Outlook 2010 and MS Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

barlog

In the past we have successfully used MS Mail accounts with outlook 2002 up to 2007, has outlook 2010 finally killed this, to us, very simple and useful service for our very small office?

Yes, MS Mail is dead in Outlook 2010.

If you have an always on internet connection, check out Office Live - you'll get some free email accounts you can use with either the Outlook Hotmail Connector or POP3.

If you have newer versions of Windows server, they have a POP3 service you can use for internal email.

I did not do anything when I upgraded from 2007 to 2010 and it worked on the 32 bit version. In 2007 I had to add a few files but they are still in my computer.

This is where I found the solution for 2007: http://www.outlook-tips.net/how-to/add-msmail-to-outlook-2007/

I would still like a solution to the 64 bit version, but for now I will just use the 32 bit version. If anybody comes up with a good internal program that does not require an internet connection and works with Outlook, I would be interested in that also.

Paul

MS Mail for 2010

To work MS Mail with 2010 you may need to do the following.

I tried the below and it is working.

1. Install OL 2003, setup MSMAIL and use with 1.82GB pst limit file.

2. Upgrade Office 2003 or Outlook 2003 to Office 2007 or Outlook 2007

3. Open Outlook 2007 make sure the settings are as it is working with MSMAIL.

4. If prompted for MSFSMENU.ECF or MSFSPROP.ECF error while opening the OL 2007 then, close OL and reinstall the MSMAIL2003 installer, and do the settings accordingly as OL2003.

5. Make a few test mails and make sure it is working properly.

6. Upgrade Office 2007 to Office 2010 or OL2007 to OL2010

7. Open OL2010 make sure the settings are as it is working with OL2003/2007.

8. Use OL 97-2002 mode PST file for MS Mail as the default mail delivery.

9. Start OL2010, try to send a mail – you may encounter an “An attempt operation failed, object could not found”.

10. Use the compatibility97-2002 PST File from OL2003 or use 2007 (OL 97-2002 modes PST) (create a blank PST file from an OL2003 PC and copy the same as the default delivery in OL2010) OR add the Post Office Address List users to your contact, then select the users from the contact list than from Address List.

9. I found minor issues on cache file (nick name cache) as when you change the default mail delivery file. – The cache files are disappearing – So I prefer not to change the default PST file rather Archive when it increases the PST size.

10. Also you cannot make the PO Address List as default – instead you have to pull down the Address Book then select the name from the PO Address List. Or you can add the Post Office Address List users to your contact – right click on users then add to contact.

Don’t Give Up – Don’t Ever Give Up

I am happy till for further OL2010 MS Mail problem.

Just tried updating one of my computers to Windows 7 and I got the message :"Your current profile is out of date for this version of microsoft mail service." Any suggestions? It was working fine until I updated to windows 7. Currently using Outlook 2010 and have been able to keep MS Mail working since Outlook 2003. Even have it running on Windows 7 on another computer, but I don't know what is different.

All of my old windows files are saved in windows old. Would I be able to copy my old MS mail accounts from there? When I updated, i had to reinstall the e-mail accounts.

Does anybody know of another way to use inter office mail through Outlook?

Paul

That's a new error to me. I don't know if it has something to do with the file you edited to add ms mail service - if so, you need to copy that from windows.old. (C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\mapisvc.inf) Check the list here - http://www.outlook-tips.net/2011/1727/msmail-outlook-2003 - and verify the files are present in your new windows folders.

If they are, I'd try a new profile with the ms mail service (don't delete the old profile) - you might also need to reinstall the service.

Administrator,

Yes I have those files,re installed the MSMail2003.exe program and copied the files from a computer that works, but still get the same message. I wish there was a way to export my outlook account setting for the MS mail account, but after hours of looking online I can't find a way to do that.

Thanks for you help.

Paul

Are you using 32 or 64 bit Windows 7? An earlier person said they couldn't make it work on 64bit.

You can export the registry settings for your profile - they are in windows messaging subsystem but we don't recommend it as it has the paths to everything and if the computers are not identical (down to the user account name) it won't work.

32 Bit with Window 7, I'm the same person who posted the earlier post. I have it working on another computer with identical software, but have no idea what I did differently.

I have seen where people have said you can export the registry, but only in theory. Not anybody who said it actually worked. Maybe if I was an expert on the registry file I would try it, but I'm not sure I want to mess around with that.

Paul

OK, I have it working again on Windows 7. You must be logged on as the administrator as you go through the installation process.

Here is a brief summary:

-- Log on as administrator - note that you might have to enable the administrator account

-- run ms installer, or configure manually - see http://www.outlook-tips.net/2011/1731/msmail-outlook-2002

-- Go to: control panel, Mail, and create a new profile, add MSMail to that profile. Once the configuration tabs come up you are good. Don't have to configure right now.

-- Now you can log onto the user you want to use and add the account in Outlook.

Thank you Paul Engst for the advice.

Paul Metz

If you do not have MS Mail already on you system, you might find this link useful also - http://www.outlook-tips.net/2011/2749/add-msmail-to-outlook-2007

Status
Not open for further replies.