Recover/export rules from a backup .PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reeve

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Installing an Office365 email account blasted my POP3 rules on Outlook 2013. Yes, Exchange Rules. Oh, wait--it doesn't rule, at least not Outlook rules.

I have full backup copies of my PST's and I need to either import those rules directly from the .PST or export the rules. I've dug into Rules | Options. Import runs but tells me the file (.PST) is an improper format. For Export, I can't figure out how to point the Export process to the .PST file with the rules.

I can't find any reference to importing rules directly from a .PST--assuming it's possible at all. When I open the backup .PST in Outlook, I can see email and contacts but rules don't export. I don't know how to "activate" the rules in the newly-opened file so they show up in the Rules list.

I'd be very grateful for the magical steps necessary to solve my problem or for a product recommendation.

Thank you!

You need to set the pst that holds the rules as the default then export the rules. Then it should work - assuming there is nothing wrong with the pst format. (Not sure why you are getting that error message.)

Diane, thanks for your prompt response. Based your excellent article "Changing the Default Data File", I was able to find, recover, and reload my rules. Whew! However, I was unable to access the previous .PST file--when I used the Open file location window and selected the file, there was no Open button which you'd normally see in this context. Then I received a Must Close Dialog Box error but the only dialog open was Data Files/Outlook Data Files. Overall, this weird behavior looks like a bug. So I opened the backup .PST in Outlook to get it to appear in Account Settings | Data Files and then I didn't have to use the Open file location window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Recover server side rules from OST/PST without access to the server Using Outlook 2
C Recover calendar Using Outlook 0
O How to recover rules after switch from POP3 to IMAP Using Outlook 2
semnaitik Is it possible to recover content from a 0KB PST file? Using Outlook 3
M How many days are items in Recover Deleted at Outlook.com ? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
R Recover Deleted Appointment in Calendar Using Outlook 0
L 3rd party tools to recover deleted Office 365 contacts etc Using Outlook 7
E How to find or recover Lost e-mails within a folder under Inbox? Using Outlook 2
P Recover / Extract Rules from standalone PST file creating RWZ file Using Outlook 2
S recover a deleted folder in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
B How to recover deleted MS Outlook OST file? Using Outlook 4
fitzgerald Lost PST files after format - how to recover deleted files? Using Outlook 3
S Is it possible to recover a permanently deleted email from my .OST file? Using Outlook 0
H How-To recover email from Computer Crash Using Outlook 2
N Control ID for Outlook 2013 “Recover Deleted Items From Server” Using Outlook 0
A recover contact category assignments Using Outlook 4
D Recover deleted Outlook 2007 e-mail account Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Recover deleted messages from .pst files Using Outlook 0
K Recover/preserve space in database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
V Recover exchange 2010 edb Exchange Server Administration 2
Danie Lawson Trying to recover calendar Using Outlook 4
M recover deleted items vba macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
T Outlook 2013: How did "Inbox" emails jump straight to the "Recover Deleted Items" Folder? Using Outlook 2
S Recover Autocomplete After Computer Failure Re-install Using Outlook 3
N Deleted my email account - how to recover it Using Outlook 1
E The RECOVER DELETED ITEMS is grayed out and i can't recover my messages Using Outlook 1
M How do I Repair OST File from corruption and Recover OST data? Using Outlook 3
R How do I recover emails removed by Outlook because of IMAP? Using Outlook 1
S Recover messages that disappeared when copying to folder Using Outlook 1
L Recover Deleted Items Folder shows email which are not really deleted. Using Outlook 0
C Outlook 2007 - Recover Deleted Items - Columns to Choose from Using Outlook 1
B Can I recover info from size limited IMAP file (Outlook 2003) Using Outlook 3
M Recover moved mail to task folder Using Outlook 1
T Cannot recover archived Calendar items Using Outlook 1
R How to recover old hotmail messages from an .ost file Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
C Outlook/Exchange 2010 Recover Deleted Items to original folder Using Outlook 2
Q How to recover emails that are lost due to accidental removal of an email account Using Outlook 3
R Outlook 2010 Changed "Recover Deleted Items" Behavior Using Outlook 11
L How do you Recover from An Outlook 2007 & BCM Crash BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
Owl Export Outlook PDF Attachment as JPG? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
K Disabling import/export button to restrict PST creation Using Outlook 3
K Export Folder to PST Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Outlook 2010 How do you export 2 email Accounts' 2010 Inbox Files to new computer (2019)? Using Outlook 0
O Export Outlook calendar appointments by filters and date range Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Export-Import .pst file problems Using Outlook 2
M How to export Voting Results with user names and their responses Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
J Export Zimbra to Outlook PST Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
S How to export urls from email to excel and check the status of the url ? Using Outlook 5
C Export NSF Lotus Notes files in Outlook PST format? Using Outlook 1