I ried to attach a word document with screenshots of the problem, but the file size was too big. Is there an email address or ftp site I could upload it to? I am really in need of some assistance. Luther

Screen shot 1.jpgScreen shot 2.jpgHere are the screen shots. Notice the 2 identical email accounts on the left. If I try and delete the data files, here is the message I receive.Screen shot 3.jpg If I attempt to change the default file, the set as default option is grayed out. Screen shot 4.jpg Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I tried searching for 001e3001 as instructed and nothing found. The instructions are for Outlook 2003 and 2007. I am using 2010. What should I be searching for?

I tried the addins and neither one of them helped. I followed the suggestions, deleted the 2 strings in the registry and still have the same issue, 2 data files, 1 email and 2 identical accounts in Outlook. Is there any way to delete the entire registry for Outlook and start from scratch? I am desperate and I need some way to resolve this issue.

I'm having a similar problem with OST files in Outlook 365. I had removed my Gmail account a while ago. Recently I finally upgraded to Outlook 365 from Outlook 2013. I show 5 OST files for my Gmail account, before the Gmail account was even added in. Closing Outlook, deleting the smaller ones and then re-starting Outlook doesn't help. Can one have ghost OST files?

Thank you Diane. This issue is resolved, but I regret I don't remember what I did to resolve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Advanced search terms for "Outlook Data File" Using Outlook 1
W Create a Quick Step or VBA to SAVE AS PDF in G:|Data|Client File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Wotme create email only data file Using Outlook 1
V Backup Calendar, Contacts, Tasks in an POP3 data file Using Outlook 3
J Deliver new messages to New or Existing Data File? Using Outlook 2
T vba extract data from msg file as attachment file of mail message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Outlook 2016 Unable to load Outlook data pst file Using Outlook 5
RBLampert Assigning a newly (re)created e-mail account to a specific .pst data file Using Outlook 2
E Copying data from e-mail attachement to EXCEL file via macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 38
K How to access emails found to be located in "Top of Outlook data file"? Using Outlook 3
Diane Poremsky Set Another Data File as Default When Using an Exchange Account Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky How to Compact the Data File When you Close Outlook Using Outlook 0
J create .pst data file for new gmail account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
M Dilemma: to add to existing data file or not to? Using Outlook 16
S Outlook data file cannot be accessed message Using Outlook 5
L outlook data file confusion Using Outlook 1
M Data File Management confusion after migration Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
O Win10 Office 2013 Outlook Calendar Data File? Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Change Item Count on All Folders in a Data File Using Outlook 0
G Calendar does not point to deafult data file Using Outlook 0
R can I transfer outlook data from old pc by using .ost file instead of the .pst Using Outlook 5
JulieB Default data file won't change Using Outlook 6
Diane Poremsky Moving an Outlook offline data file (*.ost) Using Outlook 3
C After a virus attack, The file... is not an Outlook data file (.pst) Using Outlook 1
H Can't change the location of the Data File (.ost) in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 2013 asking for outlook data file password, there is no password Using Outlook 2
reefclaw Outlook 2013 Cannot set outlook.com account as default data file Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
O "Cannot create message because a data file...could not be found" Using Outlook 1
J How do I get the database tool to recognize my data file? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
R Body of email not visible in Outlook Data File Sent Folder Using Outlook 4
P Error Message “Your Outlook Data File cannot be configured” Using Outlook 5
S Outlook 2010 trying to default Data file to outlook.com calendar Using Outlook 6
V Odd data file? Using Outlook 5
C Help with a Macro to move emails to a different PST data file Using Outlook 4
V How can I start a NEW PST file without loosing my contacts & other data Using Outlook 3
evdbogaard How can I use data from a xml file in an email message? Using Outlook 0
P outlook data file casnnot be accessed Using Outlook 2
V Outlook Data File (PST) - Auto Backup Solution Using Outlook 3
M How do I Repair OST File from corruption and Recover OST data? Using Outlook 3
E Can't Set a Particular Account as an Outlook Data File Using Outlook 1
R Data File Management Using Outlook 1
V Outlook 2010 IMAP Sent Items some items appear in Outlook Data File Using Outlook 3
B Remove Outlook data file using another PC Using Outlook 1
T How To Delete AN Email Acoount Without Losing The Data File? Using Outlook 1
E Macro to export BCM business data to CSV file BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
W Cannot delete Outlook 2010 data file Using Outlook 1
C crash during account setup - can't delete corrupted account/data file Using Outlook 13
T Default account - Outlook Data File Using Outlook 1
B Question: Boogered email/data file accounts Using Outlook 5
A Outlook 2010 - can't send/receive data file cannot be accessed Using Outlook 10