Auto-correct Contact fields' formatting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkAtHome

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 32-bit
Email Account
POP3
Hi -- does anyone know of an Outlook 2010 add-in/utility which, when run, goes through your Contacts and corrects any formatting errors it finds in all fields?

The issue reared its ugly head after trying to sync Android with Outlook 2010 using HTC Sync.

HTC Sync did a job on my Contacts:

• If a company contact has no contact person, it wipes out FileAs, showing <Unnamed> in place of the company name
  • Android does not use spaces in phone numbers, so HTC Sync removed spaces from all phone numbers in my contacts
  • Android does not use nicknames, so the app deleted them from Outlook
  • DisplayAs now shows Lastname, Firstname <email address>, instead of Firstname Lastname <email address> and randomly did the same reversal with FileAs.
I went round and round with HTC on this. They acknowledge the problem, but refuse to be responsible for fixing the damage done, simply stating that there is a new version coming out. Duh...

Upon receiving a link to complete a satisfaction survey, I left my phone number. The following week I received a call from some female who was in over her head. I was polite, thanked her and told her that while I like HTC phones, I will never recommend their software.

So, I need an auto-fix. There are simply too many records to go through every field, one by one and manually fix them.

Thoughts?

The FileAs and display name can be fixed with VBA -

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/contacts/bulk-change-outlook-contacts-file-as-format/

http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/emaildisplayname.asp

to fix the phone # (it's just formatting - outlook has the underlying number without spaces too) you need to touch the field but i don't have a macro for that.

nicknames are gone - outlook doesn't use them either. :)

If you have a backup, restoring from their would be the easiest fix.

Fantastic! You have made my day. Thanks, Diane.

nicknames are gone - outlook doesn't use them either. :)
Ah, but they were used all the time via MSVC with my WM phone! There weren't that many nicknames, so they were easily restored.

I have not yet found a suitable way to use them with Android on my WM phone... ;)

Ah, but they were used all the time via MSVC with my WM phone!

But its not outlook <g>

How do you like the droid compared to the WM?

But its not outlook <g>
I called it Outlook Micro, to distinguish it as being lighter than Mini. ;)

How do you like the droid compared to the WM?
That is a very good question, Diane.

It has been a slow, ongoing adventure.

After settling on the WM ROM I wanted (Dutty), and personalizing it with an exact, working replica of the analog watch my wife bought me when I became a sexagenarian (Oris Oscar Peterson Limited Edition), I was bored.

I started out running various SD(card)-based ROMs, where I had a lot of fun going to the market and downloading anything that I thought I might ever have a use for (I was brought up with ya' never know... !), until I settled on a few ROMs that I liked.

Then I installed a WM-based multi-boot utility that enabled me to have as many SD ROMs available to run, as the card's memory limit would permit. Upon boot-up (WM), I was presented with a boot menu that defaulted to WM after x-seconds, with three or four different Android SD ROMs to choose from.

The version of WM I was using was fast and stable, and unless a bug fix, for whatever, is released, this ROM is at its graceful end. It also began to look and feel like old technology after playing around with Android, so I bit the bullet, backed up my WM ROM along with all my apps, desktop settings, data, etc., and flash a NAND-based ROM that overwrote WM.

While I have not seriously considered (yet) returning to WM, getting control over Android is a challenge met with vigor at XDA-Developers, where I learn something new every day.

Seeing that I was no longer provider plan tied (I was free!), when WP7 arrived, I immediately left the confines of my abode to actually visit a physical store. As soon as I held the phone and began swiping here and there, I thought WOW! Fast and Fluid.

But... that was as far as it got. At_that_time, there was no local, USB sync and the phone could not be used for mass storage -- total deal breakers for me, but I was still watching Microsoft to see if they would detail the update/fixes they planned and when they would become available... silence.

At the same time, I was also watching the ebbing availability of HTC's HD2, and its cost, when Amazon made it easy for me by offering me two HD2 phones (my wife and I) with plan for two cents, no activation.

From what I have seen since, I have yet to find a more capable phone. I can run WM6.5.x, WP7, Android, Meego, Ubuntu and Windows 95 (... and who knows... soon iPhone?), all available, at least as dual-booted systems, and some multi-boot. The HD2 runs WP7 faster than any of the originally released WP7 phones by HTC, Samsung or LG, should I ever decide to revisit it.

Not sure if I answered your question... it's past my nap time. :eek:

Thanks! I got as close thinking about a droid but my daughter needed a blackberry for med school so I stayed with BB so i could get her one on a buy one, get one free (mine was free too, thanks to new every 2).

Thanks! I got as close thinking about a droid but my daughter needed a blackberry for med school so I stayed with BB so i could get her one on a buy one, get one free (mine was free too, thanks to new every 2).
If I didn't have an innate need to futz with my devices, and wasn't as enamored with having the largest screen my aged fingers could reach, BB would have been the most logical choice. I am security oriented and fairly private, which is why one of my incompleted tasks is to find a way to control Google's access to my phone. While this is being addressed by others, it still isn't as easy as clicking "keep Google out" (WP7 is not that dissimilar).

Status
Not open for further replies.