Outlook 2010 - search works on one system but not other - identical configurat

Status
Not open for further replies.

x509

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I'm looking for suggestions to solve this problem. My tech skills are pretty good. I have no problem doing registry edits or changing Group Policy, if necessary. This is my first post on this forum.

I use Outlook 2010 64 on both a laptop and desktop. The desktop runs Windows 7 64 bit PRO. The laptop runs Windows 7 64 bit ULTIMATE. Both systems have Office 2010 installed, with Outlook options the same on both installs, with one exception, noted below. Both systems have Windows Search enabled, with identical configurations except for the drive letters. (Desktop system has E: and F: drives, but not the laptop.)

On the laptop system Outlook search works the same as it did on my old Outlook, which was OL 2003. On the desktop, search does not work. I've checked the "obvious" factors, such as not running Outlook in admin mode.

I recently did an experiment which may point to the real problem. On my desktop, I rebuilt the search index after disabling (Advanced button) search on PST file type. After re-indexing was complete, no difference in the number of indexed items.

The exception to the Outlook installs having identical configurations is that my company recently moved email from a POP3/SMTP server to Exchange. This is a consulting company, and we are expected to supply our own equipment. I use my laptop for both personal and business, with separate PST files with separate INBOXES. When we converted to Exchange, I didn't want to copy over all my PST folders into Exchange, because the business PST file is almost 2 GB, beyond the limit we have set for this service. I was able to configure the Exchange install to redirect email to the existing PST file, and that has worked for several weeks now without any problems.

Why is file type PST not being indexed?

Thank you for reading this lengthy description.

Re: Outlook 2010 - search works on one system but not other - identical config

How are you redirecting the mail to a pst? While its probably not the issue, you really should use Exchange cached mode and if you need to move mailto a pst file, use rules or move it to a pst to archive it. Don't deliver to a pst directly.

Do you have instant search enabled for the pst file? Click in the Search field to show to the search toolbar then Search tools > locations to sarch. Are all of your pst files selected?

Re: Outlook 2010 - search works on one system but not other - identical config

How are you redirecting the mail to a pst? While its probably not the issue, you really should use Exchange cached mode and if you need to move mailto a pst file, use rules or move it to a pst to archive it. Don't deliver to a pst directly.

Sorry for not replying sooner. I will reconfigure the desktop so that my Exchange-based account works the way you suggest.

Do you have instant search enabled for the pst file? Click in the Search field to show to the search toolbar then Search tools > locations to sarch. Are all of your pst files selected?

Yes, I do. What is interesting is that indexing seems to ignore the PST files. I verified this by modifying Instant Search to not index PST files, and then let the index rebuild. The result was the exact same count of indexed items. So it appears that something, somehow, is causing the Windows Index process to skip over my PST files. I wish I knew why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Outlook 2010 duplicates when I do a search only Using Outlook 1
F Outlook 2010 Search Appointment Notes Using Outlook 0
R Clip art search alway no result found in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2013 search broken after upgrade from 2010 Using Outlook 0
Z Outlook 2010 client to Exchange ,,,,search not working proparly Exchange Server Administration 0
I Outlook 2010 Search Folder criteria for all mails to and from external domain Using Outlook 9
D Icloud Outlook 2010 Task/Reminder Search Problem Using Outlook 1
F Outlook 2010 Activities search finds nothing Using Outlook 4
D Search iCloud contacts from Outlook 2010 CTRL-E Using Outlook 4
mrje1 Outlook 2010 search not working Using Outlook 3
Commodore Outlook 2010 - Search Folders position Using Outlook 6
L Outlook 2010 Instant Search Pops When I Click Using Outlook 6
S Instant Search in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 32
C Outlook 2010 search for question mark in calendar Using Outlook 7
P Outlook 2010 search of PST files doesn't work unless in cached mode Using Outlook 3
T Permanent Removal of RSS feeds folder amd Search folder in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 10
S Outlook 2010: How do you enable Contacts' Activities to search archive folders Using Outlook 6
S Outlook 2010 Terminalserver Cache Mode Instant Search Using Outlook 4
S Adding a recipient's column to Sent folder in Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Can emails from Gmail be deleted when they are downloaded to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C What folders are needed when reinstalling Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Gmail in Outlook 2010 preview issue Using Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 Help setting up Gmail account in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2016 Unable to view images or logos on the outlook 2016 emails the same html code works well when i use outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
M Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 with O365 / Exchange Online Using Outlook 0
F Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 and GMail Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2007 vs. Outlook 2010 -- ToDo Bar Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i I think it may be time to upgrade from Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
T Why does outlook 2010 convert only some forum notifications to plain text? Using Outlook 0
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Outlook 2010 Problem with OutLook 2010 32 bit, after Windows Auto Update Using Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2010 account setup fails in particular domain Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010 is Auto Purging when not configured for that Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2010 Reading Pane Slows Startup Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
B Outlook 2010 Can not find a certain file in M/S Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 1
Mark Foley Cannot enable add-in in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
W Outlook 2010 some sent items marked unread now (was Ok before) Using Outlook 0
RBLampert Updating from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 365 Using Outlook 0
L What are the risks of opening an Outlook 2016 .pst file in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4
S Unable to remove rule outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
N Outlook 2010 Flag blocked for Safe Senders List???? Using Outlook 7
dweller Outlook 2010 Rule Ignores VBA Script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Mark Foley Unable to subscribe to published calendar in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
K Maximum Categorize Shortcuts In Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1
E Unable to open Outlook 2010 after adding new email account Using Outlook 4
RBLampert Outlook 2010 no longer (?) shrinks large images Using Outlook 4
N Outlook 2010 will not send nor receive Using Outlook 4