O365 - How to combine the Inboxes for four email accounts into a single Inbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

glnz

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 64-bit
Email Account
POP3
I have "Microsoft 365" Home 64-bit (formerly "Office 365") on my Win 10 Pro 64-bit machine. I am setting up its Outlook now to connect to my three or four existing email accounts. All POP3 with "Leave a copy of message on the server". So far, so good. However ...

Unlike the older Outlooks I am familiar with, this Outlook 365 one seems to creata a separate "Inbox" for each of my email accounts. So to see what's come in I must check every Inbox separately? Is there way to aggregate all incoming emails (from three or four separate email accounts) into a single Inbox that shows everything all at once? (Or maybe have a virtual Inbox that aggregates the info from the four separate actual Inboxes?

If yes, when I reply, the reply should still show as "From" the original incoming email account, yes?

Thanks.

I'm the OP.

I'm getting some interesting info on Microsoft Community here: < THIS LINK >

What do you think?

All you need to do - assuming all are pop accounts - is go into Go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings to open the Account Settings dialog. Select the account, click the Change folder at the bottom and select the inbox in the default data file. Repeat for each account. The remove the other pst files on the Data Files tab.

IMAP and Exchange need to have their own data files.

>>
To start - when I first turned on this O365, it forced me to connect to my rarely-used [myname]@outlook.com, and that was the first account it established. The Mail control panel window says it is the "Default". I can see that it is not a POP3 account, but it is probably an "Exchange" account. It connects to an .ost file, not a .pst file.
a) Is there any way to include this [myname]@outlook.com in my future unitary Inbox?
b) Is there any way to change this [myname]@outlook.com to POP3 like everything else I have, and so make it use a .pst file instead of an .ost file?
c) What happens when I make my unified .pst file the "Default"? Does its Inbox move to the top of the left-hand pane in O365? What else happens?
>>
If you don't use the account, delete it in Account Settings.
a. no, not if exchange.
b. Yes, set it up manually. Remove the account, then add it back - click Advanced options in the add account dialog and choose manual setup
c. if it doesn't move to the top, you can move it.

>>
So far, I have not connected my O365 to my most important email account, which is [myname]@verizon.net. On my old XP computer using Outlook 2003, this account causes problems, specifically that it re-downloads the emails from verizon.net. (This issue has been posted by many people elsewhere, including on the verizon email forum, and there is no fix. These verizon.net emails are now hosted by either Yahoo or, in my case, aol, but Verizon owns both companies. I think Verizon is trying to force its old email account users to go elsewhere.)
a) I do not know whether O365 on my Win 10 Pro 64-bit machine (taking over from my old Outlook 2003 on my old XP machine) will stop the re-downloading of emails from verizon.net. What do you think?
b) If this problem with verizon.net continues (or will probably continue), I was planning to go into my settings on verizon.net and have all incoming emails automatically forward to [myname]@outlook.com, but then they will not be coming in to my (I hope) unified Inbox on O365.
c) Any other strategies you can think of to deal with this pretzel?
>>
Office 2013 and newer should handle the downloads better and not download duplicates.

Options: a rule to move mail received before yesterday to another folder or don't leave mail on the server.

1. Why hasn't MS fixed its O365 to help users make a unified Inbox, which was available on Outlook Express and Outlook 2003 and is apparently available today in the O365 version for Mac and iOS?

>>

Thanks, Diane - lots for me to do.

Can you give more detail about turning [myname]@outlook.com into POP3 with a .pst file? I recall that Advanced > Manual Setup didn't give the same options as for other email accounts.

You can either do it using File > Add account and choose advanced options > Let me set up my account manually. Outlook will use autoaccount setup for it, but set it up as the correct account type.

Or use control panel > mail - this will give you the old, familiar dialog with all of the options. Just remember to choose the manual option "Manual setup or additional server types" on the first page of the add account dialog to get the dialog where you need to enter everything.
2020-09-07_01-07-18-0000.gif

2020-09-07_01-06-37-0000.gif

Hello,
  • Turn on the O365
  • go to account setting
  • from an account, setting choose the account that you want to merge
  • And your combined inbox is done

A unified inbox or a combined inbox for all email accounts is not available in newer versions of Outlook as a separate feature.

However, as a workaround, Outlook rules could help forward the all the incoming emails to the one email account you want so that you could check emails in a single Inbox. Please configure your rules like below(if you do not want to keep the source email, you could add "delete it"):

Hope it helps

if the account is POP3, you can deliver the mail to one pst, just like you could in older Outlook versions. The default is to use a separate pst, but checking it is easy - account settings > select account > Change folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.