Outlook-Program Not Closing Properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

asiciliano

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I am having trouble closing my Outlook(2010 program). I am having to do a force shutdown, CTRL ALT Delete, as the program does not respond when I try closing from the File-Close or even using the X on the top right hand corner of the program. I am wondering if this could be related to an software install or, a profile issue?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

asiciliano

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Would this include an upgrade to office communicator like am IM program?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
possibly, but only if it is logging conversations, although i have not noticed issues with lync or communication 2007 r2. if you aren't saving conversations in outlook, it's less likely to cause issues.

asiciliano

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I believe outlook automatically saves/logs your conversation historys. When you say addins do you mean a spyware? I really appreciate your help with this.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
No, its very rarely spyware. It's always something that uses outlook data. Test it using Outlook in Safe mode and see if it works ok.

Close Outlook. Hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon to start in Safe mode.

Redrebel54

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
This problem has given me some severe headaches over the last few weeks, and I have found out that the pst files need to be kept as small as possible. To add to this little problem it appears that Outlook does not like the pst files to be resident on a server, and will hang if you have your data files pointed to a share on your server. This is a big shame, as most enterprises will not cater for files on local machines, especially files that need to be backed up (understandably so).

I have got around this by ensuring the affected users pst files are on the local machine, but this does give me the problem of ensuring these users have their pst files backed up in one way or another. I amended our shut down scripts to copy the pst files to the server when the user logs off so that they are backed up daily. But, out of the dozen or so staff who use Outlook, only 2 have had this problem, and why that should be the case I really have no idea, as they were all built from the same image, and they all use the same hardware/software configurations.

So, if anyone has any bright ideas on that, it would be great to hear them. Also, if anyone knows whether MS actually have this as an issue, as I have seen this problem posted on a number of blogs, and so far, no word from silicon valley:(

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
network storage of pst files is not supported and can result in data loss. microsoft does not support it and we discourage its use. The problem is with network activity - outlook is very 'talkative' and if the network connectivity is lost while its talking, the data file can be corrupted.

if you are storing pst files on the network for backup purposes, use a log on script to copy the pst file before outlook opens.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
also, i prefer log on scripts to log off because the pst can't be copied if outlook (or an addin) has it open. it can take up to 10 min for outlook to drop the hold (there is a key you can use to make it drop it faster)

Redrebel54

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Thanks for that Diane. Good point re logon scripts, but I needed a quick fix and it's done the trick for now, but to alleviate any future issues can you tell me the key needed so I can get Outlook dropped ASAP please? Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Program Checkbox that will activate a text box in a Outlook fallible form. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Outlook "A program is trying to access Outlook" Using Outlook 3
J it goes like outlook has stopped working, a problem caused the program to stop working correctly, wi Using Outlook 2
J My Outlook program has stopped receiving. I can still send Using Outlook 1
A outlook 2007 - there is no email program associated ... Using Outlook 3
J A program is trying to access e-mail address you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this. Using Outlook 2
J Outlook search index not saved - rebuilds every time I start the program Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 2007 cannot open files to start program Using Outlook 1
K I have 26 mail in my webmail which is not coming in Outlook 2010 when I open the program.__some mail from my webmail has been loaded into Outlook when Using Outlook 2
F Outlook process won't end after I quit the program Using Outlook 2
M Outlook says the PST files is in use by another program - but it is not? Using Outlook 2
K Windows7 + Outlook 2010: "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this compute Using Outlook 2
J How to change the program that Outlook assigns to open attachments Using Outlook 1
N When I try to import a large CSV from Excel to an Outlook folder, the program crashes... Every time. Using Outlook 2
S Outside Program trying to Access Outlook E-mail Using Outlook 2
E Outlook 2010 always focused as the main program in use Using Outlook 1
C How do I disable Outlook warning dialogue box "A Program is trying to send an e-mail message on your Using Outlook 2
C Not receiving/sending email with Outlook (established program). Using Outlook 4
P unable to use Send To Mail Recipient or from any other program to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
A windows not detecting outlook pro 2010 64 bit as the default mail program Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2010 version 14 downloads all messages from the server everytime you start the program Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2002 (SP3): Even though I've checked 'Remember my password,' Outlook still requires that I enter it every time I open the program ea Using Outlook 3
S MICROSOFT OFFICE OUTLOOK HAS STOPPED WORKING. Error: A problem caused the program to stop working co Using Outlook 2
C Microsoft Outlook: cannot open program when clicking on the icon Using Outlook 2
D A program that automatically configures email account in Outlook and Outlook Express Using Outlook 4
O Outlook is the default program but it is not showing up in the default table Using Outlook 1
G opening attachments from an email closes the program and restarts outlook 90% of the time Using Outlook 2
K Reading saved emails from old Outlook program in the new 2010 Outlook program Using Outlook 1
B Sending item shown in another program to an Outlook Contact Using Outlook 2
K Outlook icons (shortcuts or files) - including outlook.exe in Program Files will not work - can only Using Outlook 3
D Outlook 2007 won't open without granting access to the program. Using Outlook 5
M When using the calendar in Outlook 2007 the program stops responding to windows. Using Outlook 5
J I inadvertenly blocked MS Outlook from opening as whenever I opened a program mu user settings would ask me if I wanted to open it. Now it states it Using Outlook 8
J C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft OPffice\Office\outlook.exe Using Outlook 7
A How do I remove an add-in from my uninstalled virus protection program that was attached to Outlook. Using Outlook 7
K Outlook 2010 Compatible Antivirus Program Using Outlook 2
L Default program of attachments on outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2010 not recognized as default email program by Blackberry Using Outlook 21
R Access Program Only Looping Part Way Through Outlook Inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Need to establish Outlook 2010 as default email program. Using Outlook 7
D microsoft outlook has stopped working, close program, windows will check for solution Using Outlook 9
R how to (re)set the default data file for Outlook in a VB program Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Outlook 2003 - A program is trying to access e-mail addresses Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
G GAL program acces in outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Run external program from Outlook VBA macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
N How to attach a file with MS Outlook, from a program? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Q why this program doesn't work if Outlook is not manually launched? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
V how to switchoff program access message in outlook 2003 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Program Compatibility Issue - Outlook 2003 BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
S how to disable outlook security messages "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have st Using Outlook 5