question about saving my .pst so I can import it to my Outlook after I build a new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hello All,

IN the past when setting up my Outlook 2010 I would save the latest .pst and save it. To get all my email data into my new system I have done it 2 different ways. I have setup outlook as a new setup and I have set it up and said I have a account then I would browse to the location and install Outlook and it seems to work.

I have also set it up as a new account then opened the .pst location and then dragged my saved .pst into the default .pst location and selected to overwrite the .pst in that location.

I've even installed Outlook as a new account and then once installed click on file then import from.pst all three ways worked for me and I had the most current files in my new Outlook

all 3 ways have worked for me, My question is there a preferred way to install Outlook 2010 and get the saved most current .pst into my Outlook So that I ahve the most current version of what my Outlook had in it before the new install
I appreciate the help

The preferred way is to set up the account and select the pst as you set it up. If you use auto account setup, click the manually configure option after Outlook finds the account then select the pst.
See http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner-user/use-existing-data-file-in-outlook/ for screenshots.
I am so confused now, I have installed outlook 2010 by create a new account then go to file>open/import find your file type and then find your .pst file and import.

I've also installed Outlook 2010 and set it up as a new account then after the install I go to account settings and open the location folder where my .pst is located. Then I just drag my saved .pst to that folder letting it overwrite the default .pst.

Both ways have given me all my mail,calendar appointments etc.

I'm not saying your way is wrong, I just expected you to say one of my methods is the best way but instead you offered me a completely different way and I have never done it that way.

Once again I am not saying the way you say is best I just have never done it that way. Can you please explain why that way if better than the 2 different ways I have done it several time? Just to be clear I am not disputing your way or saying it is wrong I am just trying to understand how your way is better than the 2 methods I have used many times.
OK the obvious question is if I have 2 ways why ask for help? I just wanted to know what is the best way expecting someone to pick one of my ways and you give me a complete different way, so I am really confused. In no way am I trying to be a jerk or anything I just want to understand. if you can explain why your way is better than the ways I have done it in the past?
Thanks
Ronm

We don't recommend replacing the pst with one of the same name these days - that can cause corruption in the address book in newer versions of Outlook and the only way to fix is removing all accounts and adding them back (or making a new profile). It was quick and easy and worked well in older Outlook's though.

Import generally causes fewer problems with the address book but custom views, rules, color categories and other settings stored in the pst aren't included in import/export.

That leaves reusing the same pst but in a manner that is least likely to cause problems. In a new profile, adding the pst after adding the account to the profile, but before actually opening outlook, works good. In existing profiles, add it as another pst then set it as default and repoint pop accounts to deliver to it.

I guess you hare confusing the heck out of me.....lolI've installed win7 4 times in the last week thus having to install Office 2010 as many times, once in the install of Outlook it asks if this is a new account or do I have a .pst saved. I have those 2 choices.

I also have created a new account opened the default .pst folder that is the default folder for Outlook's .pst and copied the .pst in that folder and just drag my saved .pst into the default folder and allow it to overwrite the default .pst and when I open Outlook I have all my mail all my saved emails and all my calender appointments.

Are you saying that the 2 ways I get my saved .pst into Outlook are wrong or just not your preferred way?

If it works, then no problem, but pasting over a pst can lead to corruption. Outlook experts also don't recommend using Windows Easy Transfer because it leads to corrupt profiles - but it works fine for some people.

once in the install of Outlook it asks if this is a new account or do I have a .pst saved. I have those 2 choices.
You'll see this dialog if you use the fully manual account setup option. If you use auto account setup, you need to choose Manually configure settings after outlook finds the server names to open this dialog. It's recommended that you choose the saved pst option and select it here as you create the account.

I have all my mail all my saved emails and all my calender appointments.
The important thing is to reuse the pst - not only will you have calendar and mail, you'll have category colors, rules, custom views and other customizations that are stored in the pst.

So when I install Outlook and do the manual setup where it asks for a .pst I should enter the location of my saved pst ? I did that one time and was worried about moving the .pst file by mistake., which I did, I prefer having the .pst file to be in the default location.

I understand you are saying the way I copy over the original .pst could cause corrupt files and I've just been luck not to have any..

So I will ask one other question.
I know the default folder location of the .pst file when you install Outllook, would it work if I copied my saved .pst in that folder and then when Outlook ask me for the .pst location I just enter the default location where I copied the .pst that way I will have my saved ,pst and it will be in the default location. would that work?

So when I install Outlook and do the manual setup where it asks for a .pst I should enter the location of my saved pst ? I did that one time and was worried about moving the .pst file by mistake., which I did, I prefer having the .pst file to be in the default location.
Correct. Put the pst where you want it before you create the account then select the pst.

I know the default folder location of the .pst file when you install Outllook, would it work if I copied my saved .pst in that folder and then when Outlook ask me for the .pst location I just enter the default location where I copied the .pst that way I will have my saved ,pst and it will be in the default location. would that work?
Yes, this will work.

FWIW, Outlook doesn't care where the pst is - you can put it anywhere you want. It only uses the default location if it is creating the pst.

Correct. Put the pst where you want it before you create the account then select the pst.

Yes, this will work.

FWIW, Outlook doesn't care where the pst is - you can put it anywhere you want. It only uses the default location if it is creating the pst.
One last thing I would appreciate if you can tell me if I understand this correctly..

My default folder that has my current .pst file is C:\Users\User\Documents\Outlook Files which I assume if I told Outlook to create a new account that is where the new .pst would be.

If I tell Outlook when configuring my account where the .pst is then browse to that folder mentions above where I copied my saved .pst to, then I would select it and Outlook will take that .pst and since I gave it the location of my saved .pst Outlook will know I have a .pst so it will not create a new one.

I would hate to put my .pst in the default folder and then for some reason Outlook overwrite it and poof all my mail and calender data is gone. I building a new computer and will have to install win7 and office all over again and I just want to make sure I don't lose anything.

I appreciate your help very much and forgive me for not thanking you in each post

Ron

Correct, if a pst exists in the folder, Outlook WILL NOT overwrite it - it'll add a number to the end of the file name.

Status
Not open for further replies.