Duplicate email when receiving email sent To: me and CC to a group I belong to

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmrogers7

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
My company just switched over to Outlook 2010 from Lotus Notes. I'm finding that when someone sends me an email where my name is in the To: field and also CC's a group to which I belong, I get the email twice. I can't find any rule parameter that applies to when a "specific group" is CC'd (there is only a rule for specific groups in the To: field) in order to devise a rule that will keep one of the copies of the email in my Inbox while filing/deleting the other copy. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Re: Duplicate email when receiving email sent To: me and CC to a group I belon

Do you want all mail that is CC'd to the group moved ot the folder, or just mail that is duplicated? The first is fairly easy if you use a Run a Script rule, the second takes a bit more code to check for dupes.

Hi Diane -

Thanks for responding. To answer your question... just the email that is duplicated. So, when someone sends an email to me where my name is in the To: field and also copies a group of which I am a member in the CC: field, I get 2 copies of the email. I'd like to have one copy of the email (preferably the one where my name is in the To: field... although it probably makes no real difference which one it is) remain in my "Inbox" and have the other copy (preferably the one CC:'d to the group of which I am a member) sent to the "Deleted Items" folder.

Thanks!

Hi Diane - Did you have any feedback based on my answer to your question?

For some reason, I thought I replied. Sorry about that. While you could try a rule, it won't detect which message is sent to you and which is sent to the group. I'll need to test it and see if the one that comes from group address has anything different in the header that you could filter on. That way, you could use a script that says 'if recipients include me and this group and its the group copy, then delete'. Just using 'sent to me and the group' will delete both copies.

No worries on the reply, it happens :)

OK, I appreciate you testing this out. I'll wait to see what you find out from your testing.

Thanks!

Any progress on this, Diane?

I don't see anything in the header that will identify it as being sent to the group, well other than the group email address (assuming it's a GAL group).

If it's a GAL group, the correct behavior is the message is only received once and outlook should detect that an address is on the list twice.

Yeah, that's what I wish was happening. I'm getting the email twice every time without fail. Very annoying. Seems like there should be something easy rule-wise to address this behavior but I can't find it.

Is the a distribution list in the global address list or one a user has in their contacts?

Oh. I wonder if its something from switch from notes. The address they may be using for you could be different from the one the DL has. if the addresses don't match, Exchange won't remove the second copy. If they use a contact created when you use notes, it probably uses the smtp address - exchange can get it to you, but its not using the address from the gal, so exchange thinks it's two different people.

It is in the global address list. The same group existed/exists in Notes as well. So, do you think I'm just stuck with this? No way to "rule" it out? :)

There is no way to use a rule, at least that i can see.

You can look at the headers of both messages and compare - see if there is anything that identifies the one that comes through the dl. i didn't see anything in the ones i looked at, but i also didn't convert from notes.

Thanks for looking into this. Do you think that this issue will disappear once the entire company s finally converted over to Outlook? As of right now, it's a mixed bag with some having been converted to Outlook and others still using Notes. Although it doesn't seem to have mattered if I get an email form someone already converted to Outlook or from someone still in Notes (although all members of the group in question have not been converted to Outlook yet).

It should. If it doesn't and people have a contact for you in their contacts, they should delete the contact and recreate it from the gal. This will insure it wasn't migrated from notes. Also, they should delete your autocomplete entry.

Sounds reasonable. Thank you for taking the time to help!

Is your From address identical to the address you received the message? If the address is identical, outlook should detect it and delete it.

Did it recently stop working? If so, when? What office build number are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.