Rules - how to determine if all conditions in rule are true or false

Discussion in 'Slipstick.com: VBA and Programming Articles' started by Andrzej, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Andrzej

Andrzej

Dear Forum Users,
    I am trying to get know if all conditions in a single rule return true or false.
    How to get know that by VBA (programmatically) ?
    For example I have a rule:

If subject or body contains "AC4" or "AC 4" or AC/4" forward it to AC4 group and run a script "Project1.ThisOutlookSession.test"

I want script "test" to return true if above conditions are fulfil or false if not.
    I really appreciate your help.

Regards,
    Andrzej Nizankowicz

2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

i have a lot of samples here - Outlook's Rules and Alerts: Run a Script

If one of those values is true in the rule, it passes it on to the script. if the script doesn't run, it can't return false.

If you want to test all messages, you could either use a rule with no conditions then use an if statement to test or use an itemadd macro to test messages that arrive in the inbox.

The if would read something like :

if instr(1, item.body, "AC4") > 0 or instr(1, item.body, "AC 4") > 0 or instr(1, item.body, "AC/4") > 0 then
    ' do whatever if true
    else
    'do whatever if not true
    end if

This will work to wild card the separator - it will find AC/4, AC 4, and ACL4 - which may or may not work for you.
    If UCase(Item.Body) Like UCase("*AC?4*") = True Or InStr(1, Item.Body, "AC4") > 0 Then
    ' do whatever
    else
    'do whatever
    end if

3. Andrzej

Andrzej

Diane,
    Thank you very much for the answer.
    I thought rather about solution which is based on already existing objects. Somehow rules must know if to execute a single rule or not... If there is no other method I will have to do that your way :)
    Does anyone has another suggestion?
    Regards,
    Andrzej

4. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

If you want the script to return true or false, then it needs to do the testing - and test all messages (or test all messages meeting a specific condition, such as from internet addresses.

You could also use two rules - one looking for the words and have it run the script then a second rule applying to all mail - if they are in this order with 'stop processing' enabled, it will work (but you could add an exception for the conditions in the first rule as a fail safe), but it can't be done in one rule.

BTW - you should do all actions in a script - it's prone to fail if you mix actions with a script.

5. Andrzej

Andrzej

Dear Diane,
    Once again thank you. I found another solution. I put a script to every rule. If rule meets conditions to run, it runs also the script. Then I don't have to check if sum of conditions in a rule is true!
    I hope this will work - I am going to check it soon.
    Regards,
    Andrzej

6. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

That *should* work - but it's not recommended to mix actions in the rule with scripts - once the message is handed off to the script, the rule stops and additional actions will be skipped.

If you are trying to identify which rule is affecting each message, add a category to the message, where the category name is the rule name.