Status
Not open for further replies.

LoztInSpace

Outlook version
Outlook 365 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I have Office 365, Subscription Product

After the recent UI refresh, the Outlook search bar has been moved to the very top of the screen, above the menu bar and into the banner area.
I'm baffled as to the reason for this as it occupies an unorthodox position that you might otherwise only access to move or resize the window.

It is a reach to access and far from your working areas where both your navigation and vision are focused. I also noticed that oddly, mouse copy/paste no longer work in the search bar.

Does anyone else find this a cumbersome setback?
Is there any way to reposition the search bar?

They moved it for two reasons:
1) to match the location in word and excel
2) because people complained that it wasted space in the message list, especially when the reading pane was off.

See Folder pane width change for a solution. I have 2 comments on the same page with attachments that are ready to use (after you change the file extension).

Vote against it at Search At The Top Option

Thanks Diane.
I placed my vote against and ran the batch file but don't see any difference in the search bar position?

I can't remember if you need to restart Outlook - but try that. Actually, close outlook and run the file then restart outlook.

Right, that's what I did...I can't see any difference in the UI

ScreenHunter 220.png

YES!! This change is terrible.
The UI is sloppy, and covers the ribbon when activated.

The "Suggested Searches" are useless. Same for "Suggested Actions".

The search defaults to Current Mailbox, and I don't see options for Current Folder, All Mailboxes, All outlook items etc. There is a drop-down arrow, but clicking on that does nothing currently.

Since this "update", the search bar crashes, where the space bar randomly stops inserting a space between words, instead it starts scrolling through emails in the mail folder. And, delete works the same way - instead of deleting a character typed into the search bar, emails get deleted. There's nothing like figuring that out the hard way.

Agreed that the location is now outside the work zone and is inconvenient.

Doesn't your opinion of the new Search Box position depend greatly on your settings for thee Quick Access Toolbar?

When you have the QAT positioned below the Ribbon, then the Search Box is outside the work area in the Title Bar, and its alignment, to the left edge of the message list area does look odd. (Though not as odd as the centrally positioned search boxes in Excel and Word!)

If you have the QAT above the Ribbon then it too appears in the Title Bar which then becomes part of the work area - and if the folder pane is narrower than the QAT the Search Box appears in it's (correct?) position to the top left of the message list. Only if the QAT is wider than the Folder list does the Search box position appear 'odd' as it can't then be positioned at the left edge of the message list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Outlook 365 Search Box reverting to old location Using Outlook 2
M Reverting The Outlook Search Box Location (or other undesired additions) Using Outlook 1
K Changing the Deleted Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 2
C "The linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Verify that the link points to the correct file location" Using Outlook 1
D VBA Macro to Print and Save email to network location Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Navigation Pane Location And Options Using Outlook 19
DoctorJellybean Use OST file location for fresh installation? Using Outlook 1
O Calendar - Location: what happens when using my own way of entering locations Using Outlook 1
T Changing Sent Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 0
N Free/busy publish at http location does not work Using Outlook 1
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
DoctorJellybean Preserve OST file location in new installation? Using Outlook 4
S Moving .OST file location unsuccessful! Using Outlook 6
W Appointment occurrences change the location property Using Outlook 0
A Missing context menu on Location field Using Outlook 2
V Change default default save location to Quick Access Using Outlook 1
T Remove Old Location From Tasks Pane Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Meeting Location Warning Message Using Outlook 0
Kika Melo Change location of Outlook SecureTemporary Files Folder Using Outlook 5
Pierce007 Maps/location in making an appointment Using Outlook 2
J Live Meeting Location populate from body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
K After Carbonite restore pst files are found in a weird location Using Outlook 2
M Save selected email message as .msg file (with user to choose folder location) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 14
Tech Checkers Make Outlook add Contact Card Address in Location Field based on Appointment Subject Name. Using Outlook 2
moron save as & file location dialog box popup Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
H Can't change the location of the Data File (.ost) in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 2
R Outlook will not send from home location Using Outlook 6
S Workgroup template file location? Using Outlook 2
L Cannot update Location field in Contacts - Runtime Error 438 Using Outlook 0
K Change the default Archive location via GPO in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
P Trying to get 'Calendar Name' to appear like 'Subject' and 'Location' in event Using Outlook 0
S Holidays after 2012 & NOT displaying location Using Outlook 8
C Outlook 2010 - Default PST location Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 2003: Restore location Using Outlook 1
Z Mail delivery location - I think Using Outlook 1
T Location and simple copying of emails and settings, OL 2010 and Win 7 64bit. Using Outlook 3
J Remove location field from displaying Using Outlook 8
D Junk Mail location Using Outlook 1
D Extracting Location info from All Day Event in mailboxes into webpage Exchange Server Administration 3
J Move PST /changing default location in Outlook 2007 or 2010 64b on W7 64bit Using Outlook 2
G Pop up information location issue Using Outlook 4
C Multiple Locations in Calendar not showing 2nd location in invite Using Outlook 2
J .bcm file location BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S New Outlook Distribution List Location Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Cursor location in email item? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
T Location field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
H popup window "Location Information" Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 3
V change the Default email Delivery Location Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
I Changing Location of BCM data files BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
F Insert date at cursor location Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4