Looking for options and best practices for an Edge Server (Exchange or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALSI ISA

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
A couple years ago I became the IS Admin for a 40 person non-profit with a single AD domain controller running Windows Server 2003 Standard and Exchange 2007. Originally the staff was using pop accounts to get their mail which then synced through Outlook back to the Exchange server. I ended up switching them over to using only Exchange from Outlook and using a POP connector to pull their pop mail to the server. This gave them a lot more versatility as well as effective use for mobile and OWA. Now I'm looking at removing the POP connector from the equation so my users don't have a delay on receiving emails from outside the organization.

What I'm trying to figure out first is if I can reasonably use this single server as an edge server or if I absolutely need to use another system for that purpose. I have a couple other Windows servers on the network, but I'm not very familiar with exchange licensing/version compatibility and I don't know what kind of server load the edge transport role or other edge solutions use (the other servers host SQL databases that were bogging down when sharing time with the Exchange store before we had multiple machines). I also don't know if we do or don't already have an edge transport role license on the existing server and if that license would be useable on another server without a second exchange server license.

Secondly, what are some other good options besides the Exchange Edge Transport role? Being a smallish non-profit, our budget is generally pretty limited and servers and MS software can get expensive quickly. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
sophievldn Looking for a macro that moves completed items from subfolders to other subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
C Looking for feedback on new Outlook Add-in Using Outlook 0
B Looking to get the Recipient email address (or even the "friendly name") from an email I am replying to using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Looking to filter (or just find/search) for only messages that the sender has sent more than 1 messa Using Outlook 2
G Looking for help with our Organization Forms Library Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
peacepanda How to save attachment looking at the attachment name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Looking to move away from exchange to outlook.com Using Outlook 4
B Looking for Outlook 2013 update for Send Drafts Macro Using Outlook 4
Aussie Looking for Outlook macro to Copy Recipient Names into Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Looking for trainer in Business Contact Manager BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
O looking to bring in all my folders from Outlook Express (XP) to Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 3
B Looking for an add-in or a way to send automatic replies based off a list Using Outlook 2
R Outlook Template: Looking to distribute a VBA Outlook template to other people Using Outlook 1
J Looking for a solution (maybe an add-in) to easily track email conversations Using Outlook 3
I Looking for a productivity add-in similar to "Nostalgy" for Thunderbird Using Outlook 5
Q Looking for Outlook 2010 Close Event Id Exchange Server Administration 1
C Looking for way to tie a Business Contact to more than one Account BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
J OL2003 Macro disables itself - looking for way to automate 'enable' Using Outlook 2
R Looking for my BCM backup files BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
B Looking for email address under ItemSend event Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
S Looking for client-side method (Outlook 2007/Exchange 2007) for users to delete Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Looking for a Utility for Editting An Exported Rules (.rwz) File Using Outlook 6
P Outlook looking for Copy of Outlook.pst Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
U looking for feedback on installation process and on eMarking Assis Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Why are my Junk options shown as slashed off Using Outlook 6
S mouse right click options Using Outlook 2
S Navigation Pane Location And Options Using Outlook 19
David McKay VBA to manually forward using odd options Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Asking user to select multiple options in a list in an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Is it possible to cusstomise selectable Options in Kalander. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Jennifer Murphy Calendar options Using Outlook 1
Gary Hile Outlook 2016 changing editor options Using Outlook 6
Diane Poremsky Change Outlook's Programmatic Access Options Using Outlook 0
rerun101 Question about message options Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Y Are there any Sound options for Office 2016 specifcally for outlook? Using Outlook 0
I Outlook 2016 Preview Address Book Options Using Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky No drop down calendars in Outlook 2010 Print Options Using Outlook 0
C Autofill subject line in appointment from options selected in combobox Using Outlook 6
Steve Jacobs Possible to configure TNEF options based on *sender*? Exchange Server Administration 3
mrje1 Junk Options - Safe Lists not working. Using Outlook 0
P Cannot open Options Menu Outlook 2007 and Cannot create a new profile Using Outlook 0
Commodore Color options in 2010... Using Outlook 0
H Date options on Customized Contact form Using Outlook 2
S Exam 77-884: Managing Contact Module Options Using Outlook 4
J Outlook replacement options - contact journal activities lost Using Outlook 23
M Is there a reference for the valid XML tags and their options? Using Outlook 3
H Issue with Custom Voting options Using Outlook 3
H mark as read per folder options Using Outlook 1
H Contacts View > Arrangement options are all grayed out Using Outlook 5
F Can't set work time in OL 2010, all options are grayed out. Using Outlook 2