Particular Facebook "Hyperlink" Issue In Office 2010 Outlook (32 bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKW

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I'm using Office 2010 Outlook (32 bit) on my Dell XPS 400 (no Exchange Server Account),with Windows XP SP3, and always download and install the suggested Microsoft updates.

For the past 2 months now, whenever I get a Facebook Status update email from a friend, the embedded Hyperlink WILL WORK when clicking on the the "View Post" option, or by clicking directly on a featured photo;but clicking on the "Like Comment" & Share" hyperlink option below the posts, NO LONGER redirects properly, and comes up with a "404 page not Found" error on Facebook.

This link below, is the only one that is shown whenever I try clicking on one of the 3 options for ANY Facebook email that I receive that is similar:

https://www.facebook.com/sig_t?sig=AVK_Lzl5yS-YVQQ8

This happens whether I choose ie8, or Firefox, with the proper "Protocol"/"Default" assignments under "Add Remove", File Types under "Folder Options" , and with ie8 and Firefox's individual "Options.
And with the exception of doing a "Redirect" edit using Microsoft Office 2010 Visual Studio Pro, I've tried EVERY other suggested online fix for "Outlook 2010 Hyperlink" issues, including "Regedit" tweaks, deleting the "OutlookSecureTempFolder" in the registry and creating a default one, and all of the "Fixits" I found that address this issue.

But as I wrote it is solely the "Like", "Comment" and "Share" hyperlink options underneath these FB status update emails that have this problem, the other hyperlink options within these emails work fine.

I really liked having this option, because they actually worked, unlike the usual "faux" hyperlinks where you have to go to the redirected site to click on the site's links directly.

I've googled this particular issue extensively, and have NOT seen it posted (even on FB forums), so it definitely looks to be a new one, most likely due to a either a Security update, or possibly another Facebook Admin change, but they aren't talking.

I downloaded and configured the extensive set of Microsoft Office GPO Administrative Template options (under "Machine" and "User") to see if that would help, as well as signing up for "Outlook Social Connector", but NO DICE .

And before anyone suggests the "FBLook" Plugin, their site currently has this notice posted, as of 10-9-13:
"Facebook has made several changes, which made FBLook incompatible. We have temporarily taken FBLook offline while we fix them. Thank you for your patience and support."

I'm no "Techie", and trying to use Visual Studio would not only be out of my league, but possibly even dangerous should I mess up my registry or something. So I must ask for help, ANY of which would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks.
-DKW

Okay. FYI, I just tried disabling Facebook's "Secure" browsing to see if that was the issue, but no.

Hi,

So, were you able to confirm that it was a Facebook "API" change causing this particular problem?

I should add, that I get the same error when I click on one of the 3 options in the emails via my Mobile device's basic Outlook service, and app, as well....

No, my messages from facebook are fine and i can't repro this problem. If its also happening on your mobile device, the mail is hitting the server messed up, it's not outlook doing it. Security software (antivirus or antispam) on the server may be at fault.

No, my messages from facebook are fine and i can't repro this problem. If its also happening on your mobile device, the mail is hitting the server messed up, it's not outlook doing it. Security software (antivirus or antispam) on the server may be at fault.

Well,

After re-installing Windows XP MCE on a new Seagate Barracuda Drive for my Dell XPS 400, and contacting Earthlink support last night, with the tech doing a complete round of "remote" troubleshooting with different Browsers, etc. via my email account, it looks to be coming from Facebook's end, as the tech got the same error with that particular "404" link that I've been getting.

But there's NO way I'm going to email Facebook Help and hold my breath waiting for an answer; so, I'll simply have to give up...

Status
Not open for further replies.