Outlook-Program Not Closing Properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

asiciliano

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I am having trouble closing my Outlook(2010 program). I am having to do a force shutdown, CTRL ALT Delete, as the program does not respond when I try closing from the File-Close or even using the X on the top right hand corner of the program. I am wondering if this could be related to an software install or, a profile issue?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

It's usually the result of an addin or app that uses Outlook data file. What addins do you have installed? Any utilties that use outlook data - like sync tools or antivirus scanner that scans email ?

Would this include an upgrade to office communicator like am IM program?

possibly, but only if it is logging conversations, although i have not noticed issues with lync or communication 2007 r2. if you aren't saving conversations in outlook, it's less likely to cause issues.

I believe outlook automatically saves/logs your conversation historys. When you say addins do you mean a spyware? I really appreciate your help with this.

No, its very rarely spyware. It's always something that uses outlook data. Test it using Outlook in Safe mode and see if it works ok.

Close Outlook. Hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon to start in Safe mode.

This problem has given me some severe headaches over the last few weeks, and I have found out that the pst files need to be kept as small as possible. To add to this little problem it appears that Outlook does not like the pst files to be resident on a server, and will hang if you have your data files pointed to a share on your server. This is a big shame, as most enterprises will not cater for files on local machines, especially files that need to be backed up (understandably so).

I have got around this by ensuring the affected users pst files are on the local machine, but this does give me the problem of ensuring these users have their pst files backed up in one way or another. I amended our shut down scripts to copy the pst files to the server when the user logs off so that they are backed up daily. But, out of the dozen or so staff who use Outlook, only 2 have had this problem, and why that should be the case I really have no idea, as they were all built from the same image, and they all use the same hardware/software configurations.

So, if anyone has any bright ideas on that, it would be great to hear them. Also, if anyone knows whether MS actually have this as an issue, as I have seen this problem posted on a number of blogs, and so far, no word from silicon valley:(

network storage of pst files is not supported and can result in data loss. microsoft does not support it and we discourage its use. The problem is with network activity - outlook is very 'talkative' and if the network connectivity is lost while its talking, the data file can be corrupted.

if you are storing pst files on the network for backup purposes, use a log on script to copy the pst file before outlook opens.

also, i prefer log on scripts to log off because the pst can't be copied if outlook (or an addin) has it open. it can take up to 10 min for outlook to drop the hold (there is a key you can use to make it drop it faster)

Thanks for that Diane. Good point re logon scripts, but I needed a quick fix and it's done the trick for now, but to alleviate any future issues can you tell me the key needed so I can get Outlook dropped ASAP please? Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Program Checkbox that will activate a text box in a Outlook fallible form. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Outlook "A program is trying to access Outlook" Using Outlook 3
J it goes like outlook has stopped working, a problem caused the program to stop working correctly, wi Using Outlook 2
J My Outlook program has stopped receiving. I can still send Using Outlook 1
A outlook 2007 - there is no email program associated ... Using Outlook 3
R Access Program Only Looping Part Way Through Outlook Inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R how to (re)set the default data file for Outlook in a VB program Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Outlook 2003 - A program is trying to access e-mail addresses Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
G GAL program acces in outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Run external program from Outlook VBA macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
N How to attach a file with MS Outlook, from a program? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Q why this program doesn't work if Outlook is not manually launched? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
V how to switchoff program access message in outlook 2003 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Program Compatibility Issue - Outlook 2003 BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
T How to get an EVENT COLOR option in Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 0
K How can I delete an e-mail from Outlook Using Outlook 1
V Outlook Error The Attempted operation Failed. An Object Could Not be found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Yahoo/IMAP folder rename by Outlook desktop 365 Using Outlook 0
A Outlook 2019 folder counter Using Outlook 0
A Relocate Search Bar in Outlook Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Need clarification on 2-Step Verification for Gmail using Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 10
L Opening People Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2021 not letting me setup my Gmail using pop Using Outlook 1
Geldner Problem submitting SPAM using Outlook VBA Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Outlook 2016 outlook vba to look into shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Can no longer sync Outlook with iPhone calendar after iPhone update to 17.1.1 Using Outlook 7
O Outlook - Switch from Exchange to IMAP Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is it possible to have a reminder in Outlook 2021 for every 90 days Using Outlook 3