Enormous size of IMAP .pst file

Status
Not open for further replies.

chupacabra

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I've been using MS Outlook for many years and probably this question will be on a level of a caveman but
can anyone explain me what exactly is stored inside .pst file which is being created when I set up email account in IMAP?

You can use a program called MFCMAPI to look at the hidden things, just don't delete anything. The IMAP pst in Outlook 2010 has mail, some hidden messages for rules, views and other things. The message overhead can be as much as 25% (Outlook msg format compared to the IMAP server's mbox format), so it will be larger than the mailbox on the server but how much is specific to your mail. Larger messages and messages with attachments grow more in the conversion than small messages. I would expect about 10% larger.

So just to clarify; it contains only emails and it can't contain data like contacts, tasks or notes? If I delete it will everything download again from a server?
Another thing I don't understand is if my IMAP .pst file has like 10GB and I delete it, why after it's recreated it's much smaller than before, like 2GB. What happens with the rest 8GB?

IMAP is email only, so yes, in Outlook 2010 you'll only have email in it. Outlook 2013's IMAP accounts can have calendar and contacts in local "This Computer Only" folders only. It's a poor decision in my mind, too easy to lose them and they can't be recovered.

I have no idea what happened to the 8 GB but one can assume the data file was corrupt or Outlook went nuts, and you have in the neighborhood of 2 GB actually on the server. I've never had it happen to me personally but have heard tell of as much as 50 GB data files when the server had much less.

One thing that can cause a large pst is RSS feeds. I don't know if you can deliver RSS feeds to an IMAP data file in Outlook 2010.

I've noticed that in Outlook 2013 there is no designated .pst file other data than emails and IMAP files are now called .ost. If I have five email accounts configured in Outlook 2103, in which .ost file my contacts and the rest will be stored? I'm guessing in the one that is chosen as a default one but what if I change a default email address? Will all contacts will be transferred to a different .ost file or since then they will be saving in that new default .ost file?

I checked the size of Gmail from the Gmail app and it's actually 32GB. Is there something I can do about it (like maybe switch to POP and keep it organized on the computer)?
In Outlook 2010, shall I configure this kind of account to "Download full messages" or "Headers only"?

If there is only one data file with calendar and contacts folders, they will go into those folders. You can switch default email accounts - just don't change the default data file. That will create a new set of calendar and contacts folders and outlook will start using them.

My recommendation with outlook 2013 imap is to set up the profile identical to outlook 2010 and older: using a pst file as default for calendar and contacts. It's much safer as the 'this computer only' folders are not recoverable.

Is it possible to transfer all the data (contacts, calendars, notes, tasks) from one .pst\ost file to another .pst file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A How to reduce size of custom contact form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Appointment font size when printing only changes Tasks' font Using Outlook 0
J Increase read pane font size, but NOT image size? Using Outlook 3
J images on note field display fraction of size Using Outlook 5
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Adjusting font size in folders Using Outlook 1
S New Outlook Appointment - Select All Body Text and Change Font and Size Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
HappyDaddy007 "Size" on field chooser/column displaying incorrect value Using Outlook 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 How can I change the font size on right side appointment pane Using Outlook 12
B Change Font and Font size using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
M Deleting attachments does not reduce file size Using Outlook 0
K Outlook 2016 - controlling IMAP OST size with Group Policy not working Using Outlook 1
T Outlook Contacts ... Changing Font Size, Style, Bold, etc. Using Outlook 2
A Outlook Userform Size Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Outlook Message Window Changes Size and Position Using Outlook 1
CWM030 Call me old if you want. OL 2016 font size out of the box. Using Outlook 3
M Mailbox Size Outlook.com or Outlook 2011 Using Outlook 1
Rupert Dragwater Can't change font size Using Outlook 5
T "From" field font size in table list of emails Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2007, windows 10 Font size Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky The Attachment Size Exceeds the Allowable Limit Error Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Changing the Message Size in Exchange Server Using Outlook 0
K Error: Paper Size Invalid Using Outlook 0
M Why delivery receipt size is same than sent email size or even larger? Using Outlook 1
J Increase font size of message body Using Outlook 5
C What exactly happens when you reach the DB size limit? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
D Outlook 2007 e-mail header- How to set font & font size in received message headers ? Using Outlook 2
T OST vs PST file size Using Outlook 2
C contact photo size Using Outlook 2
J Font size changed in new mail messages Using Outlook 5
Diane Poremsky Check Message Size Before Sending Using Outlook 0
oliv- Reduce the size of picture attachments: programmatically Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L what is safe size for pst of Outlook 2013 via Office 365 exchange? Using Outlook 1
R PST Size Alert Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2013 : controlling message size in Windows 8.1 Using Outlook 3
H Outlook 2013 size issue Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2013 IMAP folder showing 0KB file size Using Outlook 10
O How to increase Font size in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2007 to 2013 PST still has the 07 size limit not bigger 13 limit Using Outlook 3
MattC Some fonts the wrong size in incoming emails in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 6
B Outlook 2000 Rule to Move txt msg Not Working if size >24KB Using Outlook 3
R IMAP emails size is 0KB Using Outlook 3
M reducing file attachment size on custom form Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2010 custom form olk control font size increases everytime form is published Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Outlook 2013 .ost File Size Exchange Server Administration 2
O Form cache size for OL2010 is set up to 0 Kbs, but sometimes ! Using Outlook 8
N Outlook email replies doubling in size Using Outlook 4
D Point Size for Fonts in Custom Font Style (Outlook 2013) Using Outlook 0
J adjusting size of selfmade fields BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
L Oulook Size On a Desktop Screen Using Outlook 2
J Microsoft Outlook 2007 Font Size Too Small Using Outlook 1