Outlook 2010: Cannot start!, please help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiencn

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm Hien from TECOTEC., JSC - Vietnam.

I have a problem with my Outlook, please help me!

When I try to open Microsoft Outlook, following error appear: "cannot start microsoft office outlook. cannot open the outlook window. the set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file...".

I have tried to run "SCANPST.EXE" to scan file "Outlook.pst" in my data folder (please see attached file "SCAN PST file.jpg").

After scanning, I tried to repair it, however is cannot be finished (please see attached file "error 2.jpg").

My data folder is about 4GB.

Can you consider and advise me how to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Hien

Attachments

• Scan PST file.jpg
    Scan PST file.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 327
  • Error_2.jpg
    Error_2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 309

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You need at least 2x as much free space on the hard drive compared to the data file size. If the data file is 4 GB, you need more than 8 GB free.

Empty the temp folder - type or paste %temp% in the address bar of windows explorer and press enter to open it. If you haven't emptied it yourself, that alone can free up a lot of space.

There is also a temp folder at C:\Windows\Temp - clean it out too.

In the same folder path as %temp% is one called CrashDumps - click on local in the Windows Explorer Address bar to see it - delete all the dumps. It probably won't free up a lot of space, but every little bit helps and you don't need those dumps.

If you still need a little space, log files under C:\Windows\Logs\ can be deleted. Depending on your setup, you may have a lot of files, or very few.

Are you using Windows 7/8/Vista? Type shell:cache in the address bar of windows explorer and press enter. Delete files in Content.Outlook... can delete all the folders if you want or go through and delete the contents. The apps that created them will recreate.

I use Shift+Delete when I'm cleaning these folders up - skip any file/folder that windows won't delete. And don't forget to empty the Recycle bin too.

If you are still short of space, turning off system restore can free up some space - remember to turn it back on. Just turning it off (to clear old restore points) then back on might free up enough space.

hiencn

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
You need at least 2x as much free space on the hard drive compared to the data file size. If the data file is 4 GB, you need more than 8 GB free.

Empty the temp folder - type or paste %temp% in the address bar of windows explorer and press enter to open it. If you haven't emptied it yourself, that alone can free up a lot of space.

There is also a temp folder at C:\Windows\Temp - clean it out too.

In the same folder path as %temp% is one called CrashDumps - click on local in the Windows Explorer Address bar to see it - delete all the dumps. It probably won't free up a lot of space, but every little bit helps and you don't need those dumps.

If you still need a little space, log files under C:\Windows\Logs\ can be deleted. Depending on your setup, you may have a lot of files, or very few.

Are you using Windows 7/8/Vista? Type shell:cache in the address bar of windows explorer and press enter. Delete files in Content.Outlook... can delete all the folders if you want or go through and delete the contents. The apps that created them will recreate.

I use Shift+Delete when I'm cleaning these folders up - skip any file/folder that windows won't delete. And don't forget to empty the Recycle bin too.

If you are still short of space, turning off system restore can free up some space - remember to turn it back on. Just turning it off (to clear old restore points) then back on might free up enough space.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

My data in the drive D, the free space is 30GB.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Edition. I've tried all step follow your instruction, however still same problem.

Please advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mark Foley Cannot enable add-in in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2010 Cannot Open Attachments Using Outlook 14
K Cannot consistently drag and drop .msg files into Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
W Cannot delete Outlook 2010 data file Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2010 'cannot send on behalf of' when changing calendar apointment Exchange Server Administration 0
S Outlook 2010: Cannot save forms templates to folder list Using Outlook 4
R Shared Inbox Outlook 2010 - one client cannot access Exchange Server Administration 1
P Outlook 2010 - Cannot archieve emails Using Outlook 1
J Post SP3 upgrade - outlook 2003/2010 clients cannot connect Using Outlook 1
A outlook 2010, windows 7, exchange server: "The action cannot be completed. The connection to Micro Using Outlook 1
F I cannot highlight text in Microsoft Outlook 2010 e-mails, and copy/paste to the body of another e-m Using Outlook 3
M I cannot read any foreign language mails in outlook 2010 (Encoding issue) Using Outlook 1
A cannot connect outlook 2007 clients to exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
D Cannot read greek fonts in plain text messages - outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
D Cannot add second pst under Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2010 font changes on message for new email. Cannot read it on the screen Using Outlook 2
W Cannot Search Outlook Folders - Office 2010 Installed on Server 2008 R2 Using Outlook 2
B Outlook 2010 cannot get past Loading Profile when starting Using Outlook 3
G Outlook 2010: Cannot Open Item Error; and Operation Failed Error when replying!! Using Outlook 2
L Cannot change my setting on Microsoft Outlook 2010 from IMAP to POP. Using Outlook 1
W Cannot Search Outlook Folders - Office 2010 Installed on Server 2008 R2 Using Outlook 3
L Cannot open Outlook 2010 Student, operating system Windows XP Using Outlook 6
T Outlook 2010 / SBS 2010 - User cannot view emails moved to a folder that was previously imported fro Using Outlook 6
T Cannot open hyperlinks inside e-mails... (outlook 2010) Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010. Cannot access my Contacts from clicking 'To' butto to find an email send address. Using Outlook 2
G Using Outlook 2010, we can send Emails but cannot receive any through Outlook Using Outlook 2
S Cannot Open Attachments Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
J Cannot start Microsoft Outlook 2010 a second time Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 2010 cannot find suggested times with Exchange 2007. Using Outlook 5
A In Outlook 2010, I cannot preview Work or Excel attachments, even though all of the previewing optio Using Outlook 9
B cannot send email with microsoft outlook 2010 (64 bit) from Adobe ; outlook not recognised as defaul Using Outlook 8
I Outlook 2010 Cannot Preview Word Attachments Using Outlook 10
A Outlook 2010 - can't send/receive data file cannot be accessed Using Outlook 10
G Cannot open, add, connect to PST files from Outlook Pro Plus 2010 RTM Using Outlook 12
L Cannot install BCM 2010-"Outlook 2010 Not Installed" but it is! BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
L Cannot see online archive with Outlook 2010 RTM Exchange Server Administration 9
D Outlook 2007 vs. Outlook 2010 -- ToDo Bar Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i I think it may be time to upgrade from Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
T Why does outlook 2010 convert only some forum notifications to plain text? Using Outlook 0
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Outlook 2010 Problem with OutLook 2010 32 bit, after Windows Auto Update Using Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2010 account setup fails in particular domain Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010 is Auto Purging when not configured for that Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2010 Reading Pane Slows Startup Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
B Outlook 2010 Can not find a certain file in M/S Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2010 some sent items marked unread now (was Ok before) Using Outlook 0
RBLampert Updating from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 365 Using Outlook 0
L What are the risks of opening an Outlook 2016 .pst file in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4