Outlook app 2021 & iCloud PST issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDNorCal

Outlook version
Outlook 2021 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Diane, can you please help me with these issues? I have attached a pic of the Outlook 2021 app structure.

As I mentioned in another post. After the issue with OL.com no longer allowing syncing to iCloud, the MS LV2 tech basically rebuilt a new PST which was no longer connected with OL.com, which would operate in my OL app and sync with iCloud, directly.

This was done with a lot of piecemeal work. Basically, imported Cal from OL.com but re-used the contacts which were in iCloud and brought them into a new PST. It was not that simply, it needed a lot of trial-and-error and took about 3 hours.

I still have some odd situations in the OL app, I’d like to clear up. It is basically working and syncing to iCloud and coming to the two iOS devices.

The problem is there are too many calendars and contacts. Sometimes, a calendar event which I have input manually, somehow lands on the wrong calendar and not the main calendar and does not sync to the iOS devices. Also, I accepted a calendar event sent to me and it landed on a different calendar and not synced to iOS. And not the same calendar as the calendar referenced above.

I cannot remember what the ideal structure looked like before going to Exchange, what data should be in folders and which folders and located where?

I’m missing some general understanding such that I can identify which-Cal-is-which and where should the data reside? Should the Cal be in the main email? Should it be in iCloud? Or should it be in both?

And the same with Contacts? Should they be in both?

I am fearful of deleting anything as I saw previously that while you see something in one place, sometimes it is connected (or is?) the other item, in a different place.

In looking at my wife’s Windows 10 with Office Pro Plus 2016 , she also has iCloud and her structure indicates:
  • There are contacts and calendar within her email account, but they are completely empty.
  • Contacts and Calendar are in iCloud and are the only copies of complete contacts and Calendars.
  • I have a feeling, once iCloud is added to a complete PST, the 1st time, the contacts and calendars are moved to iCloud and then served from the cloud. what you see are not static calendars or local contacts, they are served from iCloud.
Greatly appreciate any assistance you can offer.
Thx Dave

dd pic for attaching to Outlook forum post 10-13-22.jpg

What is OL dot com ?

This is how I config and run Microsoft Office Pro 2021 and Outlook-2021 (64-bit) with iCloud for Windows v13.x . I have it running on two different Windows-11 machines (two different users, Apple-Accounts, iCloud-Accounts, iPhones, etc.) Two different everythings and it works and Syncs fine for both of us ... including iCloud Photo Library and the other stuff provided with iCloud for Windows.

Not sure about Calendars, but I know this about Contacts:

Remember, I only have one local Contact setup in Outlook. Its name is “Contacts are in iCloud”. All my other 350 Contacts are in the iCloud. That way, all my Contacts are in my iPhone and everywhere else.

I don't really use Calendars (I just use Reminders in iOS), but they do seem to be working. I expect they work similar to my Contacts.

What is OL dot com ?

This is how I config and run Microsoft Office Pro 2021 and Outlook-2021 (64-bit) with iCloud for Windows v13.x . I have it running on two different Windows-11 machines (two different users, Apple-Accounts, iCloud-Accounts, iPhones, etc.) Two different everythings and it works and Syncs fine for both of us ... including iCloud Photo Library and the other stuff provided with iCloud for Windows.

Not sure about Calendars, but I know this about Contacts:

Remember, I only have one local Contact setup in Outlook. Its name is “Contacts are in iCloud”. All my other 350 Contacts are in the iCloud. That way, all my Contacts are in my iPhone and everywhere else.

I don't really use Calendars (I just use Reminders in iOS), but they do seem to be working. I expect they work similar to my Contacts.
Thanks for the reply, Vince.
OL.com is Outlook.com I was using my local Outlook 2016 app to send contacts and calendars to their Exchange server for a few years to sync to iCloud, until they abruptly changed some policies and I could no longer sync to iCloud. That is when I went back to syncing direct to iCloud. But all of my data was stuck in their Exchange server and had to go through a very laborious process to get back to "local" syncing to iCloud. However, I still have some duplicate Contacts and Calendar folders which are empty. Contacts seem to be working ok. The "extra" calendars seem to be linked to something, as I get the odd calendar item which lands only in the wrong calendar folder.

Yes, your latest setup OL app 2021 is very similar to mine.

You did confirm there are no contacts in your email contacts folder. I assume the folder is still there, just empty? Could you confirm if the same applies with your Calendar folder? It is in your email data file? Is it also empty?
Thx Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.