Outlook Has Become Sluggish

Post number 9 has been selected as the best answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitrobob

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
On a new Lenovo workstation running Windows 10 Pro and Office 365, I have into issues with Outlook. It can take five or more seconds to deleted a message, switch from Focused to Other, are perform almost any other task. I have disabled the few add-ins that I use. I recently uninstalled the last Windows update that had anything connected to Office (KB4549951), but that didn't resolve the problem.

Repeated searches have yielded no hints as to what might be causing the problem. The system has been really fast for everything else, given an SSD primary drive, 16 GB of RAM and a discreet Nvidia graphics card. I would appreciate any ideas that midnight bring Outlook back into a normal state of responsiveness.

Also a repair on the pst file (if it is a pst) and a repair on Office, from Control Panel.

Nitrobob,

Suggest you compact the .ost and/or .pst file.
Shrink your pst-file or ost-file after cleanup with Compact Now - MSOutlook.info
** use the Compact Now process
Hi, HarvMan. Thanks for the tip. I performed the compact operation but it's too early to tell if there has been an impact. I previously reduced the size of the Office 365 cache setting to three months to see if that might have an impact, but it didn't. I will report back in a few days once I see if compaction produced a beneficial result.

Also a repair on the pst file (if it is a pst) and a repair on Office, from Control Panel.
Vincenzo, Thanks for the suggestion. That was the first thing I did, but it didn't resolve the issue.

Hi, what is the size of your file?
Is it .PST or .OST?

Which version and build of Outlook are you using? See File, Office Account for the information.

The newest builds seem to be more sluggish than usual.

Hi, Diane,

I use Microsoft Outlook for Microsoft 365 MSO (16.0.12730.20188) 64-bit.

That said, this morning when I opened Outlook, it delivered a nastygram that said the Datto add-in caused Outlook to take a lot of time to open. I was almost certain that I had disabled that add-in, which relates to Datto Workplace, a cloud file storage and sharing tool. I deleted it completely and went about my work. Much to my surprise, Outlook was lightning fast today. This was the behavior I got when I set up this new workstation with a lot of horsepower.

I will monitor things for the rest of the week, but I think I have located the culprit.

Hi, Diane,

I use Microsoft Outlook for Microsoft 365 MSO (16.0.12730.20188) 64-bit.

That said, this morning when I opened Outlook, it delivered a nastygram that said the Datto add-in caused Outlook to take a lot of time to open. I was almost certain that I had disabled that add-in, which relates to Datto Workplace, a cloud file storage and sharing tool. I deleted it completely and went about my work. Much to my surprise, Outlook was lightning fast today. This was the behavior I got when I set up this new workstation with a lot of horsepower.

I will monitor things for the rest of the week, but I think I have located the culprit.
Thanks for sharing the cause.

Thanks for sharing the cause.

Well, I may have been overly optimistic. Although things have improved, the responsiveness of Outlook varies from time to time. Some days it remains lightning fast until late afternoon. Other days, like this morning, it starts becoming moderately sluggish when I delete an email message as soon as I start my day. Then it will get really sluggish as the day wears on. There is no consistent pattern to its behavior.
Like most intermittent issues, this one baffles me. In OWA, there is no such behavior, so I can only deduce that somethin on this system is the cause of this behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Outlook 2002- "Send" button has disappeared. Help please. Using Outlook 1
D We're sorry but outlook has run into an error Using Outlook 6
H Outlook 2003 find by "has attachment" Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 2016 has "Outlook 2015" files Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2016 bottom reading pane has disappeared Using Outlook 2
M AVG has banjaxed Outlook. Using Outlook 1
A Outlook incompleted tasks has strike through Using Outlook 3
S Outlook.com Sync working, Sync to Android has issues Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
Witzker Has Outlook 2010 to be opened for Indexing Win7 Using Outlook 1
tswatek Microsoft Outlook has stopped working Using Outlook 13
padubajacket Microsoft Outlook has stopped working Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 2007 to 2013 PST still has the 07 size limit not bigger 13 limit Using Outlook 3
P Outlook 2007 Calendar Ribbon has changed and I can't fix it Using Outlook 10
J it goes like outlook has stopped working, a problem caused the program to stop working correctly, wi Using Outlook 2
J My Outlook program has stopped receiving. I can still send Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2010 has many inbox folders Using Outlook 5
M connection to the microsoft exchange server has been lost. outlook 2007 Exchange Server Administration 0
C Outlook 2013 has been a disaster Using Outlook 8
I Outlook 2013 has two sets of contacts Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2010 has stopped sinking with my iPhone and iPad Using Outlook 1
T Public Folder has many messages but can't be seen in Outlook Using Outlook 3
M "My Outlook Calendar.dot" has stopped functioning... Using Outlook 3
L Outlook Meeting Response: determine when a meeting response has been edited Using Outlook 1
S outlook has stopped receiving my emails Using Outlook 1
J Has Outlook Connector just lost all my folders?! Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
P Was Helvetica crashing Outlook, now fix has messed up explorer Using Outlook 4
C Text reply mail in Outlook 2010 has automatic margin indent Using Outlook 9
Z Outlook 2003 file has reached it's maximum size Using Outlook 7
A How do I get Outlook to stop adding a "+1" in front of a telephone number that has an extension. Using Outlook 13
D "Outlook has blocked access to this form template file. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
G What does 'daily limit has been reached' mean in Outlook 2007? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T Microsoft OUtlook has stopped working BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
D outlook.exe application error - breakpoint has been reached. fix? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
B Create email from Access on Outlook and make sure that email has b Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Create email from Access on Outlook and make sure that email has beensent using WithEvents method Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Outlook 2003 error-Microsoft outlook has encountered a problem Using Outlook 111
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12