icacream

Outlook version
Outlook 2021 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
hello

I think I am in DEEP trouble !

this is outlook 2007, and it will not open

I get this daunting message : Cannot open your default e-mail folders. Errors have been detected in the C:\Users\---\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair tool, see Help.

as soon as I click ok on this message, outlook closes...

I don't know which HELP I'm supposed to go to, neither inbox repair tool or scanpst.exe get me anywhere on the general help

and scanpst.exe does not seem to be on my computer.... :confused:

so you're my hope !!!

thks

See How to use scanpst for full instructions.

Scanpst is at one of these locations, depending on whether you use 32 or 64 bit Windows. Open the run command (windows key + r) and type or paste the correct line in the Open field.

Outlook 2007 on Windows 64-bit:

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office12\scanpst.exe

Outlook 2007:

%programfiles%\Microsoft Office\Office12\scanpst.exe

You can go to the folder where your data file is and rename it to outlook-old.pst then start outlook. it will say it can't find the data file and ask if you want to make a new one. Say yes. This will allow you to check for new email. Then run scanpst on the outlook-old.pst to recover your old mail. If scanpst can fix it, you can import the contents to the new data file.

How to repair a damaged Outlook Personal Folders file (pst) has a list of commercial tools if scanpst can't fix it.

not found.jpg

hello,

thanks for your prompt answer !

I have no success with finding scanpst.exe

as for renaming the file, that went fine

but when I open outlook, it says it cannot find the file but does not ask whether I want to create a new one, instead it opens the folder for me to select a file to open

can I get a blank .pst anywhere file to place in the folder ?

but I managed to open in safe mode and create a new file

if I can eventually repair the old file, will it be possible to merge the new entering mails with the old ones ?

Yes, you'll be able to merge the files of you can get the old one open.

Try entering the path in Windows Explorer - type or paste it in the address bar and press enter.

hello Diane,

there is something missing on this forum : it's a HUGE HAPPY smiley !!!
:D :D :D

Try entering the path in Windows Explorer - type or paste it in the address bar and press enter.

that worked and it took about 20 minutes for scanpst.exe to work its magic

as I had only half a dozen messages on the file I had created last night, I just slided them on my desktop and placed them back in outlook one by one :)

so all is fine and beautiful and I am VERY thankful for your help

may 2014 be a fantastic year for you, full of happy surprises and laughs with your friends

and followed by many more similar years !

have a nice day

priska

Re: errors have been detected... outlook.pst - worse issues...

Believe my issue is related, but worse, tried iCloud and when I removed it, several problems with my pst file appeared.

W7 32bit Outlook 2010

My main PST is on a second hard drive

I've uninstalled, reinstalled MS Office Pro 2010

I've ran scanpst

I've run the Outlook repair program

Two problems remain so far intransigent

One of my email accounts (POP) yahoo will not send from the outbox,

error is cant find the pst file, even though I have gone to the email account file and directed it to the correct pst file/folder. BTW, when I test the yahoo account it sends fine in the window, but never shows in the inbox. Send/ recieve works fine for all the email accounts except the yahoo, which reports the "Task xxxx@yahoo.com - Sending reported error (0x8004010F) Outlook data file cannot be accessed"

Three other email accounts IMAP appear to show an outlook file in the C drive, not the main file which is on a second installed hard drive.

Possibly unrelated issue; I have several contact files that I want to archive out of the main pst file, but when I select info/Mailboox Cleanup Tools/archive, I get a messsage The operation failed becaues of a registry or installation problem. Restart Outlook and try again. If the problem persists. reinstall. I have restarted multiple times, ran scanpst, and actually reinstallled Office 2010 with no change in the issue

Account settings box works, and seems to function normally

Rules and Alerts gets the same error notice as Cleanup Tools

I've run out of options

Richard

Believe my issue is related, but worse, tried iCloud and when I removed it, several problems with my pst file appeared.

W7 32bit Outlook 2010

My main PST is on a second hard drive

I've uninstalled, reinstalled MS Office Pro 2010

I've ran scanpst

I've run the Outlook repair program

Two problems remain so far intransigent

One of my email accounts (POP) yahoo will not send from the outbox,

error is cant find the pst file, even though I have gone to the email account file and directed it to the correct pst file/folder. BTW, when I test the yahoo account it sends fine in the window, but never shows in the inbox. Send/ recieve works fine for all the email accounts except the yahoo, which reports the "Task xxxx@yahoo.com - Sending reported error (0x8004010F) Outlook data file cannot be accessed"

Three other email accounts IMAP appear to show an outlook file in the C drive, not the main file which is on a second installed hard drive.

Possibly unrelated issue; I have several contact files that I want to archive out of the main pst file, but when I select info/Mailboox Cleanup Tools/archive, I get a messsage The operation failed becaues of a registry or installation problem. Restart Outlook and try again. If the problem persists. reinstall. I have restarted multiple times, ran scanpst, and actually reinstallled Office 2010 with no change in the issue

Account settings box works, and seems to function normally

Rules and Alerts gets the same error notice as Cleanup Tools

I've run out of options

Richard

I've also discovered that several of my yahoo test messages have actually been sent and show up in another IMAP account I have configured to receive messages from the yahoo account, but these are ONLY the messages sent by the outlook email setup test function, not regular messages from the outbox.

In Account Settings, select the POP account - then click the Change folders button at the bottom of the window and select the inbox. Does that fix it?

Did you try making a new profile? Or, try removing the problem accounts from the profile, including the pop3 data file (you may need to add a new blank pst file to the profile first).

markanthony, read message #6 .... diane sorted it out for me... ;)

Spammers. :( The pst repair utility developers and resellers are the absolute worst spammers. They flood forums with their links.

Status
Not open for further replies.