Text reply mail in Outlook 2010 has automatic margin indent

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWBillow

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
If someone writes me a message in plain text, the margin in their message is flush left. But when I reply to it, my input has the margin indented what appears to be a full tab stop -- and the tabs and whatever else are indented as well, so that the entire reply (only the reply) is moved in.

Now I can see that the margin has been moved in, and if I move it back to the left edge, all is then OK. But what is making it do that and how can I stop it?

And this only happens with text mail, not HTML formatted mail.

?

Regards,

Chuck Billow

Forum Admin

What is your reply setting? File, Options, Mail - about halfway down is the setting for Replies and Forward. If you use Include and indent, you'll get the behavior you see.

reply_format0406.jpg

CWBillow

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
It's not that. I ran across that setting back in Outlook 98. I even totally uninstalled Office, reinstalled, and then tried it again before changing any stationary etc., but checking those setting -- and it still did the same thing.

I am totally baffled, since (it seems that) I am the only one having this problem, since nobody else has popped up and said "Yes, me too!"

It fries me that I can't at least find out what is causing it.

Regards,

Chuck Billow

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Often times, if i can repro it, i can figure out the cause, but i can't repro this.

Which of the reply formats are you using?

Are you using stationery? If so which one?

Is all mail affected or just some? If so, anything linking the messages? Same senders, etc?

CWBillow

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Diane, it's all of them.

I'm backing everything up now, and am going to restore a bare bones setup and then install Outlook, and see what happens.

Chuck

catherized

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
Because it sounds like a file issue, this might work.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
What might work?

Since she is replying to "I'm backing everything up now, and am going to restore a bare bones setup and then install Outlook, and see what happens." It sounds like she thinks restoring a barebones setup will work.

Did it?

CWBillow

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Yes. I walked through the entire install/setup step by step, checking as I went, using a new PST file. All was OK. Then I copied over my old PST file and everything was still fine.

It had to have been some type of corrupted file etc.

Thanks for the help Diane and all.

Regards,

Chuck Billow

Status
Not open for further replies.