Outlook 2016 Move Outlook to new computer?

Post number 5 has been selected as the best answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregS

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I own Office 365 Home and have 4 "shares" left. I have a new computer and want to download Outlook 365 (and the rest of Office 365) to my new system. Problem: I want to download to my new system using my "old" address. The Office 365 refuses to "share", claiming that I need to de-register my existing version first. I don't want to lose my old data. Anyone know a tactic?

Outlook on the old PC can help. In Outlook 2010, click the File tab, then Info in the left pane. Select Account Settings and then Account Settings again. In Outlook 2007 and older versions, select Tools > Options.
Once there, click the Data Files button. You’ll find the information you need in the resulting dialog box. Or you could click Open File Location to go right to the folder.

Once you’ve installed Outlook onto the new PC, you’ll have a fresh, clean, and empty .pst file. You’ll have to import data from the old file to the new one.
Once Outlook is up and running, click the File tab and select Open & Export > Import/Export. In the resulting Import and Export wizard, select Import from another program or file, then Outlook Data File (.pst).
On the wizard’s next page, for the “File to import’ option, click the Browse button and select the old .pst file. Don’t worry about the other options.
The next page will ask you what to import. If you want to import everything, and I assume you do, just stick with the default.
When you click Finish, the wizard will go away, and the import will start. If you see no visible sign of importing, wait a few seconds; it will start soon enough.
Hope this helps you.

The Office 365 refuses to "share", claiming that I need to de-register my existing version first. I don't want to lose my old data. Anyone know a tactic?
So you have 2 addresses and both have a subscription? You can't share with accounts if they have a subscription already.

That would be the only reason you can't share a subscription.

As for losing data, you won't lose it. It's just a licensing change.

If you are over the free limits in outlook or OneDrive, you won't be able to add files or receive mail, but they won't delete content immediately - not sure how long you have to drop below the limits, but its at least a week.

I downloaded Office 365. When it self-installed its apps, the Mail app installed Outlook.COM. My primary email is Outlook 365 using “mail.twc.com” (a Spectrum company) as the server. It is a POP3 account.

I use the same username (gschultz@xxxxxxx.ccc) for both Outlook.COM and Outlook365. When I try to add a new account for the Spectrum email to the new instance of Outlook, a dialog pops up saying “You have already installed this account.” How can I detach Outlook.COM and install my main POP3 mail account?

The email-accounts you have setup in Outlook have nothing to do with whatever Microsoft Account is linked to your Office-365 subscription.

You can name the Accounts whatever you want. I find it helpful to make the name match the email address it accesses.

In Office 2016 - To get the full options for email accounts (for easy editing)
File / Account Settings / Manage Profiles / Email Accounts / select one / Change

"Test Account Settings" should also work for each if configured properly.

It should be similar in Office-2019 (or whatever version Office-365 is giving-out to users these days).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Outlook 365 (OutLook For Mac)Move "On My Computer" Folder Items From Old To New Mac Computer Using Outlook 3
Z Outlook 2007 move folders from one computer to another Using Outlook 1
Z Move outlook 2010 profile from one computer to another Using Outlook 7
HarvMan Outlook 365 - Rule to Move an Incoming Message to Another Folder Using Outlook 4
F Excel VBA to move mails for outlook 365 on secondary mail account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Witzker Macro to move @domain.xx of a Spammail to Blacklist in Outlook 2019 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
S Macro to move “Re:” & “FWD:” email recieved the shared inbox to a subfolder in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to move reply mail based on the key word in the subjectline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
V Outlook 2016 will not move emails in search results Using Outlook 4
M move to iCloud not working in outlook calendar Using Outlook 12
C Move Outlook 2007 to new PC with Outlook 365 Using Outlook 3
K Outlook Rules: Move a Copy Using Outlook 4
P when i move inbox mails to another folder in outlook the mail disappears Using Outlook 1
F "Move to" O365 feature to Outlook client via VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C Move from Outlook 2007 Enterprise (MOE) to Outlook Pro plus 2007 Using Outlook 1
Cdub27 Move Outlook 2016 Contacts to Other Folders - Extremely Slow !! Using Outlook 6
M code to move selected Outlook contacts to another folder Using Outlook 3
G Favorites panel entries move around after restarting Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
acpete48317 Categorize and move Outlook Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
L pin to Outlook move mail Using Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky Can't import CSV or move Outlook items into EAS Accounts Using Outlook 0
O Missing guide "Move an Outlook Personal Folders .pst File" Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Move Messages from File System into Outlook Folders Using Outlook 0
F Move from POP3 to IMAP Outlook 2007 (Comcast) Using Outlook 7
D Looking to move away from exchange to outlook.com Using Outlook 4
E Outlook 2007: Problem with "Move to Folder >" button on toolbar Using Outlook 6
M Automatically move Outlook message to the specific folder when click on reply to all Using Outlook 4
H Move outlook emails >90 days to shared drive (Desktop) Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
B Outlook 2000 Rule to Move txt msg Not Working if size >24KB Using Outlook 3
C Outlook 2013 - Email Gets Sent - But Does Not Move From Outbox to Sent Box Using Outlook 4
N Outlook 2010 exchange - auto-move emails from @domain Exchange Server Administration 1
N rule to move sent mail to the deleted folder in outlook Using Outlook 4
J Outlook Cannot Move Msgs to Folders (GMAIL IMAP) Using Outlook 1
B OUTLOOK 2013: How Do I Move Emails to Folders stored on my Hard Drive? Using Outlook 3
G Outlook 2003 I need to move email to folder based on subject, using wild card Using Outlook 0
M VBA code needed to move from Outlook 2010 subfolder to Symantec Vault subfolde Using Outlook 0
S Outlook macro to move replied / forwarded emails to a seperate folder Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2010 IMAP account message move behavior Using Outlook 15
A How to move responded emaisl automatically to sub folders in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 0
mikolajek Outlook 2013 IMAP actions (message move / delete etc.) significantly delayed Using Outlook 0
E Automatically move to other Folder from Inbox when mail comes - MS Outlook Using Outlook 1
D Unable to move the tasks pane in the To-do bar in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
K Outlook Cached Mode - can't create rules to move email to another mailbox Using Outlook 2
Rupert Dragwater Is there a genuine simple way to move Eudora address to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
J Move PST /changing default location in Outlook 2007 or 2010 64b on W7 64bit Using Outlook 2
M Best way to move outlook? Using Outlook 1
M Move 'Reply All' on Ribbon in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
T More than one outlook account to setup & move Using Outlook 1
D User cannot move email messages within Outlook Inbox folder and sub-folders. Using Outlook 0
P move folders in outlook using vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1