Not open for further replies.

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Since settings up Gmail in Outlook 2010 I've had a few issues,
1. takes a long time to send/receive mail
2. my new mail notifications stop working so I'm not getting any notification when I get new mail.

Since I only use my email on my desktop computer and not on my other devices I am thinking about changing from imap to Pop. I'm hoping this might change the issues I am having and pop is a simpler protocol than imap, since I don't need to access my email from several devices pop might be the best for me.

Would it be easier to change the imap to pop or setup a completely new account for Pop then once all folders are copied to Pop I can delete the imap data file ?

when setting up Gmail I had to do it a few times, 5 to be exact and I just noticed that there are several .pst files for my Gmail account in the default location for .pst's. The one I am using is the one that has (5) at the end of the .pst file name.

To show you the mess I have I will give you screen shots, I'd like to switch from imap to Pop without making more of a mess. any suggestions on the best way to do it, feel free to reply.

Thanks
Ron

data file.jpg

file explorer.jpg

You have 2010 so you can add the account as pop. Pop needs to be turned on it Gmail settings - and if you have mail in other folders you'll need to move them to the pop pst but if you only use the inbox, everything will download based on your gmail settings in gmail.com.

It doesn't matter which way you do it, but unless the two accounts confuse you, I'd just add it to outlook as pop then remove the IMAP when you move the mail over you need to keep local. The mail will still be in gmail.com - so you don't need to keep a lot of old mail in outlook.

Thanks for your reply,
Just to clarify, are you saying it might be easier to create a new account, set it up as pop. Then once set up Outlook 2010 should download all my folders from my Gmail account?

Once Pop is set up I can delete the imap account in Outlook and also in the default windows folder where the mess it?

Diane,
I sent you a direct message about deleting a old account for this forum, did you happen to see it?
Thanks
Ron

Yes on the steps. But >> Then once set up Outlook 2010 should download all my folders from my Gmail account? << POP is inbox only - you'll ned to copy or create folders in the pop pst if you file mail.

No on the DM. Did you post it in the forum or email me?

Yes on the steps. But >> Then once set up Outlook 2010 should download all my folders from my Gmail account? << POP is inbox only - you'll ned to copy or create folders in the pop pst if you file mail.

I started a conversation from your profile

Diane,
Do you have a public email, if so I will gladly send you the issue I am having with my email address. It's a bit confusing but I'm sure if you and i can communicate it should be taken cared of.

Ron

You have 2010 so you can add the account as pop. Pop needs to be turned on it Gmail settings - and if you have mail in other folders you'll need to move them to the pop pst but if you only use the inbox, everything will download based on your gmail settings in gmail.com.

It doesn't matter which way you do it, but unless the two accounts confuse you, I'd just add it to outlook as pop then remove the IMAP when you move the mail over you need to keep local. The mail will still be in gmail.com - so you don't need to keep a lot of old mail in outlook.
I set up Gmail as Pop and it runs so much faster and smoother. For me who only uses my desktop to use email that works perfect. For anyone that wants to access their Gmail on other devices might want to stick with imap.

I set up Gmail as Pop and it runs so much faster and smoother. For me who only uses my desktop to use email that works perfect. For anyone that wants to access their Gmail on other devices might want to stick with imap.
Yeah, it is somewhat faster - with google and multiple devices, you would only lose the sent items sent from other computers - but they will all be in gmail.com if you need them. If you file mail in folders, they won't be files in gmail.com- but google has a good search...

Status
Not open for further replies.