Missing Contact?

cjc182

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi,

I am having trouble understanding how Outlook manages contacts.

I set up a contact in Outlook (or so I thought) but when I searched for it in "contacts" it did not show. Outlook suggested I search in "all contacts: and there is was.

Can someone help me understand the difference?

Thanks,

Chris

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
How many contacts folders do you see on the Contacts navigation pane? Which folder is the contact in?

Each account in your profile may have its own contacts folder, plus in outlook 2010, you'll have 'suggested contacts' which are people you emailed that Outlook didn't find in your main contacts folder. (it's not always good at looking for the contacts so you might have duplicates there. :))

If you have more than one email account, outlook will add new contacts to the contacts folder of the account your are currently viewing.

cjc182

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi Diane,

I found missing contacts in the "Suggested Contacts" folder, so thanks for explaining that to me. I dragged the missing contacts to the "My Contacts" folder. Is that the best way to move them?

Also, can you tell me the difference between "My Contacts" and "Shared Contacts?"

Chris

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
dragging is as easy as any method...

do you mean suggested contacts or shared contacts?

Contacts is your main contacts folder. Suggested contacts are the people you send email to that are not in your contacts, and shared contacts are contacts other people on your exchange server shared with you.