Outlook 2010 - Want to Have All Email Reply Forward as Rich Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewschwab

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I want to save emails as rich text (so that attachments would be included in the file). One means is to force email formats to rich text, whether replying or forwarding.

I recognize that VBA is the right vehicle; however, I have not found a solution on the Internet.

Help is appreciated.

Attachments are always included when you forward messages. RTF formatting is not recommended for internet mail.

A better solution would be a macro that when you reply, copies any attachment to the reply. I'll see if I can find something.

Thank you for your help.

My intention is to save the whole email with the project file on a shared drive (apart from the email account). Until the upgrade to Office 2010 last week, I had a way to save the email as RTF with attachment as part of the total documentation. I find a longer manual way with Office 2010 is required. Thus, I am trying to find a VBA solution.

Attachments are always included when you forward messages. RTF formatting is not recommended for internet mail.

A better solution would be a macro that when you reply, copies any attachment to the reply. I'll see if I can find something.

oh, so you are saving to the hard drive, not replying to messages...

how did you do it in Outlook 2007? were you saving msg files to the drive? You can do that in Outlook 2010 - just drag to the folder.

In Outlook 2003, I would forward a non-RTF message to myself as RTF. Then save the email as .doc (which would capture the attachment). (Yes, it is a manual process.)

I have tried saving the msg, but found that I could not re-open the email if I deleted the orignial from my email account. So, I have been trying the above method. It is a matter of managing space on my email account, while maintaining reasonable documentation.

oh, so you are saving to the hard drive, not replying to messages...

how did you do it in Outlook 2007? were you saving msg files to the drive? You can do that in Outlook 2010 - just drag to the folder.

This code will convert the message to RTF and save to a folder on the hard drive. The folder needs to exist before you run the macro.

Sub SaveasRTF()

Dim myolApp As Outlook.Application

Dim aItem As Object

Set myolApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

Set mail = myolApp.ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder

Dim sName As String

For Each aItem In mail.Items
aItem.BodyFormat = olFormatRichText
aItem.Save

sName = aItem.Subject

ReplaceCharsForFileName sName, "_"

aItem.SaveAs "C:\email\" & sName & ".doc", olRTF

Next aItem

End Sub

Private Sub ReplaceCharsForFileName(sName As String, _
sChr As String _

)
sName = Replace(sName, "/", sChr)
sName = Replace(sName, "\", sChr)
sName = Replace(sName, ":", sChr)
sName = Replace(sName, "?", sChr)
sName = Replace(sName, Chr(34), sChr)
sName = Replace(sName, "<", sChr)
sName = Replace(sName, ">", sChr)
sName = Replace(sName, "|", sChr)

End Sub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
E Unable to open Outlook 2010 after adding new email account Using Outlook 4
P Outlook 2010 sending safe senders email to junk box Using Outlook 8
A Flag outgoing email messages in Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Customizing Outlook 2010 with Email Address Using Outlook 2
V Outlook 2010 – Send email based on categories Using Outlook 2
Fozzie Bear Change the colour or font of individual email accounts in outlook 2010/13 Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 Email Not Default Email Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 Send from other email address uses account address instead Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 - email correspondence only showing up fully on an IPhone. Using Outlook 1
P Copy email address from outlook 2013/2010 Using Outlook 1
elzahy maintain email on outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
T Saving Outlook 2010 email with attachments but read the email without Outlook Using Outlook 2
T outlook 2010 email folders Using Outlook 5
E Outlook 2010 IMAP stalls/hangs on email deletes Using Outlook 3
S 2010 outlook today looks like an empty email box Using Outlook 4
S Customizing an Outlook 2010 Email Form Exchange Server Administration 1
J Email won't send Automatically in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
H outlook 2010 email can't send to other domain Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 - email address disappears when setting up new contact Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2010 Font on Reply Email is Very Small Ruler Will Not Extend Using Outlook 2
R outlook 2010 can't send email Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2010: Change the font for the area at the top of an open email. Using Outlook 1
L Auto printing unread email + attachments in Inbox - Outlook 2010 - (New user) Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 2010 Stops Working When Accounting Application Tries To Send eMail Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 2010 stuck in Work Offline mode; trouble sending email Using Outlook 1
E can't save draft email in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
R how to scan individual email messages Outlook 2010 64bit Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2010 Email address dissapearing in SOME of contacts Using Outlook 2
M Adding [From] Email Address to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2010 Mailtips - Can they be printed with the email message Using Outlook 1
S outlook 2010 only shows old email Using Outlook 3
B MS Office 2010: Word email merge not selecting default Outlook account Using Outlook 1
S HTML Contents of an email Jumbled in Outlook 2010 Client Using Outlook 5
A email duplicates issue in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
B outlook 2010 - email sound notification Using Outlook 3
D Outlook 2010 - email address disappears when setting up new contact Using Outlook 3
C Deleted email message using Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
J Junk email filer stopped working in Outlook 2010 (32 bit) on a 64-bit Win 7 PC Using Outlook 12
J Saving Incoming & Outgoing Outlook 2010 Email Locally with IMAP Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2010 and how to get attachments listed when creating a new email? Using Outlook 1
R Recall Email Message when i'm not the original sender - Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
T How to Use Recurring Email without buying an add-on for Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
I Send Secure Email Through Microsoft Outlook 2007 and 2010 (32 bit) Using Outlook 0
I Send Secure Email Through Microsoft Outlook 2007 and 2010 (32 bit) Using Outlook 0
O Outlook 2010 - How to create custom Group By Arrangements for email Using Outlook 3
R How to remove an email from a grouped conversation Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
N Outlook 2010 will not add or display new email accounts Using Outlook 3
J Problem using drag and drop to attach an html email in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 18
C Can't get all email in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
T Outlook 2010 lost all eMail addresses from contacts Exchange Server Administration 4