Custom Form that allows a single SMTP header to be parsed to Field Chooser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromejob

Outlook version
Email Account
IMAP
I want to use Outlook (11, "2003") to view a CATCH-ALL mailbox[1] via IMAP4 and display, among other SMTP values, the "X-ORIGINAL-TO:" value. Why? I'm reviewing spam being sent to my domain, and many spam messages spoof the TO: field, as well as the FROM:. Some leave it blank (or BCC the address on my domain that was used).

[1] (Sorry, not on Exchange. Mailman or Sendmail on my domain hosted service.)

The headers are stored in PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS (Tag num: 0x007D001E). I've created a custom form using instructions here and using OutlookSpy v2, that displays the field, but of course that puts the entire SMTP header in a field in the message list table view. I want to filter that.

The SMTP headers can be viewed by opening a message, through options, sure; I just want the one header line. Outlook offers me the ability to see at a glance various values in the table view ... this one just seems to be a bit more difficult.

Has anyone executed a solution for this that I can adapt? Perhaps something using RegEx?

TIA!

Chromejob

Outlook version
Email Account
IMAP
Re: Custom Form that allows a single SMTP header to be parsed to Field Chooser

Example of Outlook displaying spam message values (suspect values highlighted). You can see that opening messages up one at a time to correlate this nonsense would be impractical and time-consuming. Outlook is all about productivity! :)

201202292215_outlook_showing_spammer_spoofing.jpg

Chromejob

Outlook version
Email Account
IMAP
Re: Custom Form that allows a single SMTP header to be parsed to Field Chooser

Thanks, Diane! I came here on the recommendation on the other site that you answer questions here ... I didn't expect such a quick answer. :)

Please consider it as an intellectual puzzle as I suspect it's not something tons of users want to do (or would do on the server side instead of client-side). I also realize that another approach might be more effective, e.g. filtering all messages to dynamic folders based on the x-original-to value, thereby exposing the target addresses that way, versus in the single-folder table view.

It was a fun exercise following the instructions linked above, all the same.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I'm hot and cold this week on fast answers - I'm in seattle for meetings with the product group and answer what i can between meetings. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to be able to ask the product group for the answer. <g
For this, I will ask the guys who wrote the efc and instructions. They will know if its possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.