Reply All no longer working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabio Quintal

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
I use my company's google apps account and one of my jobs is to respond to emails from clients, some are request to add info to their account, some are to request reset to their passwords and some are for technical support...I have an main email address through google apps and three different aliases...I think google calls them groups. Because we're a small company I sometimes respond to technical support after hours when I'm at home or from my android phone. So I use Outlook 2010 at the office and had been trying to use Outlook 2010 at my home laptop. I had been trying to use Outlook in POP mode, but found that they don't sync well with a second computer. I had created fake (send only) accounts for my aliases and modified some macros I found on this site to create my own REPLY and REPLY ALL macros to automatically send from the alias accounts. The reason for the REPLY ALL macro (as opposed to the plain REPLY macro) was due to the fact that I need to send an email to the aliases I was responding from, so other people in the company (two of my bosses and 1 other employee) could see my responses and not respond themselves (we were frequently responding twice), so the REPLY ALL is very important. This works rather well as long as I'm only using it on one PC, but when I thrown in the mix the PC at home, then I can't synchronize what was responded or not...I pretty much have to go by memory. I tried using the gmail interface but the conversation mode is horrendous...the way gmail puts threads together is hard to tell where one begins and ends. So decided to stick to Outlook. I tried using IMAP but creating the aliases in Outlook as the fake accounts (aliases) was a challenge, to say the least - it created multiple IMAP folders. So I found Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook (GASMO) and it looks like it will help with the syncronization and all my previous macros seem to work, except for the REPLY-ALL, in fact the built in REPLY ALL doesn't work (which explains why the macro doesn't work). The previous version of REPLY ALL will add the address that the email was being sent from to the TO field so that everyone got a copy of my response. In GASMO, it was no longer necessary to create the fake aliases because they were already part of GASMO, so when I responded from to an email that was sent to an alias it would automatically reply with THAT alias. The problem is that it no longer is adding the alias address to the TO field anymore when I REPLY ALL. I can manually add or as I had done, had added the macro to automatically add it to the BCC field (I couldn't figure out how to add it to the TO field without replacing the email already there or somehow the macro adding the name of the person instead of the email address). Either way, neither the manual add to the TO field or the BCC field worked well. I would get two messages in the conversation thread, one from the SENT folder and one from the inbox. This in itself was not a problem but I found that if I tried to delete it manually or via a rule, it would delete both my response from the SENT folder and the inbox. I would then manually have to move the message from the DELETED folder back into the SENT folder. It just has become a pain the butt. I found no way to delete the inbox message from the inbox without deleting the sent (I'm not sure how they're tied together). So I know this is a very long winded message to ask...what happened to the built-in REPLY ALL? I figure if I can get it to work correctly the macro will work too...in fact, I may not even need the macro itself since it appears to put the correct alias in the response. It this because I switched to GASMO and GASMO doesn't have this functionality? or is it because it sees the alias as a self address as opposed to before when it was seeing it as separate address it would allow the TO field to reply to that address? If so, will going back to IMAP and creating the fake addresses as POP accounts work?

it created multiple IMAP folders
Did you create the accounts manually? You'll need to type in the server info, but can create pop3 accounts.

IMAP should solve most of your issues.

The problem is that it no longer is adding the alias address to the TO field anymore when I REPLY ALL. I can manually add or as I had done, had added the macro to automatically add it to the BCC field (I couldn't figure out how to add it to the TO field without replacing the email already there or somehow the macro adding the name of the person instead of the email address).

The now-missing reply all is because outlook only includes your address if it can't figure out which address is yours. If it knows the address, it won't include it.

an itemsend macro can add the address as a cc.. but you will see both the sent and cc'd item, unless you configure outlook to not save the sent item.

Did you create the accounts manually? You'll need to type in the server info, but can create pop3 accounts.

IMAP should solve most of your issues".

Cool, I will try to switch back to IMAP over the weekend!
One Question (I very likely asking the wrong question)...Will the POP accounts connect to the existing PST file?

[QUOTE="The now-missing reply all is because outlook only includes your address if it can't figure out which address is yours. If it knows the address, it won't include it."[/QUOTE]

Ok, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure. I guess because GASMO adds the aliases automatically...can't have your cake and eat it too eh? The funny thing is that my original pop3 profile (which I can choose when I restart Outlook) is not working either as before.

The interestingly is that while I was using pop3 accounts (before switching to GASMO) gmail was able to see the alias as its own extension of the main account and wouldn't send send a copy of the message to me (only to the other member of the group) but its current configuration, it always sends me a a copy....which bring me to the question below.

[QUOTE="an itemsend macro can add the address as a cc.. but you will see both the sent and cc'd item, unless you configure outlook to not save the sent item."[/QUOTE]

I guess the macro doesn't matter that much, I just though if I added the address to the field it wouldn't send me a copy, but I guess that is not the case.

