Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince

Outlook version
Outlook 2021 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Anyone using this ? http://www.codetwo.com/sync-for-icloud/

Not that I'm excited about yet another Addin manipulating my PST files and folders, but it looks like this Addin might be a work-around to correct some of the draw-backs of using iCloud with Outlook.

It seems that some Outlook features (at least in Outlook 2007) are tied to default folders (and don't work across optional folders). With a pre-iCloud folder structure (more simple) it just wasn't an issue.

Things like:

- Built-in "ToDo List" (and therefore ToDo-Bar) not working properly

- iCloud Contacts and Tasks can't be in default view

- Various problems related to calendars and appointments

iOS and iCloud is new to me, but it seems that much of strange iCloud-Outlook behavior stems from (non-default) folder location of items. Seems like this Addin would work nicely. The only thing that bothers me is that they say that even the Full Paid Version has no support ? :confused:

That addin works good. They are also working on a new addin that syncs directly with the iCloud server, so you don't need the iCloud addin in outlook. Not sure how soon it will be available though.

The reason for no support is that they had *a lot* of people contacting them for general help with iCloud issues and that is beyond their scope.

Things like:

- Built-in "ToDo List" (and therefore ToDo-Bar) not working properly

- iCloud Contacts and Tasks can't be in default view

- Various problems related to calendars and appointments

These problems all go back to the separate iCloud data file. In Outlook 2010 and 2007, you can set it as default (at least in some versions of iCloud) and this helps a little - the to-do bar is populated at least. It doesn't solve all of the problems with meetings though.

That addin works good. They are also working on a new addin that syncs directly with the iCloud server, so you don't need the iCloud addin in outlook. Not sure how soon it will be available though.

The reason for no support is that they had *a lot* of people contacting them for general help with iCloud issues and that is beyond their scope.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in this one and the heads-up on their new Addin under development.

So, the developers are reachable, just not for minor support problems?

I just saw this Poll. If I finally upgrade to Outlook 2010, any chance some of these quirks will go away on their own?

https://forums.slipstick.com/threads/69015-outlook-2010-multiple-accounts-default-account/

These problems all go back to the separate iCloud data file. In Outlook 2010 and 2007, you can set it as default (at least in some versions of iCloud) and this helps a little - the to-do bar is populated at least. It doesn't solve all of the problems with meetings though.

Thanks for the confirmation about iCloud Data file.

So, what exactly determines the iCloud version?

I don't use Calendar and Appointments much now, but I would like to start using them more now (since I will eventually have them on my new iPhone). As I've been reading about iCloud/Outlook interoperability quirks, it seems to come up a lot. I was hoping to plan-ahead and avoid them in the first place.

If I finally upgrade to Outlook 2010, any chance some of these quirks will go away on their own?

No, not really. It might work a little better, but the main issues with iCloud will remain.

It would require a clear issue that there was something really, really wrong with the addin and the issue to be repro-able for codetwo to open a support case for the iCloud addin.

- - - Updated - - -

The iCloud version # is on the upper right corner of the iCloud control panel. My computer currently has v2.12 but there might be a newer version. (I've been swamped the last few weeks and haven't had a lot of free time to check on things like that.)

No, not really. It might work a little better, but the main issues with iCloud will remain.

It would require a clear issue that there was something really, really wrong with the addin and the issue to be repro-able for codetwo to open a support case for the iCloud addin.

- - - Updated - - -

The iCloud version # is on the upper right corner of the iCloud control panel. My computer currently has v2.12 but there might be a newer version. (I've been swamped the last few weeks and haven't had a lot of free time to check on things like that.)

RE: CodeTwo iCloud Sync Addin

That's acceptable.

RE: Determining iCloud version

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. The current iCCP (as of 7-31-2013) is marked inside as v2.1.2 like you said. When you install it, it mentions being v2.1.2.8.

I've been using Code Two and it works pretty well. Reminders are a bit screwy but they do work for the most part.

Diane,

Great news on the new Code Two project. Looking forward to it.

Dawn

Diane, this isn't the add-in you are thinking of is it??

http://www.codetwo.com/blog/codetwo-public-folders-now-available-on-ios/

They are working on one that will use carddav and caldav to sync outlook and iCloud - that is what iCloud addin (and apple devices) use to talk to the icloud server, but Apple adds a new data file rather than syncing with the current folders.

