Items missing in Sent folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
A friend called me to say her Sent items folder is missing all the emails sent in the last week. When I took a look, I noticed that her computer date was wrong, it was showing July 21 yesterday, a month behind. She said there was a power failure and that may have caused that possibly.

Anyway, I fixed the date, and now it is correctly retaining the emails that I sent as a test.
But she needs to see if we can find the missing sent emails, since she is an insurance agent and is supposed to retain all sent emails.

The email address is POP3, so the server does not retain them. I also checked on her Godaddy webmail, didn't really expect to find them there, and I didn't.

Do you think the missing sent emails are a result of the calendar error?
Might there be any way to try and recover them?

She does use Carbonite, so it might have some backups of the pst files.

Thanks

They would the the result of the time issue - and should be filed under the wrong time - if the computer was set to July 21, they would be date stamped July 14-21. She cant find them at if she searches?

I did search several searches for keywords or by addressee, and they are not there.

Thanks

If they were saved (and they should be), they would be under the date the computer used when the messages were sent. Outlook wouldn't not save them because the date is wrong (it has not idea what day it is).

If you said the sender didn't receive, i'd understand - some servers wont accept mail if the time is wrong. It's a less common problem with POP accounts as the server will usually use its time, not the senders time.

I also went into Carbonite to look for copies, and it seems to only be backing up the pst file about once a week, sometimes longer. Is that normal? Is it only detecting it as changed if Outlook is closed or re-opened?

If they were saved (and they should be), they would be under the date the computer used when the messages were sent. Outlook wouldn't not save them because the date is wrong (it has not idea what day it is).

If you said the sender didn't receive, i'd understand - some servers wont accept mail if the time is wrong. It's a less common problem with POP accounts as the server will usually use its time, not the senders time.

She said she was unsure if they were received or not. I'll see if she can find out.
Thanks

It should be backing it up as often as it backed up other files. If you are doing incremental backups. it will skip it if the file time isn't updated, but its always updated when outlook is open. Cabornite is generally pretty good about backing up data files in use (one of the few backup utilities that does this) but its possible that it couldn't do the backup for some reason.

Yes, I thought that Carbonite should have a lot more copies of the pst. It pretty much backs up every changed file within a few minutes, usually. But I am seeing the pst file going for as much as 2 weeks without a new copy by Carbonite. Odd.

Either they changed carbonite and it can no longer backup data files that are in use or the backup settings exclude it.

Yes, I've been monitoring a pst file on my outlook as we've been conversing, and the time on it is changing every 10 or 15 minutes.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
O Outlook 365 - Toolbar - Close all items - missing? Using Outlook 3
C Export to excel missing items, but a larger total? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
H "For Follow Up" items missing. Using Outlook 5
H Outlook 2010 Advanced Find - Menu items missing Using Outlook 1
P turn off the default "all day" check box in new calendar items. How? Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 365 (OutLook For Mac)Move "On My Computer" Folder Items From Old To New Mac Computer Using Outlook 3
Kika Melo Outlook Calendar deleted appointments not in Deleted Items folder Using Outlook 3
icacream Outlook 2021 Win 10 - Nothing goes in my Drafts or Sent items folders ! Using Outlook 1
M using excel to sort outlook appointment items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
K Changing the Deleted Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 2
R Adding Userform Dropdown List items from names of subfolders on network drive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
C How to search for items in Outbox with multiple accounts? Using Outlook 20
N How to add or delete items to Move dropdown Menu Using Outlook 0
sophievldn Looking for a macro that moves completed items from subfolders to other subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
wayneame Changing the Form Used by Existing Task Items in a Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
K How to share multiple calendar items Using Outlook 1
F Wishlist Outlook suddenly began synchronizing deleted items every time I delete a single email. Using Outlook 2
D Autosort macro for items in a view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Names in sent items suddenly show as Bob Smith (bobsmith@sample.com) Using Outlook 3
M Messages Intermittently Dont Arrive In Sent Items After Sending Successfully Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2016 Outlook not saving Sent Items Using Outlook 4
G Retention Policy for Outlook.com Deleted Items folder Using Outlook 0
M Outlook on 3 Computers Shows Different Total Items on Same Account Using Outlook 3
B oContacts.Items.Restrict Misses Some Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
T Changing Sent Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 0
K Use VBA to find Sender and Recipient from Microsfot 365 Journaled Email Items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Connect to server to views items Using Outlook 0
D Mail in Sent Items Gone Using Outlook 12
R How to get the Items object of the default mailbox of a specific account in a multiple account Outlook? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Cannot copy this folder because it may contain private items Using Outlook 0
GregS Outlook 2016 Sent Mail absent from Sent Mail or Sent Items Folders Using Outlook 4
C How to use VBA to show only items x days old or more Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Increasing the number of items that appear on the Categories list Using Outlook 2
T How can you include Junk Email in Search Results like you can include Deleted Items? Using Outlook 3
King Mustard Sort search groups by amount of items? Using Outlook 1
J Sent Items Folder NOT Showing Correct From Email Address Using Outlook 0
C Pull Outlook shared calendars items from Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
J Outlook Reply > From > Other Email Address... > Address Not Showing in Sent Items... From Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
GregS Outlook 2016 Sent Items vs Sent Messages Using Outlook 2
M Sent mail not showing in Sent Items folder; but they can be found with Search Using Outlook 3
A Order of Recent Items in Attach File List Using Outlook 5
W Outlook 2010 some sent items marked unread now (was Ok before) Using Outlook 0
D Unopened message in inbox deleted and not in deleted items Using Outlook 3
T "cannot find the calendar folder for this item" - calendar items stuck in outbox Using Outlook 0
R Exporting recovered Deleted Items outside the Inbox Using Outlook 1
Commodore Folders always closed in move/copy items dialog box Using Outlook 3
B Clear Offline Items (Mail Folder) via VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Move email items based on a list of email addresses Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 40
R Retention periods and Deleted Items Using Outlook 7
P Deleted Items - Unable to Iterate All of Items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1