Item edits doesn't always sync

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by MikeNight, Jun 19, 2017.

1. MikeNight

MikeNight

I have system in Outlook set up for keeping track of my tasks and projects. It works like this:

I have three folders for sorting tasks: (the noun task, not IPM.Task)

Inbox
    -Doing
    -Do it
    Done

I have some Quick Steps set up for managing my tasks, below are the three most relevant:

Do it
    Clear Categories
    Categorize message: Do it
    Move to: Do it
    Flag message: Follow up

Doing
    Clear Categories
    Categorize message: Doing
    Move to: Doing
    Flag message: Follow up

Done
    Clear Categories
    Categorize message: Done
    Move to: Done
    Mark complete

When I create a new "task" (not IPM.Task) I add an IPM.Post in my inbox which is using a template with tables etc. I then fill in the information about the task or project and then click "Post" and run the Quick Step "Do it".
    When I start working on a project I select it in the Do it-folder or in the To-Do Bar and run the Quick Step "Doing".

During the project, I need to edit the post item by adding or removing text etc. I do this by opening the post item, click Actions>Edit Message, do my edits and click save.

We use an Exchange server and I have two workstations with Win 10 64 + Outlook 2016 64 and Win 7 Pro 64 + Outlook 2010 64.

Now to the problem:
    When a post item resides in the Doing-folder, the edits made to it doesn't sync between the two workstations. But if edits are made to an post item residing in the Do it-folder, the edits are synced between the workstations.
    I don't see any difference between these two folders except for the naming, what could be causing this?

2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

I can't imagine its the folder name - i would start with clearing the offline folder and see if that helps. If not, try renaming the folder to "Doing it".

To clear the folder, right click on it and choose properties then Clear offline items.

3. MikeNight

MikeNight

Thank you Diane, I will try it.
    Will the folder resync everything afterwards?

BTW, I messed up in my original post and it's too late to edit. I meant IPM.Note, not IPM.Post. I always have a hard time keeping track of which is which, not so thought through naming imo.

4. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

You are using draft messages or sending it to yourself? It actually makes more sense to use post for this - messages-that-aren't-mailable with the yellow pinned note icon.

5. MikeNight

MikeNight

I'm using New Items>More Items>Post in This Folder, so I'm not emailing myself.

I've cleared the offline files in the Doing-folder from both of my workstations and then updated the folders but the item edits still doesn't sync.
    I've renamed the folder and it was reflected to the other workstation but still no syncing.

However, the folder is downloading the latest items after I've cleared and updated the folder. Any edits after this doesn't sync, I need to clear and update again to have the folder in sync. It doesn't matter if I do the edits in Outlook 2013 or 2016, it works the same both ways.

When I updated the folder in Outlook 2010, all items on the server were downloaded. When I updated the folder in Outlook 2016, only some of the items where downloaded, the same amount as before I cleared the folder though. Not that I think it could have anything to do with it but I don't know.

Any other tricks up your sleeve?

6. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

You were right the first time - it's IPM.Post. :)

Has it always failed in Outlook 2016 or it this a new bug?

I'll see if i can repro.

7. MikeNight

MikeNight

I don't know if this is new, I haven't noticed it before. But it has been there for some weeks as far as I know.

Just noticed that some items do sync both ways and others don't. Could these be compared in depth somehow?
    The Quick Steps are always reflected btw, it's just some edits that aren't syncing.

8. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Is there anything noticeably different between the two? Do you know if they were both created or edited on the same computer?

You can use MFCMAPI to look at the form's properties. I'm not sure it will tell you much though.