Unable to email from Word or Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

miket67m

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
On my laptop running 32bit Win 7 Pro and Office 365 I am unable to send a document direct from Word or spreadsheet because of an "unspecified" MAPI error. Specifically "
This error can occur if you attempt to send a Word document as an e-mail attachment in Word and the MAPI session was closed and Word is no longer able to connect to that MAPI session. It can also occur if there is a problem with the fax configuration.
To correct a MAPI related error: restart the MAPI e-mail program (for example,Outlook) or save and close the document, and then restart Word after restarting your MAPI e-mail application. Word will establish a new MAPI session, allowing the document to be sent."

I have both repaired and re-installed 365 and can find no obvious solution.

I am running about 6 work and personal email accounts. The default account being an IMAP account, as are all but one which is a yahoo pop account. It works fine on my PC running 64 bit Win 7 pro and Office 365.

Hi Diane,

I have disabled all add ins and restarted as well as running fixmapi.exe as administrator. No luck. Same message. I have an ancillary problem, not sure if it is linked, but if I draft an email and come back to it later, I get a message to say it can't then again be saved or sent as the "message has changed".

Does it also fail in Safe mode? Have you tried Repairing the install?

Oh, and are any of the applications running in compatibility mode - outlook especially - it will throw up all sorts of errors. The troubleshooters will enable compatibility mode - don't ask me why, since Microsoft knows it's a no-no.

I got to the bottom of it. One of the settings in the registry had attachments set to "0". Now it has been reset to 5000, its working fine.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Do you remember which key it was?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Preferences\MaximumAttachmentSize which was given a value data of 5000.

Mike

That key would not cause or solve the error message you received. I'll need to put on my thinking cap. :)

Interesting. It was the only setting that was changed by MS who remoted in under the 365 support arrangement, and I was watching their every move! Mike

Oh, i forgot, having it set to 0 will cause problems with the file, send by email command in some apps.

What is the maximum attachment size your mail server accepts? 5000 is approx 5MB.

The smallest maximum size of my different accounts is 20mb, most are 25. I guess I should go back in and change the 5000 to 20000? Interestingly my PC, which is also a clean Win 7 Pro install, does not have the same key, just the laptop?

I would raise it - or delete the key (default is 20 MB).

The key is not set by default, so at some point you decided to enable it on the one computer. I'm guessing you tried to send a large file and it failed and you knew it wasn't too large for your server. Quite a few sites recommend setting it to 0 - I prefer using the max your mail server allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Unable to extract text from an Outlook email message Using Outlook 2
X Unable to send an email from one account to another on same PC Using Outlook 2
R Unable to install without email account Using Outlook 4
E Unable to open Outlook 2010 after adding new email account Using Outlook 4
J Unable to link email messages in BCM using a single microsoft office 365 account in outlook 2013 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
D Unable to add email address to contact Using Outlook 3
C Unable to forward email with URL Using Outlook 2
S unable to send email from my second address (outlook 2007) Using Outlook 2
S Unable to send or reeceive email in new Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 0
A unable to receive email Using Outlook 1
U unable to encrypt email Using Outlook 9
M Unable to send email to gmail - using Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 3
D Unable to resize image in email signature Using Outlook 4
D Unable to change AppointmentItem.Start property Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D VBA - unable to set rule condition 'on this computer only' Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
L Unable to Use Alias as From Address Using Outlook 2
R unable to filter tasks when start date is on or before today Using Outlook 3
J Unable to delete folders in Outlook 2019 / Windows Using Outlook 0
D Unable to view older emails in desktop app Using Outlook 0
M Issues with templates - unable to find in old web app Using Outlook 3
Commodore Unable to move message Using Outlook 3
S Unable to change Message Class Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O Unable to make changes to an existing Calendar entry Using Outlook 11
C Outlook 2016 Unable to delete Gmail IMAP calendar Using Outlook 2
B Outlook 2016 Unable to view images or logos on the outlook 2016 emails the same html code works well when i use outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
M Unable to share 2019 calendar Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2016 Unable to load Outlook data pst file Using Outlook 5
L Unable to Sync Web/Android MS To Do with Windows Outlook Tasks Using Outlook 3
A Unable to save recurring Meeting to Documents folder due to error Using Outlook 2
O Outlook 365 - suddenly unable to send using Gmail POP3 Using Outlook 10
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
Q Unable to Sync Quicken reminder with Outlook 2016 64Bit Using Outlook 1
S Unable to remove rule outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
L Wierd Office 365 Contact unable to edit body of random contacts Using Outlook 5
Mark Foley Unable to subscribe to published calendar in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
S Unable to Edit Contact Information in Certain Contact Folders Using Outlook 3
P Deleted Items - Unable to Iterate All of Items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Unable to dismiss reminders from share point list calendar shared in Outlook Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 2016- unable to have all subfolders expanded when opening outlook Using Outlook 11
avant-guvnor Unable to view certain emails in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 16
M Unable to Configure Gmail Account in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
D Unable to Send On Behalf of Another User Exchange Server Administration 0
Tim King Outlook 365 unable to change accounts Using Outlook 0
R Unable to send mail using Cox.net Using Outlook 1
T Unable to 'Upload a file' using popup 'Browse' button Using Outlook 0
G Outlook calendar entry corrupted. Constant pop up when you open outlook. Unable to delete or remove. Using Outlook 2
O OL2000: Unable to create IMAP account Using Outlook 2
wallisellener Unable to reply/post/create new thread using Chrome BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
Rupert Dragwater unable to change font sizes in some replies Using Outlook 3
C Unable to see meeting attendees Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 5