Outlook 2010 lost all eMail addresses from contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ToddAndMargo

Hi All,

Outlook 2010 14.0.4536.1000 and SBS 2003 Exchange Server.

I had a customer call me with a strange question yesterday.

Seems everything in his contacts is there -- names, addresses,

phone numbers, etc. -- except their eMail addresses. I had him

turn all the column on for eMail and still nothing but empty

columns.

My customer thinks this is an Exchange problem. The problem

migrated to his laptop as well (Outlook Anywhere).

I took two screen shots of what my customer is seeing.

1) The title is "short_name - Mailbox - Long_name - Microsoft Outlook".

There are a number of tabs. The active one is called "Home"

There are a number of icons. The active one is "By Category"

The left column says "My Contacts", "Long_User_Name"

The right column is a spreadsheet with Full Name, Company,

File As, Business Phone, etc. They are all populated except the

one called "E-mail"

2) The second screen shot is my entry (form) in his address book.

He got there by clicking on my name in the spreadsheet. The

window is titled "MY_Name - Contact". The icon that is lit is

called "General". The form is totally populated, except on the

left column under "Internet", "E-mail" (the one with the drop

down arrow.)

Any ideas? I do have a full backup of exchange.

Many thanks,

-T
 
J

John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]

Since Outlook 2010 is still not RTM'd yet its hard to say its not a bug. I

would verify the Contact email addresses are not affected by accessing the

mailbox from OWA. If not, then its not an Exchange issue.

John Oliver, Jr

MCSE, MCT, CCNA

Exchange MVP 2009

Microsoft Certified Partner

"ToddAndMargo" <ToddAndMargo@invalid.com> wrote in message

news:e#soU4q0KHA.840@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi All,

> Outlook 2010 14.0.4536.1000 and SBS 2003 Exchange Server.

> I had a customer call me with a strange question yesterday.
> Seems everything in his contacts is there -- names, addresses,
> phone numbers, etc. -- except their eMail addresses. I had him
> turn all the column on for eMail and still nothing but empty
> columns.

> My customer thinks this is an Exchange problem. The problem
> migrated to his laptop as well (Outlook Anywhere).

> I took two screen shots of what my customer is seeing.

> 1) The title is "short_name - Mailbox - Long_name - Microsoft Outlook".
> There are a number of tabs. The active one is called "Home"
> There are a number of icons. The active one is "By Category"
> The left column says "My Contacts", "Long_User_Name"
> The right column is a spreadsheet with Full Name, Company,
> File As, Business Phone, etc. They are all populated except the
> one called "E-mail"

> 2) The second screen shot is my entry (form) in his address book.
> He got there by clicking on my name in the spreadsheet. The
> window is titled "MY_Name - Contact". The icon that is lit is
> called "General". The form is totally populated, except on the
> left column under "Internet", "E-mail" (the one with the drop
> down arrow.)

> Any ideas? I do have a full backup of exchange.

> Many thanks,
> -T
 
T

ToddAndMargo

> "ToddAndMargo" <ToddAndMargo@invalid.com> wrote in message
> news:e#soU4q0KHA.840@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> > Hi All,
>

>> Outlook 2010 14.0.4536.1000 and SBS 2003 Exchange Server.
>

>> I had a customer call me with a strange question yesterday.
> > Seems everything in his contacts is there -- names, addresses,
> > phone numbers, etc. -- except their eMail addresses. I had him
> > turn all the column on for eMail and still nothing but empty
> > columns.
>

>> My customer thinks this is an Exchange problem. The problem
> > migrated to his laptop as well (Outlook Anywhere).
>

>> I took two screen shots of what my customer is seeing.
>

>> 1) The title is "short_name - Mailbox - Long_name - Microsoft Outlook".
> > There are a number of tabs. The active one is called "Home"
> > There are a number of icons. The active one is "By Category"
> > The left column says "My Contacts", "Long_User_Name"
> > The right column is a spreadsheet with Full Name, Company,
> > File As, Business Phone, etc. They are all populated except the
> > one called "E-mail"
>

>> 2) The second screen shot is my entry (form) in his address book.
> > He got there by clicking on my name in the spreadsheet. The
> > window is titled "MY_Name - Contact". The icon that is lit is
> > called "General". The form is totally populated, except on the
> > left column under "Internet", "E-mail" (the one with the drop
> > down arrow.)
>

>
>> Any ideas? I do have a full backup of exchange.
>

>> Many thanks,
> > -T


On 04/04/2010 06:19 PM, John Oliver, Jr. [MVP] wrote:
> Since Outlook 2010 is still not RTM'd yet its hard to say its not a
> bug. I would verify the Contact email addresses are not affected by
> accessing the mailbox from OWA. If not, then its not an Exchange issue.

> > John Oliver, Jr


Hi John,

Now that I finally have OWA figured out, I logged into

the users account. He has a "Contacts1" button on the

left column. And, he has only one contact in it.

When I looked at his contacts on his workstation's

contacts, he has hundreds.

Is there a way to restore his contacts to Exchange

from an NT Backup?

What is going on?

