Daylight savings - another subtle bug ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDavidSlight

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Wrote this up on LinkedIn - second time zone wrong again on jump forward day!

The show second time zone is a really useful feature but it seems the strip of hourly markers in the second time zone strip is based on the conversion of the first time zone at the start of the period shown.

But when we jump forward, magic has to happen at 1AM PST - it becomes 2AM PST, there is no 1:01, 1:02 but is shows right there in Office as an available calendar slot. That's probably OK and in fact if you try to enter a 1am to 2am appointment, Outlook helpfully converts it to a 1AM to 3AM appointment!

But is uses up a one hour time slot in the second time zone which is then shown incorrectly for the rest of the day!

See Daylight Savings: another (subtle) bug in Office! for full info plus screen shots

Attachments

• DST1.JPG
    DST1.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 437
I wrote about this display issue years ago - Dual Time Zone & DST Calendar Display Bug. It's not a bug because expecting Outlook to redraw the time scale is not reasonable. Note that affects the entire week when the week display starts on Sunday.

Its a bug, and you called it so :) There should be some warning or indication that the displayed time scale is WRONG.

That was for click bait :) (and I basically said that in my article) Back when i wrote it, using the word 'bug' got more attention... But calling it a bug takes away from the many real bugs that are in outlook.

It's a limitation of the dual time scale and can be avoided if you swap time zones or use work week view.

Its not fixable because redrawing the time scale for 2 days a year (or even just popping up a warning dialog for it), for a problem that appears under specific conditions affecting a small numbers of users is not cost-effective and would be difficult to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Outlook DST (Daylight Saving Time) problem Using Outlook 0
S Note: The GMT offset above does not reflect daylight saving time adjustments Using Outlook 12
HarvMan Outlook 365 - Rule to Move an Incoming Message to Another Folder Using Outlook 4
C Copy from one Profile to another Using Outlook 0
P Tweak vba so it can target another mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Move emails from one account to another Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Clear one category when another is chosen Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Item cannot be saved because it was modified by another user or window, and, Item could not be moved... Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is it possible to transfer things from one calendar to another Using Outlook 2
S Email Generated from another program and then edited sends original email. Using Outlook 2
R Time for another article on contact cards? Using Outlook 0
C Copy Outlook contact field value to another field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Message search and edit, another way? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
F Copy and replace not update contact in another pst Using Outlook 0
D Importing Outlook Categories from another domain (Exchange 2016/Outlook 2016) Using Outlook 4
B Outlook Business Contact Manager with SQL to Excel, User Defined Fields in BCM don't sync in SQL. Can I use VBA code to copy 1 field to another? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
R "Can't store Outlook data files under the AppData folder. Please choose another folder." Using Outlook 6
X Unable to send an email from one account to another on same PC Using Outlook 2
M Moving mail to another folder is much slower than before (Office365) Using Outlook 0
CWM030 Another Quarantine question Exchange Server Administration 0
D Any updates or fixes that would make this code stop working just moving emails to another folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P when i move inbox mails to another folder in outlook the mail disappears Using Outlook 1
B Moving account, contacts & emails to another H/D with MSOutlook Using Outlook 5
M Shortcut to another outlook item Using Outlook 0
Sabastian Samuel HOW DO I FORWARD AN EMAIL WITH MACRO using an email that in the body of another email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P Unread Until Click Another Message? Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Another reinstall of Outlook 2010 issue Using Outlook 10
M code to move selected Outlook contacts to another folder Using Outlook 3
D Help with code to move mail on receipt to another folder based on time received Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M FW Email via Outlook and another requirement Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Outlook - 2013 - Error msg when copying folders from Online Archives to another user's mailbox Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Set Another Data File as Default When Using an Exchange Account Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Copy New Appointments to Another Calendar using VBA Using Outlook 0
D Unable to Send On Behalf of Another User Exchange Server Administration 0
D EXPORTING MS EXCHANGE EMAILS to another platform Exchange Server Administration 10
mrmmickle1 UserProperties VBA to move message to another folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
P Office 365 manage another person's calendar Using Outlook 0
Q Outlook 2016\365 export specific rules to import in another system Exchange Server Administration 1
J Outlook 2013 how to convert 2013 OST file into an another format, i m using outlook 2013 versions. Using Outlook 1
C Custom Application Form send Email to Another User Using Outlook 1
M Copy new appointments created in multiple shared calendars to another exchange calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Calling one module from another Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M How to duplicate content of one field in another field? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
iwshim Transfering mail from the outbox to another computer Using Outlook 0
I Outlook 2010 Replicating mixed PST/OST profile to another desktop Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
J Macro for replying to One Email with another Using Outlook 1
wallisellener Another BCM Authentication thread BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
mikecox Forward email to another address; not with Rules Using Outlook 3
T Macro to find contacts by category and copy them to another folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 15
I How to block time in another calendar without invite? Using Outlook 2