Odd data file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I'm reinstalling Windows 7 for a friend, so I've been looking through her Outlook 2010 to see what she has there before I reinstall.

On the data files tab, the default data file is only 4 KB in size, and is located in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent folder. It appears in the folder list in Outlook, but only has some Sent Items in it.

The other data file shown is in Docs, and it is 11 GB. This what I am used to seeing, has her Inbox, etc.

It seems odd that the 4 KB file is the default data file. What is the default data file generally used for? At only 4 KB this file can't have much data. Isn't the default file the one that generally holds the Contacts? She has lots of Contacts and Suggested Contacts, hard to believe they are in here.

Also on the Data Files tab I see a file called Internet Calendar Subscriptions. It is located in AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook and is 513 KB. I thought this is only for web based calenders, but I do not see any shown in the Navigation Pane in the Calendar, even though the file has today's date on it, so it must be at least trying to update, but I cannot see what it would need to update. And am I correct in assuming that her personal calendar is not included in this?

Thanks

Also, in general, should I try to either re-use or import data from these Internet Calendar files when moving Outlook to a new computer? Thanks

4KB? The minimum size is 256KB, 513KB depending on the file type. (They are a bit larger in Outlook 2013). I'm not sure what it is, but its not a valid pst file. Are you showing the file extension?

internet Calendar is for web based calendars - and that file is likely empty. It's read only and if you delete it, outlook will recreate it, if the subscription still exists in Outlook.

The personal calendar *should* be in the 11 GB file in docs.

What type of email account does she have? If POP3, everything should be in the pst in docs. Even so, with IMAP or Outlook.com, outlook will create a new data file if necessary.

OK thanks for the info. Yes it has a .pst extension, and it is only 4 KB. I am hesitant to even open it in the newly installed Outlook. And they are POP3 accounts. Thanks.

Opening it shouldn't be a problem, it will either open or not. Use File > Open > Outlook Data File and see what happens.

You were right, those files would not open.Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
David McKay VBA to manually forward using odd options Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
PetraTech Odd Folder View Problem Using Outlook 3
V Calendar event acting odd Using Outlook 7
C Odd error message not found in Google search Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2013 - Odd Sync behaviour Using Outlook 1
D This is odd Using Outlook 2
O How do I get rid of odd formatting of new e-mails? Using Outlook 3
U Odd behaviour for auto-receive Using Outlook 2
C Open message is stuck minimized -Odd behavior when replying to a message(2010) Using Outlook 1
H Odd symbol when stripping characters using vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
C Advanced search terms for "Outlook Data File" Using Outlook 1
C Populate form data into message body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
CWM550 Saving Data: Don't check certain folders Using Outlook 2
CWM550 Importing " Old Skool" Data Using Outlook 0
W Create a Quick Step or VBA to SAVE AS PDF in G:|Data|Client File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Wotme create email only data file Using Outlook 1
V Backup Calendar, Contacts, Tasks in an POP3 data file Using Outlook 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Changing where data .pst is saved to Using Outlook 3
J Deliver new messages to New or Existing Data File? Using Outlook 2
G Outlook 2016: Want IMAP Data Files on My D: Drive and Not C: Drive Using Outlook 1
T vba extract data from msg file as attachment file of mail message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Outlook 2016 Unable to load Outlook data pst file Using Outlook 5
V Form data not sending for some users Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Outlook VBA error extracting property data from GetRules collection Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
J Outlook 2013 Change color of text in data fields of contacts in Outlook 2013? Using Outlook 10
T How can Exchange be configured to sync/push one-way so that the server data can't be affected Exchange Server Administration 0
T Extract Data From Outlook Tasks Using Outlook 0
F outlook.com Exchane Server corrupts data Since September 2019 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
T Extract Data From Outlook Tasks Using Outlook 0
E To convert imported data to custom fields in Task list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R "Can't store Outlook data files under the AppData folder. Please choose another folder." Using Outlook 6
C How to export Outlook data to csv? Using Outlook 0
RBLampert Assigning a newly (re)created e-mail account to a specific .pst data file Using Outlook 2
S newly added shared mailboxes downloading 500GB data a day Exchange Server Administration 1
M Using field names to capture a data element Using Outlook 0
S Custom Form, copy user field data to message body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
M Outlook 2016 Requesting data from server Using Outlook 0
G Entered data in custom field goes in card and does not stay in list view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Copying data from e-mail attachement to EXCEL file via macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 38
Sofia Manni Some of my favorite data in outlook. Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 2016 Will Not Show Any Data In the People Pane Using Outlook 17
A Script to fetch data from mails in restricted collection and sending them to excel Using Outlook 1
Commodore Search cannot complete the indexing of your Outlook data Using Outlook 6
P Microsoft Outlook is requesting data from the server Using Outlook 2
S BCM Auto Backup Data and Customizations BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
K How to access emails found to be located in "Top of Outlook data file"? Using Outlook 3
M adding corresponding contact form data on a mass scale Using Outlook 5
J Calendar data can be viewed on Outlook.com, but no longer syncs to Outlook 2013 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
M Retrieve data from GAL and put it in Clipboard Using Outlook 1
G How to Copy Multi Select Listbox Data to Appointment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3