Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hi guys. I am using Office 365 with Outlook 2016 on Win10/64
I have two POP3 accounts and use a desktop. One is a personal, standard account and the other a business account hosted by a web carrier.
I have just completed a rebuild in Outlook and now find my sent emails are not showing in my Sent folder.
I have read much of the help on this such as ticking the Sent box etc but I have had no luck. I am reasonably proficient with Outlook so know my way around it. As I rely on the Sent folder I would dearly like to fix this if possible. It was working previous to the rebuild. There is obviously a box somewhere that I have missed.
Sending from both accounts has the same problem. The messages do not show in my Sent folder. The sent folder for both accounts has multiple sent messages starting from about a month ago and going back to earlier dates so it was working perfectly up until a few weeks ago.
I just noticed that when I tried to save this for reference in Outlook as an email it does not show up in my Drafts folder yet that folder also has numerous emails stored in it
I am receiving and sending emails OK
I would be grateful for your advice as I have run out of options

Do you have more than one Sent folder in your profile? (and drafts) When you did the rebuild, were the accounts added back as POP? (Outlook will default to IMAP. )

You could try restarting Outlook using the resetfolders switch and see if that makes a difference.

Close Outlook. Right-click on the Start button and choose Run or press Windows key + R to open the Run command. Type or paste the following into the Open field and press Enter or click OK to restart Outlook. (There is a space before /.)

outlook.exe /resetfolders

This will reset the folder assignments to the default folders for the account and recreate any missing folders.

I did reply yesterday Diane but cannot see it listed here. Must have forgotten to Post
You were right. My personal POP account defaulted to an IMAP. I rebuilt it but I could not manually point to the existing file when building it because the file type it wanted was pst. I had to use an older, (4 weeks) saved pst file.
The problem I have now is the gap in emails. Can I export from the ost file to my pst file to fix this and is there any specifics to watch out for?
Also my Saved folder has may files missing so I need to export that as well.
Is there any way I can export or import say, my Inbox and Saved folders without having to export the lot? I am worried about it upsetting the configuration again.
The pst file I used is on a usb drive and Outlook is still pointing to it. Can you send me your latest link on how to copy a pst file from a usb to a C drive please. If I do not do it correctly I will lose my contacts. Or is it best with Outlook 2016 to move that file to my C drive to ensure I have my custom views?
Finally, I still have the IMAP account. Is it best to delete that from my profile or from Mail in the control panel?
For your reference: I am using Office 365 with Outlook 2016 on Windows 10/64
I have two POP3 accounts and use a desktop. One is a personal, standard account and the other a business account hosted by a web carrier.
Thank you Diane
Malcolm

The problem I have now is the gap in emails. Can I export from the ost file to my pst file to fix this and is there any specifics to watch out for?
Also my Saved folder has may files missing so I need to export that as well.

Yes, if the imap account is in your profile. if you removed the imap account from your profile, you won't have the file to export.
The pst file I used is on a usb drive and Outlook is still pointing to it.
Close outlook. Copy the pst file to the hard drive - default location is in documents\outlook files.
Remove the usb drive.
Restart outlook. When it complains, point to the copy.

Finally, I still have the IMAP account. Is it best to delete that from my profile or from Mail in the control panel?

Yes, you can remove it. It will be fine to remove it from File, Account Settings. If there is anything in the 'this computer only' files,besure to copy them before removing the account,.

Much appreciated thanks Diane. I have been going slowly a day at a time to make sure each stage works. When I once did a series of stages in one hit years ago I got in a huge mess!
My situation is I have now successfully created the two POP a/cs and they work fine. I have a personal and a business a/c and I have successfully got my business emails being delivered into my personal inbox. I have shifted both a/cs into the same Outlook folder.
I still have a personal IMAP a/c. It got created by default and will be deleted when I get the next step done.
Next I need to get the rest of my inbox messages and my saved messages from the from my personal ost a/c (I can see them there) and put them into my personal pst a/c which has only a few saved and inbox emails showing. I will then delete that IMAP a/c.
I need advice on that please. When I try to import from my ost file, the file type outlook wants is pst and I therefore cannot see the file I want to select. I was reluctant to switch to All files in case it was trying to warn me. Can you advise the process to do this please.
One thing that concerns me is how does outlook know what a/c it is going to put the import into as I have the two pop a/cs?
Thanks again for your advice. I certainly could not have got this far without it.
Regards
Malcolm

need advice on that please. When I try to import from my ost file, the file type outlook wants is pst and I therefore cannot see the file I want to select. I was reluctant to switch to All files in case it was trying to warn me. Can you advise the process to do this please.
Correct, you can't import from an imap data file - you need to export to a pst then import from it... but if the imap account was added as a pop account, everything in the inbox still sync down. You can move (or copy) mail that is in other folders, in to a pst folder if there isn't a lot of mail or folders to move.

I got the export and import done correctly Diane but although I can see all my files in the inbox of the imap a/c they did not export from the backup pst file.
I had previously copied my saved messages (perhaps 40) from my imap to my pop a/c and it worked successfully except for a synchronization problem which I assume will be fixed when I delete the imap a/c.
It is a bit confusing in that my imap and my pop both use the same name so it is difficult to differentiate between them on the screen when doing the import. Is there any way I can rename one to say Name IMAP? I tried doing it through account settings but it did not work. In any case to remove any error I did the import to one and then repeated it to the other. It did not pick up the missing emails that I can see in the imap.
Would you recommend I copy the missing emails (say 50) from my imap to my pop and then immediately delete the imap before I get severe synchronization problems or is there another way?
At the moment I have 3 addresses. Personal pop, personal imap (has the same name) and personal business pop. I can see the folders in each. I want to delete the imap as soon as I can.
Thank you

It is a bit confusing in that my imap and my pop both use the same name so it is difficult to differentiate between them on the screen when doing the import. Is there any way I can rename one to say Name IMAP? I
Not easily. You can rename the pop data file - right click on the root (the name you want to change) and choose properties the Advanced. type a new name there.

Actually, if you have 2010, you can may be able to rename the imap folder too - same method
It did not pick up the missing emails that I can see in the imap.
So there are messages in imap you don't see in pop? What view is set on the folder you exported the imap too? IMAP can mess up the views, although I would expect all messages to be 'missing'.

Yes, you can move mail from the imap folders to the pop folders manually.

All done now thanks Diane. I had it all working properly and deleted the IMAP duplicate and you can imagine where my heart went when Outlook went blank! Despite numerous checks where I was sure my pop was the active a/c, apparently it was the IMAP. both had the same names. Anyway I rebuilt the pop a/c and had it working in a few minutes with the advice you gave me. As I had moved my Saved messages from the IMAP to the pop I had to import them from an earlier pst. (I back the pst files regularly).
In hindsight I guess I should have deleted and rebuilt the a/c in the first place.
Once again thanks and this thread can be closed now. Phew!

Status
Not open for further replies.