ScanPST.exe Missing Repair Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

makinmyway

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I'm using Windows 10 and Outlook 2013 and when I run the ScanPST.exe repeatedly it continues to find and repair errors until about the third pass when it tells me there are errors and I need to click Repair to fix them but there is no repair button, just the Okay button. Why is this happening? Can ScanPST.exe itself get corrupted and need to be reinstalled?

Diane, thank you for your reply. And yes it tells me each time it has errors and needs to repair them. I've run into this three times (and it always happens after two passes before it trying to repair the PST). I eventually opened the PST in safe mode and started turning off add-on's until I found it was the iCloud add-on that was causing Outlook to freeze. I reinstalled the app and then tried to run the ScanPST.exe and got to the third pass and it did as before with the missing Repair button but saying there were still errors. At least now I am able to use the PST but it worries me that there are still errors that can't be corrected. Do you think I need to create a new PST and move contents from the old into it?

@makinmyway: If I may offer some advice from my recent experience...

I had a PST file that ScanPST.exe couldn't fix. The first two passes reduced, then eliminated the errors having to do with the usual csFree and refcounts. But on the third pass, ScanPST window said:
Only minor inconsistencies were found in this file. Repairing the file is optional. To repair it, click Repair.
(The 'Make backup...' and 'Browse...' buttons are grayed out and there is no Repair button, only an OK button.)

In addition, under the 'Attempting to walk all folders' section, the log file had lines that said:
'Failed to add row to the FLT, RowID = 1EC'
(many of these lines with different hex numbers after the equals sign)

In short, my 'repaired' PST file, like yours, continued to cause Outlook to hang randomly. ScanPST and Outlook may have been OK with the remaining errors, but one of my add-ins must not have been. (I have iCloud too, but I never bothered to isolate the problem.)

I sprung for DataNumen's Outlook Repair v5.3, a very powerful, but very expensive tool, to see if the PST file was as bad as I thought. It was. It found a lot of missing/duplicate/hidden messages, folders, attachments, and some complete garbage in the PST file. I wound up manually copying my messages and other data from DataNumen's repaired file to a fresh, new, PST file and Outlook has been stable for a couple of months now.

TL;DR: If your PST file is causing Outlook (or an add-in) to crash/hang/freeze, each episode will further corrupt the PST file, so copy your Outlook items to a new PST file and resolve the problem.

Diane, thank you for your reply. And yes it tells me each time it has errors and needs to repair them. I've run into this three times (and it always happens after two passes before it trying to repair the PST). I eventually opened the PST in safe mode and started turning off add-on's until I found it was the iCloud add-on that was causing Outlook to freeze. I reinstalled the app and then tried to run the ScanPST.exe and got to the third pass and it did as before with the missing Repair button but saying there were still errors. At least now I am able to use the PST but it worries me that there are still errors that can't be corrected. Do you think I need to create a new PST and move contents from the old into it?
Does the pst open in outlook? i so, then yes, create a new pst and import it.

Diane and NetPilot, what is lost when you copy the contents to a new PST? That is are all settings and preferences imported to the new PST if I simply move the folders over to my new PST?

When you move or copy items to a new pst all you get is the item. You may lose custom views or custom forms, if you're using either, and the master list of color categories if the pst was the default pst. Categories assigned to items are still those items but they will all be white and won't be on the master list. Settings and preferences are in the profile - that is not affected by a new pst.

I see. Well I have tried moving contacts, notes, tasks and mail to a new PST and run the Scan PST repeatedly and get three passes as before on both the old and the new PST files finding and repairing errors each time until the third pass ends with a repair saying there are still more errors and to click the repair button to fix them but as before there is no repair button after three passes. This is happening to the new PST as well as the old one and the new one really has not been used just opened and closed a couple of times. Is it necessary to have a PST not report errors? Do you advise me against just using it as it is?

The button will only be present if the pst needs repaired... it's normal to have a few errors in it, but if there always a lot, then something (often antivirus or sync software) is accessing the pst and causing corruption.

Oh that is good to read. So even if it reports after a pass that there are errors and yet no Repair button visible to hit as instructed, I should not worry, correct? It seems I get this message on the third pass and then am unable to complete another pass for lack of a Repair button to push as told by the software I am to do.

Correct, don't worry if there are errors but Outlook doesn't want you to fix them.

Ok. Then I won't worry and try to fix them. Thanks, Diane, for reassuring me. I was going crazy trying to repair the PST file. :p

Correct, don't worry if there are errors but Outlook doesn't want you to fix them.
This problem has existed since at least Outlook 2010 and I reported it to MS then. I check around every couple years to see if there's anything new.

After running scanpst anywhere from 2-7 times, it will report "Errors were found in this file. To repair these errors, click Repair" but not show a Repair button.

If I run Outlook, then exit, I can run scanpst again a few times before it comes up with the instruction to click Repair, but no repair button.

I just reinstalled Office 2016 from scratch to see if it would help. It doesn't.

I've also re-created the Outlook.pst file, though I copied the same calendar and contact items into it.

I no longer keep any mail in Outlook.pst (use all imap accounts), so it has nothing to do with mail content.

When I've had the patience, I've run scanpst 80-90 times and it eventually says that there are no errors.

There are no obvious problems with using the pst file, but it concerns me that things may be getting lost.

Two things: you shouldn't be running scanpst in hopes of preventing corruption - it can introduce it instead - and you should need to run scanpst more than 3 times when the pst is actually corrupt. Honestly, you should wait for Outlook to tell you to run it (it will run it automatically to fix errors- that's why it sometimes takes longer to start outlook).

Antivirus scanners and anything that accesses the pst can cause corruption and you should avoid using them when possible, especially antivirus scanners - they should not scan psts. Otherwise, the pst should be relatively problem free - unless outlook doesn't shut down properly (can be caused by sync or search utilities).

Diane
You have often been my solution for years. Thank you.
I have been searching the issue Failed to add row to the FLT. Some posting the issue arises with a new pst. It seems MS needs to be prodded toward a fix. I'm concerned about what I will lose if moving everything to a new pst.

I'm having similar issue. Several days ago, Outlook would not open; folders cannot be opened; errors detected in the .pst and use scanpst.exe. I've ran scanpst.exe multiple times. The first 2 (or possibly 3 times) the repair button showed and I clicked it, and it ran. However it did not resolve the issue. I've continued to run scanpst.exe several more times and when it finishes the REPAIR button does not show up, even though the message says to repair the file.
I've tried starting in safe mode... won't open
I've ran Malwarebytes ... no change
I've ran Norton Power Eraser ... no change
I've Reset extend.dat and outcmd.dat by renaming them to .old when Outlook is closed. Sill wouldn't open.

After finding your posts here, I definitely don't want to make things worse. I have not tried to create a new pst file and copy things over from the problem pst file, because I do have a lot of color coded categories, and the file is pretty big... @ 17,937,361KB (I know I should have learned to archive!)

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.