Some of my folders in outlook.com appear to have vanished, thanks to v1803

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffy1803

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2007
I accept the accepted protocols about NOT posting the same problem in more than one forum but I hope you will bear with me. I've had many problems with outlook since v1803 eg problem 1 and problem 2. I decided to take a break from them yesterday, a public holiday in the UK, and do some shopping on-line.
When I first started on-line shopping a year or so ago, I set up a folder in outlook.com called "Bought on Line". As my activities increased, a few months ago I set up a series of folders listing the main retailers. These folders have disappeared from the left-hand side of my outlook.com - I have just checked every single folder there in case they'd been merged into another folder but they've all gone.

But the strange thing is that if I open an email and then click on the 'Move to' command, this is what I see:

Outlook problem missing folder Marks bought on line2 2018-05 28th.PNG

So the folders are there but aren't showing! I posted in the MS Community outlook.com forum but it seems the experts there are either overwhelmed with problems or have no answer.

My outlook.com came as part of Office 365 Home for which I have paid an annual subscription since December 2016
Is there any help that you can give me please?

PS I must have hit the wrong button - I do not have Outlook 2016 for Mac. I have outlook.com and was puzzled by the reference to 'obsolete'. I'll change the info when I've figured out how!

Are they only missing in Outlook desktop, not Outlook.com on the web?

The account is set up in Outlook as a Microsoft Exchange account, correct? Look in File, Account Settings, account setting dialog.

But the strange thing is that if I open an email and then click on the 'Move to' command, this is what I see:

outlook-problem-missing-folder-marks-bought-on-line2-2018-05-28th-png.2372

This is just the MRU (most recently used) list in Outlook. It doesn't prove the folders exist. If you choose one, what happens? (Do it with a junk message, just to be safe)

PS I must have hit the wrong button - I do not have Outlook 2016 for Mac. I have outlook.com and was puzzled by the reference to 'obsolete'. I'll change the info when I've figured out how!
That referenced the old outlook connector account type - I've deleted that option from the choices. I should probably remove the field completely because it's only ever accurate for the first visit - people who come back never update it. <g>

Are they only missing in Outlook desktop, not Outlook.com on the web. The account is set up in Outlook as a Microsoft Exchange account, correct? Look in File, Account Settings, account setting dialog.?

Hello Diane. Sorry to be thick but I only access my outlook.com by logging in on the web - so I don't know what you mean by Outlook desktop.

All of the Microsoft articles that I look at on their sites show a File Command on the immediate left of the commands but my other problem is that I don't have that File command - snip attached.
Outlook No FILE tab 2018-05 30th.PNG

[QUOTE This is just the MRU (most recently used) list in Outlook. It doesn't prove the folders exist. If you choose one, what happens? (Do it with a junk message, just to be safe)[/QUOTE] I didn't realise that the info was only an MRU - tried again and they've all gone. I'm devastated as all my online purchase details have gone.

Ah... you don't have it because its not on the web version, only the desktop version. Were the missing folders moved into the Deleted items folder or into another folder?

You're using the old interface, not the 'beta' so its not that they are hidden under Folders and you are only looking at Favorites. if you type the folder name in the search field, does it list the folder name in the under the search results?

Hi Diane. I'm confident that I didn't delete them - I actually recovered all my deleted emails to check. Nor did I move them; I've just just searched again - the missing folders are in any of the other folders, my C Drive, nor in my File History. Revo Uninstaller (free) didn't find them and my Macrium Back-up doesn't save such files.
I think my only option now is to re-create them in my Outlook.com folders and will try to repopulate them from other sources (eg whenever I received confirmation of an order, I printed off a copy to check my online bank account later for correct amounts etc and to have details of any guarantees.) I will however change the names from BOL - xxx to Online - xxx as BOL is one of the Netherlands biggest on-line retailers, co-incidentally, and a search of the web brought hundreds of results! ;o) I won't do this until you confirm it's my only option now.

Do you recommend that we try the beta, please?

PS Your helpful list below of similar thread reminded me that I previously had Outlook Express. It was automatically upgraded by Microsoft to outlook.com a few years ago & there were a few problem eg the way it was displayed on PCs in the UK differed from what you would see in the USA.

Sorry Diane - urgent request. will you please remove the second snip (the large one) in BitDefender reporting outlook.com as 'insecure'. It has personal details on it - I tried to remove it but ran out of time. I couldn't PM you and I don't wnt to put this request in that thread as it would highlight the problem. :eek:(

Sorry Diane - urgent request. will you please remove the second snip (the large one) in BitDefender reporting outlook.com as 'insecure'. It has personal details on it - I tried to remove it but ran out of time. I couldn't PM you and I don't wnt to put this request in that thread as it would highlight the problem. :eek:(
Done. had I noticed the PII before I would have deleted it earlier.

Do you recommend that we try the beta, please?
outlook.com beta? No, I think it sucks. :) You can certainly try it and see if it finds the folders... but I also don't think its why they disappeared.

We'll all be forced into it soon - one of my accounts was automatically converted overnight.

outlook.com beta? No, I think it sucks. :) You can certainly try it and see if it finds the folders... but I also don't think its why they disappeared.

We'll all be forced into it soon - one of my accounts was automatically converted overnight.
and again, thank you.

PS I'm going to go ahead and create new folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.