How do you configure Outlook to not save the sent item?...is there anyway to configure it not to save the received item?

Diane, by the way thank you for taking the time to respond to my messages. You're an Outlook goddess!

Fabio

Forgot to ask...since I will be switching to IMAP...can I GASMO on one machine and IMAP at least while a switch over? I'm thinking of trying to setup IMAP on my home laptop? and leave my office pc with GASMO until I make sure everything is working fine with IMAP...I've heard it can be a bit slow when you have a large PST file...my previous pop3 file was about 9 GB but my current GASMO file appears to be about 18 GB.

Pop3 can use pst files, including those created for IMAP accounts... But only outlook 2010 and older use pst for IMAP accounts.

To not save sent items for IMAP, go to account settings, double click on account then more settings. Look on the advanced tab.

Yes, you can use IMAP on one and the sync utility on another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Diane...I decided to wait until this coming weekend to try the IMAP on my home laptop. Too many activities during this past Memorial Day weekend.

To not save sent items for IMAP, go to account settings, double click on account then more settings. Look on the advanced tab.

So I started the IMAP conversion...so I wanted to make sure not to save sent items for IMAP, per your recommendation...I didn't see it under the advanced tab...there is a tab called "Sent Items" and I do see a setting of "Do not Save copies of sent items"...is that the one you mean...or should it be under the advanced tab? (I'm using Outlook 2010).

I will creating the pop3 accounts for aliases...I'm assuming they will be configured the same way my previous PC was setup before the conversion to GASMO with only send capabilities, correct?

That would be the location in Outlook 2010 - the dialogs are slightly different in each version. :(

The pop accounts will be set up the same - edit the send and receive settings so you don't check mail on those account.

So I ran into the issue of the aliases after creating them and are able to sent through them, the problem is the macro to select the incoming email address and reply with the alias doesn't seem to be working (see code below - part of it is code I had gotten from you here). It doesn't select the correct alias, it only wants to send to the default email account. I can still manually select which pop account (alias) I want to sent from, it doesn't do it via the macro, but It was working in the POP version:

im Strto As String
Dim olNS As Outlook.NameSpace
Dim objMsg, oMail As MailItem
Set olNS = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")
' For a reply all version, replace Reply with ReplyAll
' For a reply all version, replace Reply with Reply
Set objMsg = ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1).REPLYALL
If TypeName(ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1)) = "MailItem" Then
Set oMail = ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1)

On Error Resume Next
For Each Recipient In oMail.Recipients
StrRecip = Recipient.Address & ";" & StrRecip
StrRecip = LCase(StrRecip)
If InStr(StrRecip, "fabio@mydomain.com") = 1 Then
' StrAccount is the account name as shown in the Account Settings list
strAccount = "fabio@mydomain.com"
' Set Category
'objMsg.Categories = "REPLYALL"
objMsg.Save
Else
End If

If InStr(StrRecip, "clientinfo@mydomain.com") = 1 Then
strAccount = "clientinfo@mydomain.com"
' Set Category
objMsg.Categories = "REPLYALL"
' BCC a copy to others
objMsg.BCC = "ayos@mydomain.com; user3@mydomain.com"
objMsg.Save
Else
End If

If InStr(StrRecip, "help@mydomain.com") = 1 Then
strAccount = "help@mydomain.com"
' Set Category
' BCC a copy to others
objMsg.BCC = "user1@mydomain.com; user2@mydomain.com; user3@mydomain.com"
objMsg.Save
Else
End If

If InStr(StrRecip, "passwordchange@mydomain.com") = 1 Then
strAccount = "passwordchange@mydomain.com"
' Set Category
' BCC a copy to others
objMsg.BCC = "user1@mydomain.com; user2@mydomain.com; user3@mydomain.com"
objMsg.Save
Else
End If

If InStr(StrRecip, "bdsnewuser@mydomain.com") = 1 Then
strAccount = "bdsnewuser@mydomain.com"
' Set Category
' BCC a copy to others
objMsg.BCC = "edit@mydomain.com"
objMsg.Save
Else
End If

Next Recipient

For Each oAccount In Application.Session.Accounts
If oAccount.DisplayName = strAccount Then
objMsg.SendUsingAccount = oAccount
Else
' to reply using the account that downloaded the message
' leave the objMsg line commented
' remove comment to reply using default account
' objMsg.SendUsingAccount = olNS.Accounts.Item(1)
End If
Next
objMsg.Display
Else
End If
Set objMsg = Nothing
Set olNS = Nothing
End Sub

I'll take a look at it. One of my "select account" code samples wasn't working right in a retest - hopefully it wasn't this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.