Help with a Macro to move emails to a different PST data file

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by CodeVar, Nov 1, 2013.

1. CodeVar

CodeVar

I was hoping someone could help me understand how to move emails to a different PST file. Currently I have edited a script I found online which allows emails to be moved to various folders based on a macro which executes either from a button in the top menu bar area, or with shortcut keys. Right now it is all working excellent, but I want to take it a step further and have it function the same but also allow a button which will move emails to a separate PST file. This particular macro will be running in Outlook 2007.

I read this but I wasn't able to get it functioning based on the macro I have customized:

http://www.slipstick.com/developer/macro-move-aged-mail/

My current Macro is as follows:

-It allows emails to be moved to 3 different folder locations within the main PST "Inbox" folder.

MACRO:

----------------------------------- 'Outlook VB Macro to move selected mail item(s) to a target folder

Sub MoveToFolder(targetFolder)

On Error Resume Next

Dim ns As Outlook.NameSpace

Dim MoveToFolder As Outlook.MAPIFolder

Dim objItem As Outlook.MailItem

Set ns = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")

'define path to the target folder; the following assumes the target folder

'is a sub-folder of the main Mailbox folder

'This is the original'

'Set MoveToFolder = ns.Folders("Mailbox").Folders(targetFolder)'

Set MoveToFolder = ns.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Folders(targetFolder)

If Application.ActiveExplorer.Selection.Count = 0 Then

MsgBox ("No item selected")

Exit Sub

End If

If MoveToFolder Is Nothing Then

MsgBox "Target folder not found!", vbOKOnly + vbExclamation, "Move Macro Error"

End If

For Each objItem In Application.ActiveExplorer.Selection

If MoveToFolder.DefaultItemType = olMailItem Then

If objItem.Class = olMail Then

objItem.Move MoveToFolder

End If

End If

Next

Set objItem = Nothing

Set MoveToFolder = Nothing

Set ns = Nothing

End Sub

Sub MoveToActive()

MoveToFolder ("Active")

End Sub

Sub MoveToAction()

MoveToFolder ("Action")

End Sub

Sub MoveToOnHold()

MoveToFolder ("OnHold")

End Sub

-----------------------------------Can someone help me configure it so a 4th option will move an email to a folder within a different PST?

For example I would like to add an extra button called "Archive", and when this particular button is clicked it will move the email to the archive folder within the separate PST's Inbox

Sub MoveToArchive()

MoveToFolder ("Archive")

End Sub

2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

You need to get the folder path function - http://www.slipstick.com/developer/working-vba-nondefault-outlook-folders/

then call the path like this:

Set MoveToFolder = GetFolderPath(targetF older)

and call it using

MoveToFolder ("datafile-name-in-folderlist\Inbox\subfoldername")

I think it will work with the default folders too, so you could use one macro and the full path to the file in GetFolderPath - or you can use two macros, your orginial and one that uses the getfolderpath function.

3. CodeVar

CodeVar

I want to start by saying Thank You, this was helpful in understanding the code further, but I'm still not able to get it to function. I tried to make a bunch of edits and possible adjustments but I don't know VBA well enough to make it work after all.

I'm going to try a bunch of different scenario's and will post back if I get it or not. If not, would you be able to possibly tweak the entire body of code so I can copy/paste it if I share the exact structure? I'll let you know how I make out on my own for now.

4. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Yeah, if you can't get it working, I'll try it.

5. CodeVar

CodeVar

So I tried a bunch of combinations, but with no success. First using the original scrip, as well as the authors earlier version but couldn't get it to work as hoped with this extra functionality.

I am using this as a base with minor edits for my needs and to move emails to folders within the main data pst inbox folder (Look at the code which is stated as being updated 5/25/2011 which is more compact, but unsure if may be causing issues when trying to amend this new function):

http://jmerrell.com/2011/05/21/outlook-macros-move-email/

My goal is to keep this functioning as is, but then also add the ability to move an email to a separate pst archive folder. This new button I am looking to create will move an email to the secondary Archive PST in folder 1, or folder 2, both of which reside within the archive Inbox folder. I run both of these pst's in the same profile. My current example structure is a follows:

Main PST

Inbox

-Folder 1

-Folder 2

Secondary PST/Archive

Inbox

-Folder 1

-Folder 2

Any extra help you can share will be appreciated :)