Inbox Search Results won't update when deleting or moving an email

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
Prior to our upgrade to Exchange Server 2010 (from 2003), I could delete items from the search results from an Inbox search and they would delete out of the search results. Now with Exchange Server 2010, the search results don't update when I delete/move the email. Anyone else experience this? Thanks in advance.

I believe its a change in how it works in online mode. i'll double check in the morning.

I cannot delete old messages from the Inbox in any manner (Delete button; pulldown menu; one at a time; all at once; empty folder). They are stuck there forever.

I use IMAP with Gmail, but it isn't a pretty partnership. Any ideas?

I have a PC running Win7, Outlook 2010, 32-bit.

You should be able to delete the messages (based on your delete setting for the account) in any normal mail folder. Deleting from search results may not work.

Go to File, Account Settings, double click on the gmail account, click More Settings, then look at the Deleted items tab. What are your settings? Does it work better if you change them?

You should be able to delete the messages (based on your delete setting for the account) in any normal mail folder. Deleting from search results may not work.

Go to File, Account Settings, double click on the gmail account, click More Settings, then look at the Deleted items tab. What are your settings? Does it work better if you change them?

My settings are that the bottom 2 boxes are checked. But the emails in my Outlook Inbox no longer exist on the Gmail server. It's as if I have shadow emails on my computer, and can't seem to get rid of them. Another factor may be that I keep getting the Microsoft error message: Failed to update headers. I don't know what this means, but suspect it is related.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide!:confused:

I'm sure that error is related. Close Outlook and run scan pst on the data file or delete the imap data file and let Outlook rebuild it.

I'm sure that error is related. Close Outlook and run scan pst on the data file or delete the imap data file and let Outlook rebuild it.

Scanpst did NO good (already ran it--twice!). Do you mean for me to delete the entire Gmail account and start again from scratch?

Thank you so much!

either delete the account and recreate it in Outlook or delete the data file the account uses and let outlook download everything again.

Do you get that error all the time or just some of the time? It may be a transient error with gmail.

either delete the account and recreate it in Outlook or delete the data file the account uses and let outlook download everything again.

Do you get that error all the time or just some of the time? It may be a transient error with gmail.

This error has been ongoing for over a week. I think I'll try deleting the gmail account and recreating it. Am I correct that my other folders, contacts, etc., in Outlook will remain unchanged?

Many thanks!

Yes, only the account will be deleted. The calendar and contacts are in a local pst when you use imap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
E Outlook 2016 Inbox search bug Using Outlook 1
M VBA macro for Inbox's attachments search Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S VBA Code to move mail items from search folder to inbox subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M Is there any easy way to quickly search for the name of a folder in Outlook's inbox folder structure Exchange Server Administration 1
R Inbox search, current folder, it's in there-but not found. Using Outlook 2
J Search shows an email is in my Inbox but I can't see it there. Using Outlook 0
J How to write a macro to search inbox for certain numbers Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
F Outlook 365 Group INBOX by date but not by date and time Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 2010 Sub accounts not showing new emails in Inbox Using Outlook 4
F Color code certain INBOX emails Using Outlook 2
K vba code to auto download email into a specific folder in local hard disk as and when any new email arrives in Inbox/subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Outlook 365 Forward Email Subject to my inbox when new email arrive in shared inbox Using Outlook 0
P "Item could not be moved" message occurs frequently for IMAP inbox, Office 365 Using Outlook 0
D Gmail mail is being delivered to a different email inbox in Outlook App 2021 Using Outlook 2
S Format Inbox Using Outlook 0
J How to create a drop down user defined field that will appear on an inbox view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
P Emails assigned with a certain category (within a shared inbox) to be copied to a specific folder. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
O Moving "tasks" to inbox in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
A Imap account not auto syncing inbox at startup Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2016 dont delete inbox item Using Outlook 0
F Jump to Inbox folder when click on Favorite Using Outlook 8
R Moved 6 months worth (approx 1500 emails) lost from moving from TPG inbox to Icloud inbox (folders) Using Outlook 3
S Problem Checking the available stores in my Inbox (Outlook VBA) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook VBA How to adapt this code for using in a different Mail Inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Inbox didn't got read Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Unflag Inbox and Flag Inbox with Orange Category After Item is send Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
glnz O365 - How to combine the Inboxes for four email accounts into a single Inbox Using Outlook 7
S Macro to move “Re:” & “FWD:” email recieved the shared inbox to a subfolder in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to send auto acknowledge mail only to new mails received to a specific shared inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
G Inbox shows old email Using Outlook 3
C Configuring Inbox columns Using Outlook 2
D Inbox column color coding Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 2010 How do you export 2 email Accounts' 2010 Inbox Files to new computer (2019)? Using Outlook 0
J Collaborative Inbox Using Outlook 1
M Missing emails in Inbox, but are present in webmail Using Outlook 0
R List folders in a combo box + select folder + move emails from inbox to that folder + reply to that email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
H Upon opening Outlook, make my popmail inbox open instead of outlook.com inbox Using Outlook 1
P Outlook Mobile App Doesn't Refresh Inbox Using Outlook 0
H In outlook 365 POP mail Inbox, email takes a long time or never arrives. Using Outlook 1
K No emails in inbox Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
D Unopened message in inbox deleted and not in deleted items Using Outlook 3
R Exporting recovered Deleted Items outside the Inbox Using Outlook 1
N Focussed Inbox Rules Failing Using Outlook 5
M Inbox not showing to deliver new email to this account Using Outlook 3
mctabish Setting "Reply To" based on inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
T Inbox Sub-Folder - Web Using Outlook 1
P Two main Outlook gripes: Voting buttons not working externally nor Focused Inbox Using Outlook 1
P when i move inbox mails to another folder in outlook the mail disappears Using Outlook 1
B VBA Macro for assigning multiple Categories to an email in my Inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Syncing my inbox not working for certain types of mail Using Outlook 9