Items missing in Sent folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
A friend called me to say her Sent items folder is missing all the emails sent in the last week. When I took a look, I noticed that her computer date was wrong, it was showing July 21 yesterday, a month behind. She said there was a power failure and that may have caused that possibly.

Anyway, I fixed the date, and now it is correctly retaining the emails that I sent as a test.
But she needs to see if we can find the missing sent emails, since she is an insurance agent and is supposed to retain all sent emails.

The email address is POP3, so the server does not retain them. I also checked on her Godaddy webmail, didn't really expect to find them there, and I didn't.

Do you think the missing sent emails are a result of the calendar error?
Might there be any way to try and recover them?

She does use Carbonite, so it might have some backups of the pst files.

Thanks

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I did search several searches for keywords or by addressee, and they are not there.

Thanks

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
If they were saved (and they should be), they would be under the date the computer used when the messages were sent. Outlook wouldn't not save them because the date is wrong (it has not idea what day it is).

If you said the sender didn't receive, i'd understand - some servers wont accept mail if the time is wrong. It's a less common problem with POP accounts as the server will usually use its time, not the senders time.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I also went into Carbonite to look for copies, and it seems to only be backing up the pst file about once a week, sometimes longer. Is that normal? Is it only detecting it as changed if Outlook is closed or re-opened?

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
If they were saved (and they should be), they would be under the date the computer used when the messages were sent. Outlook wouldn't not save them because the date is wrong (it has not idea what day it is).

If you said the sender didn't receive, i'd understand - some servers wont accept mail if the time is wrong. It's a less common problem with POP accounts as the server will usually use its time, not the senders time.
She said she was unsure if they were received or not. I'll see if she can find out.
Thanks

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
It should be backing it up as often as it backed up other files. If you are doing incremental backups. it will skip it if the file time isn't updated, but its always updated when outlook is open. Cabornite is generally pretty good about backing up data files in use (one of the few backup utilities that does this) but its possible that it couldn't do the backup for some reason.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Yes, I thought that Carbonite should have a lot more copies of the pst. It pretty much backs up every changed file within a few minutes, usually. But I am seeing the pst file going for as much as 2 weeks without a new copy by Carbonite. Odd.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Either they changed carbonite and it can no longer backup data files that are in use or the backup settings exclude it.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Yes, I've been monitoring a pst file on my outlook as we've been conversing, and the time on it is changing every 10 or 15 minutes.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.