Setting up windows 7 & outlook 2007 w/ Iphone 4 & synch contacts & calendar

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanessa

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Hello, my name is vanessa and I have a windows 7 computer with outlook 2007. Recently purchased iphone 4 and would like to have contacts and calender synchronize on PC and Iphone 4 simultaniously. -How do I initially move contacts and calender to Iphone 4?- How do I set up a wireless connection or interface in that if I enter a contact or calendar entry on iphone it will automatically show up in outlook 2007 and vice-versa? What is the most recommended way to do this due to the fact I do not have a MAC computer?thanks so much,Vanessa

Re: Setting up windows 7 & outlook 2007 w/ Iphone 4 & synch contacts & calenda

I recommend using the iCloud since you have a pop3 account. When you install it, it will pull all of the appointments and contacts out of the folders they are in and put them into the iCloud folders - that surprises a lot of people. In my opinion, it works well, although users did not expect it and tend to panic when it happens.

iCloud 2.1.2, which came out within the last few weeks, can be set as the default data file if you only use POP3 accounts.

Diane,

Thanks so much for the quick reply and recommendation and heads-up about iCloud. A few more questions? I have done a little bit of research and wanted to run these by you? It seems that iCloud for Windows 7 PC with Outlook 2007 is pretty clumsy and not so great. It syncs in real time by "pushing" contacts and calender through to both devices (laptop and iphone 4), however, lots of loss of data and moving contacts and calenders from default to icloud folders. What is your experience with this?

- I have read that initially I can manually sync iphone 4 with PC outlook 2007 to move everything from Outlook to phone like contact and calender. I always back up my .pst file so this is good. After that I would download iTunes iOS v5 and wirelessly sync at home Outlook calendar and contacts with iPhone since i will not need a cable. I haved a wireless network at home so this probably should not be a problem, right? I usually leave my laptop at home and carry my phone with me. My goal is to move away from manually synchronizing with cable and laptop pc like i have beeen with blackberry. My ultimate goal is that if I add or update the iPhone, I would like pc/outlook when turned on to automatically update and if update done on laptop, for iPhone 4 to update in real time. Is this possible with iTunes 5 iOS v5?

Furthermore, I haved read that I could also transfer contacts and calendar to google (I have a google account) and then wirelessly sync that way with ActiveSync as opposed to MobileMe.

Please let me know, and again thanks so much for all your assistance.

Vanessa

I can't confirm the wireless sync as I don't install iTunes, only iCloud. USB sync is always an option, even if its not your desired option.

Google no longer supports ActiveSync, except for paid Business accounts. Google and apple will sync but google and outlook don't.

Outlook.com will sync to both outlook (with the outlook connector) and apple (using active sync).

Diane,Thanks so much. what is outlook.com?

