crash during account setup - can't delete corrupted account/data file

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactushead

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I have several IMAP accounts setup and just had to create the final account when outlook 2010 froze/crashed.

I reopened outlook and there was an account in the left panel titled " - Outlook 2010"

I always just leave the name as the email address so it should have been that but the crash obviously did something weird.

Inside the account there is only an empty "Inbox" and "Search Folders" - nothing else.

If I select the "inbox" folder it says "Cannot display the folder. The account is not properly configured."

So i went to reconfigure the account and there was not an email account profile associated with it to edit/repair/delete

I then looked at the data files and there a file called " - Outlook 2010" so I tried to delete it but it said "This data file is associated with a mail account. To remove it use the 'E-mail' tab". (which I'd just tried)

As a final resort I deleted the data file manually in the folder on the C drive. It deleted but once I reload Outlook, it is recreated automatically.

The account was obviously corrupted when it crashed during creation of the account but how can I remove it?

I have since created a new account to access the email account and it, as well as my other accounts all work fine - I just need to remove the corrupt account/data file.

Does anyone have a clue as to how to do this as I can't find anything online.

Cheers

Close Outlook. Go to Control panel, search for Mail. Open it and then open your profile and try deleting the corrupt account from there.

I have several email accounts but like I said, none of the them are referring to the data file that is called " - Outlook 2010".

It's like the account that the data file believes is there was never created because of the crash.

All the accounts point to different data files and are all working perfectly well.

I just need to delete this corrupt data file but because it believes it is still linked to an account it won't let me
frown.gif

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Outlook has an account called " - Outlook 2010" on the left panel

Attachments

• email1.jpg
    email1.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,624
When I click on the Inbox I get this

email2.jpg

When I look at the data files there is one data file called " - Outlook 2010" which is what I need to delete

email3.jpg

However when i try to remove it, I get this message even though there is no email account associated with this data file.

email4.jpg

The profile is corrupt and i was hoping you could delete the bad acct from the mail applet as it would be the easiest. You could try editing the registry but it might just make things worse - a new profile might be the fastest and easiest fix.

To delete it from the registry, find the windows messaging subsystem key -

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

look for the subkey that expands - it should have a folder under it for each account in the profile. The corrupt account is there too.

Thanks Diane

I opted for the registry method and it worked :D

To find the correct one to delete I selected each and double clicked on the Account Name value which then showed the ascii conversion of the hex value.

Found the " - Outlook 2010" account which had so many values missing and deleted it.

Funny thing was it was the account numbered 000000013 - unlucky for me;)

Once deleted I ran Outlook and the account was gone and I could then delete the data file with no problem.

How funny that it was account #13. glad to hear it's working now.

Glad I found this post - it solved my identical problem.

Even more spooky, it was account #13 for me too.......

Hmmm. It sounds like there is a limit of 13 accounts. Were they all IMAP?

The profile is corrupt and i was hoping you could delete the bad acct from the mail applet as it would be the easiest. You could try editing the registry but it might just make things worse - a new profile might be the fastest and easiest fix.

To delete it from the registry, find the windows messaging subsystem key -

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

look for the subkey that expands - it should have a folder under it for each account in the profile. The corrupt account is there too.

I have the same problem, and I tried to follow this and there are several folders and I am unable to determine the correct folder. I could really use some help.

Is it an imap account? How many accounts are in your profile?

see this screenshot - http://screencast.com/t/4SZbraMlPSG5 - it's of an imap account and you should have that many keys. On the left side of the registry editor, expand the account keys and check the Account name on the right. Double click to open the Account name key and check the account name. Does each one match a valid account in your profile?

Is it an imap account? How many accounts are in your profile?

see this screenshot - http://screencast.com/t/4SZbraMlPSG5 - it's of an imap account and you should have that many keys. On the left side of the registry editor, expand the account keys and check the Account name on the right. Double click to open the Account name key and check the account name. Does each one match a valid account in your profile?

Thanks. That helped. I was able to delete the corrupted account. The screen shot really helped.

I have the same problem but in the registry I can't get beyond
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\
the remainder of the path: Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles is not present.
I m using 2013 on Windows 8.1 and Outlook frooze while creating a 4th IMAP account (in this case Gmail).
In an effort to resolve the problem I deleted the other 3 but that still didn't allow me to delete the erroneous 4th account. As you can see in the attached file (appologies for the Dutch interterace):
- the email account 'schoolsport...'is visible in Outlook,
- but not on the Settings email tab
- while on the Settings datafile tab the .ost file is shown.
IMAP.png

Status
Not open for further replies.