Contacts in O365 have changed??

VSquared

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
My laptop crashed last week and I am now using a second account on my wife's machine until my new one arrives. We use Exchange email accounts so all my contacts remain intact and life is good. The new instance of Office in my new user account generally looks the same but something is up with Outlook contacts. I am not sure if this is the right terminology but typically when I open an Outlook contact a window opens and it is editable... I tend to attach photos to most of my contacts which are plainly visible and I can jump right and make any changes. It feels like what I know as an Outlook form.

In this new instance of Outlook, when I open a contact I get something more akin to a mini web page... Nothing is editable unless I click on the ellipsis (...) under the contact name. It then opens to the familiar editable Outlook form. Oddly, Outlook continues to perform in the traditional fashion on in my wife's account on the same machine. For clarity, I have attached a couple of pictures showing the difference.

Is there a setting somewhere I can change to revert back to the good old days?

Thanks very much!

--V2

CVS1.JPG

CVS2.PNG

VSquared

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi Warren… Thanks very much. Unfortunately, I am in Business Card view. When I enter a name in the search box while in the email tab the new look & feel opens… If I move over to the people tab, all my contacts appear in the business card view and when I click on one the traditional form opens. I found the edit option when clicking on the ellipses but that’s just another step I’d prefer to avoid if possible.

VSquared

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Sorry... Diane. :) I was staring at Warren's name. :)

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
When you use search to find the contact, are you getting the People view? I get the people view, but I may have changed it because I hate the People view.

But that shouldn't matter - double clicking on the contact should open the good form.

2020-11-18_9-03-26.gif

VSquared

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi Diane,
Thanks for following up. When I initiate a search from the email screen it opens the people view... I hate the people view too. When I double click on a contact on the people screen it opens the familiar form. See the attached pics... I can't find any settings to flip or any reference to this being a new problem after some Google searching.

Thanks so much for your help.

Cvs1.jpg

Cvs2.jpg

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Ah... Search people not searching in contacts. Yeah, Search people brings up the contact card - this was changed in either outlook 2013 or 2016, when they changed the results format and started including the autocomplete cache in the results. You need to use the Edit button to access the contact. I have a registry key that might fix it, but it breaks other features.

2020-11-21_09-33-13-0000.gif

If the entry is only in the autocomplete cache (which now includes addresses who recently sent you mail), it will look like this:
2020-11-21_09-36-31-0000.gif

VSquared

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi Diane,

Thanks for following up... Its so strange. Again, I am using Outlook 365 and have been for almost 5 years. Before my machine crashed last week, it was working as expected. I am now using my wife's old machine (we bought her a new one when my machine crashed) and when I am in her account it works as expected. When I switch to the new account I created for myself, I get the people view. Really weird. I hate the people view, its tough to copy things from it and you have to take a second step to edit anything. I guess there is no alternative but to grin and bear it. :(

I am going to rebuild this machine tomorrow or during the holiday next week... Maybe the gods will smile down on me and it will go back to normal. :)

Thanks so much!!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
In contacts, you can change the view to something better. In the Search people results list you can't.

What version and build is on the old computer?

VSquared

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi Diane,
I can't get into the old computer as it crashed... I am using my wife's old computer but instead of rebuilding it, I just created a new account for me... It was faster... My new computer arrives in early January. In the meantime this will suffice.

As you might expect, my wife's old account and my new account are using the same version of Outlook 365. When I am in my wife's account and I do a search the old Outlook form appears. When I do a search in my account the new People card appears. We are using Outlook 365 MSO 16.0.13328.20350 64-Bit

You mentioned a registry hack might solve the problem but likely would break something else... Can you use macros to fix something like this?

Thanks again for your help!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Macros won't really solve the problem. Do you and your wife both have the same type of mailbox? IMAP - Outlook.com, Exchange ?