Diane,My device carrier, sent me this to sync Iphone 4 with outlook. what is your thought? See directions below line.____Want to synchronize your Outlook1 calendar with Google Calendar2 and your iPhone?With the right setup, all the synchronizing can happen automatically and within an instant behind the scenes, without your moving a finger. Enter an appointment in Outlook, and it will show up in your Gmail and iPhone calendars automatically. Edit the event later in Google Calendar, and the changes will be reflected in Outlook and on the iPhone instantaneously. Later, on the road, delete all commitments for the next 10 days — and they'll be gone from Google Calendar and Outlook right away. Now, in 10 minutes much rather than days, set up Outlook synching with Google Calendar and iPhone Calendar. Sync Google Calendar, Outlook and iPhone CalendarTo keep Google Calendar, the Outlook calendar and iPhone Calendar in sync automatically: On the Windows machine running Outlook: •If you use a free Gmail or Google Apps account: •Make sure iCal4OL3 is installed. •You can use a different Google Calendar or CalDAV for Outlook add-on, of course; the CalDAV settings from below should still apply. •Launch iCal4OL. •Go to the Who tab. •Click Other under CalDAV Autoconfiguration for:. •Enter "https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/[email address]/user" under Server: replacing "[email address]" with your Gmail or Google account address. •If the Gmail address for your Google Calendar account is "example@gmail.com", for instance, use "https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/example@gmail.com/user". •Type the full Gmail (or associated Google account) email address under Login. •Now type your Google Calendar (or Gmail) password under Password. •Click Retrieve configuration from server and save it. •For each calendar on Google Calendar: •Select the desired calendar in Outlook with which you want to synchronize the Google Calendar calendar under Outlook:.. •To create and use a new calendar in Outlook: •Click New. •Type the desired calendar's name under Add new Outlook Folder. •Click OK. •iCal4OL will use your Outlook's default data folder. •Make sure Down and Up are checked under Synchronization/Simulation.. •Usually, leave Reminders checked as well under Reminders. •Click Save. •Click Save again. •Go to the Run tab. •Click Start Synchronization. •Now pick a schedule for up- and downloading data under Tasktray Autostart. •Click the play button. •To start a synchronization run at any time: •Click the iCal4OL system tray icon with the right mouse button. •Select Run now from the menu that appears. •If you use use a Google Apps for Business4 account, you can also use Google Apps Sync: > •Download and install Google Apps Sync5. •Enter the email address associated with your Google Calendar account under Email:. •Type your Google Calendar password under Password:. •For full synchronization, make sure 2-way is selected under Sync Options. •Optionally, change the interval for automatic synchronization under Sync every ___ minutes. •Click Save. •You can change these settings at any time by double-clicking the Google Calendar Sync system tray icon. On the iPhone or iPod touch running iPhone Calendar: •Tap Settings on the Home screen. •Go to Mail, Contacts, Calendars. •Select Add Account... under Accounts. •Choose Other. •Tap Add CalDAV Account under Calendars. •Type "https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/[email address]/user" (not including the quotation marks and replacing "[email address]" with the Google Calendar account's email address) under Server. •Enter the email address you use to log into Google Calendar under User Name as well. •Enter your Google Calendar password under Password. •Optionally, tap "Google Calendar" under Description. •Tap Next.

Diane,Thanks so much. what is outlook.com?

It's the new Hotmail.

I have not tried iCal4OL3 lately but the earlier versions were bad. Try it and see if it works for you. Another company is working on an addin that will sync with gmail calendars but I'm not exactly sure when it will be ready.

Diane,Thanks again. So all in all, if I am understanding you, my best route at this point would be to go with iCloud and initially manually sync with iTunes?Is there a flow-sheet that you can send me to do this whole process?thanks,Vanessa

Diane,Thanks again. So all in all, if I am understanding you, my best route at this point would be to go with iCloud and initially manually sync with iTunes?Is there a flow-sheet that you can send me to do this whole process?thanks,Vanessa

Not sure if you figured it out already, but we are doing basically the same thing. I'm no expert, but I'll explain how I'm doing it so far.

First, understand the iTunes WiFi Sync is separate from iCloud. For each item category, you should only do one or the other. Actually, my iTunes can detect items that are iCloud-synced and will show them on iTunes Device Sync screen.

I let iCloud sync all the items it is able to (and the rest I do with iTunes). You will see them on your iPhone4's Settings/iCloud Screen. To facilitate that, on your Windows computer with Outlook 2007 installed, you install the latest iCloud Control Panel: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1455

In the iCCP, checkmark or turn-On Bookmarks and PhotoStream. You can turn on "Mail, Contacts, Calendars, & Tasks with Outlook" later when you are ready. It's a good idea to backup your Outlook .PST file first (and read-up on it so you know what to expect when it re-configs your Outlook files). Getting Bookmarks (into Safari) and PhotoStream working will prove that iCloud is working before you attempt Outlook.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/icloud-and-outlook-problems/

In iTunes (on the device's Sync Screen) you turn on "Sync with this [device] over WiFi".

Using iTunes, I sync: Apps, Music, Movies, TV Shows, Books (and PDFs).

Nothing on Info tab/page is handled by iTunes (instead, most if not all by iCloud).

I have iTunes Syncing set to Manual. Currently, I just Sync content from iTunes when I know I have something new (non iCloud-handled content) to send somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.