They are working on one that will use carddav and caldav to sync outlook and iCloud - that is what iCloud addin (and apple devices) use to talk to the icloud server, but Apple adds a new data file rather than syncing with the current folders.

Hi Diane. I'm new to this forum stuff so please excuse me...my question is does anyone know if iCloud setup still strips out all the data from Outlooks calendar & contact folders & archives it as separate ones before creating new mirror folders in the cloud tree?

I didn't think it archives it, but it does move it out of outlook folders and into the iCloud folders.

Hi Diane,

I'm revisiting these issues (see above). I'm still a little confused about which CodeTwo Addin I need. I'm using a local .PST file.

I think I want what everyone wants ... complete Sync of Outlook to iPhone (Contacts, Calendar, Tasks [Reminders], and Notes). I also need Calendar Appointments and Tasks/Reminders to appear in my desktop Outlook To-Do Bar plane.

Right now, I have things working pretty good, but there are certain actions in Outlook that always create items in the non-iCloud Folders and must be moved. I'm also using a "running Task" for a Sync-able ToDo List (since native Notes work differently).

If Outlook To-Do Bar can't be set to use iCloud Folders, the only way I can think of is some Synced local folders.

Your existing Tutorials are great, but I wonder if it might be time to take it to the next level. I would be glad to collaborate on an advanced setup document and/or test a proposed solution.

Welcome back :) Well, you can have 1 or 2 without issue. :) AFAIK, codetwo hasn't released a carddav/caldav sync program. EVO has a sync utility that works with apple (and they are working on adding Gmail support.)

You'll want the iCloud addin from codetwo (not free, but not expensive) - it does one way or two way sync and is automatic.

I have CodeTwo for icloud working with Outlook 2013 and it has been working okay, but suddenly all of my calendar entries are duplicated. Does anyone know how to correct this? Many thanks, Crystal

The usual fix is to move everything to a folder that doesn't sync and remove the duplicates, clear everything off the server and out of outlook, then move the appointments back to the calendar and sync.

You can try deleting the dupes from the iCloud folder in outlook and letting it sync up - if the dupes aren't removed from the iCloud, then clear everything and let it sync then move appointments back - just make sure you create a folder with backup copies before you do anything.

The usual fix is to move everything to a folder that doesn't sync and remove the duplicates, clear everything off the server and out of outlook, then move the appointments back to the calendar and sync.

You can try deleting the dupes from the iCloud folder in outlook and letting it sync up - if the dupes aren't removed from the iCloud, then clear everything and let it sync then move appointments back - just make sure you create a folder with backup copies before you do anything.

Didn't work for me - spent hours clearing out the dupes, but when switched back on went into a mad cycle again, eventually crashed outlook, and I ended up with twelve entries for next Christmas. Shame - nice idea. I am sure someone else will come up with a fix that works.

Thanks, I'll give these tips a try!

Diane,
Since you seem to be the expert on this and I do appreciate your assistance. I have emailed codetwo tech support and received their standard reply which did not help my problems. This is what I sent them:

"Hi. Hopefully this is something simple. I only do a one way sync from my icloud Calendar to the Outlook Calendar on my pc. Everything was working fine until I reinstalled icloud, then when I "added" the one way sync from icloud to Outlook it sent in duplicate items in Outlook. I deleted all the items in the outlook calendar and "removed" then "added" the one way sync again. I could not get it to bring in (sync) the items from icloud, I had to copy them from icloud (using Ctrl+C) and paste them into outlook (using Ctrl+V). This is where your program started acting up. I can add a new item to icloud and it will sync normally. I can make a time change to the new item added and it will update the sync. My problem is with existing icloud calander items, they will not update (time change) in outlook. They will not even delete in Outlook if I delete them in icloud. I am attaching my latest log (txt) file from your program. "

Again, my problem is with the existing outlook items that I try to edit or delete in icloud. They do not change in outlook. I can add, edit, and delete new entries in icloud, and they will update in outlook. My main issue (I think) is that when I configure the codetwo control panel it used to bring in my calendar entries automatically from icloud, now it will not.

Any suggestions are well appreciated!!!! I am using MS Office with Outlook 2010.
Mike ....

Can you break the sync relationship then reconfigure it? I don't have it installed right now to check how you'd do it, but it sounds like it thinks everything old is synced. Remove the partnership, sign out of iCloud and sign back in. Clean out the outlook calendar then establish the sync.

FWIW, they don't provide support for the iCloud addin because they were getting a lot of requests that were for general help with iCloud it was overwhelming their help desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.