Inconsistent order of names displayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolphinbluff

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Just started using new Office on my new computer and have become frustrated. In Outlook, when I select PEOPLE, I see a list od the contacts I imported. Most display as First Name then Last name, but some display Last Name and then First Name. I have edited each of them and the data is entered properly for each. First names in first name field and last name in last name field. Why are some displaying one way and others displaying another way?

Bob Chambers

Open the contacts that are filed "wrong" - what is in the Full name field? Select one of the contacts in the People view, the click the View source link in the reading pane to open the contact to check.

Already did that before, thought I said so in my question. Full name field is correct for all contacts, when I view outlook source, all names are displayed correctly and first is in first field, last is in last field. It is just that n the people view, some are listed first last an some are listed last first.

Merry Christmas,

Bob Camber

Open the contacts that are filed "wrong" - what is in the Full name field? Select one of the contacts in the People view, the click the View source link in the reading pane to open the contact to check.

The people view displays names in the Full name field format and sorts them using the file as format (so John Doe could be before John Cotton if they use different file as formats). If the full name uses first last, then John Doe's contact should display as John Doe. If the full name entry is Doe, John, then it will display as Doe, John.

Sort order is controlled by the file as field (but can be changed in View tab, View Settings).

people-huib.png

Do the ones that aren't displaying with the correct format have multiple sources listed under View Source (in the preview pane)?

Diane, thanks for the quick reply.

Guess I was misleading in the thread title, the order is not in question and is in 'file as' order as it should be. The problem is the display of the name in the people view. Some display as "first last" and others display as "last first". When I examine them using the source, all names look correct with the first name in first name field and last name in last name field. I believe they have only one source but will have to check that when I return home on Friday.

I am an IBM retiree, spent 30 years as systems engineer. Not trying to brag, just wanted you to know the knowledge level of whom you are working with. I will be the first to say that I too can certainly make mistakes, but this seems pretty simple to me, yet frustrating!

Do hope you have a Merry Christmas, will check back Friday.

The names in this list are from the Full Name field:

people-hub2.png

The two entries for Fred are entered into the full name field as Fred Smith and Smith, Fred.

Do you have all Office updates installed? Current version is at least 15.0.4551.

Office set for auto update and is current at 15.0.4551

In the Full Name Dialog Box for each of the two entries I am looking at, the correct first name is in the first name field and the correct last name is in the last name field. One "Gerry Abbott" and the other is " Ann Byrd". On the people pane, the first one displays as 'Abbott Gerry' and the other displays as 'Ann Byrd'. There are other names that also display differently, not just these two but I am trying to diagnose the problem with these two. There is only one source listed for each. Tried to print the screens to send, but was not successful.

OK, have narrowed it down a bit.

When I click on the source for people who display incorrectly, then click on full name, even if the first and last names are in the correct fields, when I click OK (instead of CANCEL) it then changes the FULL NAME display to correctly display Last Name First Name which is display option I have chosen. I need to do this for each name that does not display correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.