"Words In Recipient's Address" Rule Causes Outlook To Stop Processing Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technostud

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
For years I have wondered why Outlook would not process my Rules and Alerts automatically when an email arrived. I simply resigned myself to Run All Rules manually every couple of hours, which is terribly inefficient. I also implemented Diane's awesome macro to run rules based on a Task Reminder trigger. Still, I was perplexed why my rules wouldn't run automatically. Then, I stumbled across the following support page:

It seems that I'm not alone with Outlook Rules that do not run automatically. In testing each of my Rules one-by-one, I have also discovered that when a rule's condition is to check "specific words in the recipient's address," the Rules stop running. It seems that when that Rule is reached, automatic processing stops without warning. I can't use "from people or public group" because I need rules that search for certain words in the recipient's address.

Does anyone know a solution for this? I would love my Rules to process automatically as intended, but I also need these "Words in Recipient's Address" rules.

I have discovered an OK workaround, but I am still perplexed.

In each of my Rules that have a condition of checking for "specific words in the recipient's address," I have removed the "stop processing more rules" action. All of my Rules now automatically process!

Still, should I have to remove "stop processing more rules" from those Rules? I prefer to use "stop processing more rules" in all of my Rules. I can't understand why the condition of "specific words in the recipient's address," is not compatible with "stop processing more rules."

Oh well, at least the problem is becoming a little more in focus. I hope that this information can help some frustrated Outlook Rules users out there.

Here's another interesting bug related to Outlook's Rules & Alerts auto-processing. When a rule’s condition is to check if “sender is in a particular address book,” then you cannot use the “stop processing more rules” action with that rule if you want the rest of your rules below that to auto-process. The interesting thing with this bug is that ONE of those types of rules CAN have the “stop processing more rules” action, but all the rest cannot. In other words, if you have a rule that moves an email from someone in your Contacts folder and then another rule that moves an email from someone in your Customers contacts folder, then only one of those rules can have "stop processing more rules" action.

Again, if you always run your rules manually, then the bugs that I have pointed out here don't apply. However, if your Outlook desktop client is not automatically running all of your rules against new emails as they come in, then you might check out what I've posted here. I hope this helps someone else out there since I have been frustrated with this problem for years, and I am happy to have finally found the solution. :)

When a rule’s condition is to check if “sender is in a particular address book,” then you cannot use the “stop processing more rules” action with that rule if you want the rest of your rules below that to auto-process. The interesting thing with this bug is that ONE of those types of rules CAN have the “stop processing more rules” action, but all the rest cannot. In other words, if you have a rule that moves an email from someone in your Contacts folder and then another rule that moves an email from someone in your Customers contacts folder, then only one of those rules can have "stop processing more rules" action.
I'll try to test it and then report it to Microsoft. If stop processing is on both rules and the first has a match, it won't check the second one. But if not a match, it should check the second. But it could be something unique to the address book rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Check for words in subject header before sending email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
G Download pdf attachments only if email subject has one of words Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
F Outlook rule, specific words, not specific words Using Outlook 1
M Macro to Format certain words in email message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
J Auto print PDF attachments as they arrive with certain words in subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
F VBA script to highlight specific words Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V rule to Find some words in the subject, change subject then forward Using Outlook 1
J How to forward mail with specific words - various assumptions - to person? Using Outlook 3
W Recipients of Outlook messages have characters/words missing in body of message Using Outlook 6
R Scanning E-mail for Certain words & changing the background Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
K Can I filter by fields 'containing' specific words? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
L Check sent email and reply if have specific words Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R vba rule exception "except with specific words in the sender's add Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A message body- find any words in my array? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
F Graphics in email / Mac recipient garbled Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2010 recipient no longer shows in 'Send To' Using Outlook 0
S Adding a recipient's column to Sent folder in Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Outlook 365 Copy/Save Emails in Folder Outside Outlook to Show Date Sender Recipient Subject in Header Using Outlook 0
C Automatically Insert Recipient Name from To Field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M Outlook, send to > mail recipient - results in plain text email Using Outlook 1
K Use VBA to find Sender and Recipient from Microsfot 365 Journaled Email Items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
B VBScript doesn't run on Recipient Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M ERROR: None of your email accounts could send to this recipient Using Outlook 2
N Custom Form Controls Not Visible To Recipient Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Daniel Schunk User-defined form arrives empty at the recipient Using Outlook 3
B Looking to get the Recipient email address (or even the "friendly name") from an email I am replying to using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
D Moving Emails Based on Recipient/Sender Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
J Signatures that contain recipient's email address Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
broadbander Needing help with reply/reply all while keeping attachments and adding a new CC recipient. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
L Automatically Insert Recipient Name from To Field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 33
M recipient cache? Using Outlook 2
N Importing Google contacts from CSV file removes recipient names in autocomplete list Using Outlook 0
H How to show recipient email address? Using Outlook 0
R OL2010 - Send to Mail Recipient going to wrong account Using Outlook 1
J Searh For Recipient Email address Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Extracting only one recipient from Msgitem.To Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
Diane Poremsky Display the Recipient Email Address in the Sent Items Folder Using Outlook 0
E Meeting reminders are set for the recipient Exchange Server Administration 9
E Send a Reminder/Task to certain Email Recipient Using Outlook 5
B Recipient of a forwared message getting multiple emails Using Outlook 2
D Outlook VBA to open Excel attachment and send recipient's email address to a workbook cell? Using Outlook 4
E Automatically pick up Recipient's Name on the Body of the Email Message Using Outlook 1
Aussie Looking for Outlook macro to Copy Recipient Names into Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L Outlook underlining all text after being sent to recipient Using Outlook 3
W Change Template Recipient Automatically - Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 5
L Contact Form - Recipient Control Field Using Outlook 2
F Seeing the recipient in sent emails Using Outlook 1
J 2010 appointment for recipient shows as mail Using Outlook 3
K TextBox on Custom Form Page :: Passing value from sender to the recipient Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
K Recipient's name replaced by open and closed brackets! Using Outlook 2