Many thanks,

-T
 
T

ToddAndMargo

On 04/06/2010 10:27 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> > "ToddAndMargo" <ToddAndMargo@invalid.com> wrote in message
> > news:e#soU4q0KHA.840@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> >> Hi All,
> >
>>> Outlook 2010 14.0.4536.1000 and SBS 2003 Exchange Server.
> >
>>> I had a customer call me with a strange question yesterday.
> >> Seems everything in his contacts is there -- names, addresses,
> >> phone numbers, etc. -- except their eMail addresses. I had him
> >> turn all the column on for eMail and still nothing but empty
> >> columns.
> >
>>> My customer thinks this is an Exchange problem. The problem
> >> migrated to his laptop as well (Outlook Anywhere).
> >
>>> I took two screen shots of what my customer is seeing.
> >
>>> 1) The title is "short_name - Mailbox - Long_name - Microsoft Outlook".
> >> There are a number of tabs. The active one is called "Home"
> >> There are a number of icons. The active one is "By Category"
> >> The left column says "My Contacts", "Long_User_Name"
> >> The right column is a spreadsheet with Full Name, Company,
> >> File As, Business Phone, etc. They are all populated except the
> >> one called "E-mail"
> >
>>> 2) The second screen shot is my entry (form) in his address book.
> >> He got there by clicking on my name in the spreadsheet. The
> >> window is titled "MY_Name - Contact". The icon that is lit is
> >> called "General". The form is totally populated, except on the
> >> left column under "Internet", "E-mail" (the one with the drop
> >> down arrow.)
> >
>>
>>> Any ideas? I do have a full backup of exchange.
> >
>>> Many thanks,
> >> -T


> On 04/04/2010 06:19 PM, John Oliver, Jr. [MVP] wrote:
> > Since Outlook 2010 is still not RTM'd yet its hard to say its not a
> > bug. I would verify the Contact email addresses are not affected by
> > accessing the mailbox from OWA. If not, then its not an Exchange issue.
>

> > > > John Oliver, Jr


> Hi John,

> Now that I finally have OWA figured out, I logged into
> the users account. He has a "Contacts1" button on the
> left column. And, he has only one contact in it.

> When I looked at his contacts on his workstation's
> contacts, he has hundreds.

> Is there a way to restore his contacts to Exchange
> from an NT Backup?

> What is going on?

> Many thanks,
> -T


Ah poo! Never mind. In his Outlook, he has three "Contacts"

folders. The one labeled "Contacts" is the exact same

"Contacts1" on OWA. He created a second and third contacts

locally on his Outlook. One of those is what he goofed up.

I never would have figured this out without you guys

help. Thank you!

-T
 

pctech33

Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
If Outlook 2010 does not automatically convert your Personal Address Book, you can import your Personal Address Book

to Outlook 2010. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Start Outlook 2010.
2. Click the File menu.
3. Click Open, and then click Import. The Import and Export Wizard opens.
4. Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
5. Click Personal Address Book, and then click Next.
6. Click Browse, locate the Personal Address Book that you want to import, and then click OK.
Note Earlier versions of Outlook assign a .pab file name extension to a Personal Address Book. By default,

Outlook stores the Personal Address Book in the following folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
7. Click Next.
8. Click Finish to import the Personal Address Book.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D outlook 2010 table format lost on send Using Outlook 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Can emails from Gmail be deleted when they are downloaded to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C What folders are needed when reinstalling Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Gmail in Outlook 2010 preview issue Using Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 Help setting up Gmail account in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2016 Unable to view images or logos on the outlook 2016 emails the same html code works well when i use outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
M Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 with O365 / Exchange Online Using Outlook 0
F Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 and GMail Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2007 vs. Outlook 2010 -- ToDo Bar Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i I think it may be time to upgrade from Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
T Why does outlook 2010 convert only some forum notifications to plain text? Using Outlook 0
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Outlook 2010 Problem with OutLook 2010 32 bit, after Windows Auto Update Using Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2010 account setup fails in particular domain Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010 is Auto Purging when not configured for that Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2010 Reading Pane Slows Startup Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
B Outlook 2010 Can not find a certain file in M/S Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 1
Mark Foley Cannot enable add-in in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
W Outlook 2010 some sent items marked unread now (was Ok before) Using Outlook 0
RBLampert Updating from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 365 Using Outlook 0
L What are the risks of opening an Outlook 2016 .pst file in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4
S Unable to remove rule outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
N Outlook 2010 Flag blocked for Safe Senders List???? Using Outlook 7
dweller Outlook 2010 Rule Ignores VBA Script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Mark Foley Unable to subscribe to published calendar in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
K Maximum Categorize Shortcuts In Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1
E Unable to open Outlook 2010 after adding new email account Using Outlook 4
RBLampert Outlook 2010 no longer (?) shrinks large images Using Outlook 4
N Outlook 2010 will not send nor receive Using Outlook 4
U Outlook 2010 'freezes' before moving emails Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2010 trusted emails going to spam folder Using Outlook 18
E Outlook 2010 Subject sort uses Thread-Topic for grouping Using Outlook 2
King Mustard Maximum Categorize shortcuts in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2010 keeps asking for username and password Using Outlook 1
M Duplicate Primary Mail Accounts outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
T Compacting Outlook 2010 OST results in old emails being re-sent Using Outlook 6
K Outlook 2010 duplicate download emails 1 inbox 1 PST no updates Using Outlook 3
D create an html table in outlook custom form 2010 using vba in MsAccess Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
Potty Ash MS Outlook 2010 custom form - validation or formula to request user to check a checkbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
RBLampert Outlook 2010 sends to/receives from some Gmail addresses but not others Using Outlook 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about address book in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 9
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is there a good third party SPAM filter that intergrates with Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Another reinstall of Outlook 2010 issue Using Outlook 10
S Outlook 2010 Cannot Open Attachments Using Outlook 14
Justo Horrillo Issue with rules in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
L Upgrade from Outlook 2010-any reason to? Using Outlook 1
C Attached Files outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1

Similar threads

Top