Why are different email names displayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Salad

If I click on Inbox, I'll see my messages in the inbox pane. They might

look like

joeblow@joescompany.com

First Message

and if the email pane for viewing the message is visible I might see

First Message

joeblow@joescompany.com

To JohnSmith

-----------
Hi John:.....

and if I move the mouse over the message pane over joeblow's addyress

I'll see "joeblow is not an online contact."

The next message might look like

JaneDoe

Second Message

and the email pane might look like

Second Message

janedoe [janedoe@janescompany.com]

To JohnSmith

-----------
Hi John:.....

and again if I move the mouse over jane's email address I'll see the

jane isn't an online contact either.

Why do some messages show the full email address and others just the

name. It will show the full address in the message body. Is that due

to an email property; fullemailaddress and shortemailaddress or

something like that?
 
J

JP

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it depends on the

sender's mail reader, whether Exchange server is involved, whether the

email is internal or sent from an external source (i.e. SMTP), and

whether they're in your Contacts/Address book.

--JP

On Jan 25, 7:09 pm, Salad <sa...@oilandvinegar.com> wrote:
> If I click on Inbox, I'll see my messages in the inbox pane.  They might
> look like
>         joeb...@joescompany.com
>         First Message
> and if the email pane for viewing the message is visible I might see
>         First Message
>         joeb...@joescompany.com
>         To JohnSmith
>         ----------->         Hi John:.....
> and if I move the mouse over the message pane over joeblow's addyress
> I'll see "joeblow is not an online contact."

> The next message might look like
>         JaneDoe
>         Second Message
> and the email pane might look like
>         Second Message
>         janedoe [jane...@janescompany.com]
>         To JohnSmith
>         ----------->         Hi John:.....
> and again if I move the mouse over jane's email address I'll see the
> jane isn't an online contact either.

> Why do some messages show the full email address and others just the
> name.  It will show the full address in the message body.  Is that due
> to an email property; fullemailaddress and shortemailaddress or
> something like that?
 
S

Salad

JP wrote:


> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it depends on the
> sender's mail reader, whether Exchange server is involved, whether the
> email is internal or sent from an external source (i.e. SMTP), and
> whether they're in your Contacts/Address book.


Thanks for the response.

Reading another post I saw two properties mentioned; SenderName and

SenderEmailAddress; one displays the name, the other the address.

I doubt is has much to do with contacts/address book. Perhaps if an

email is sent via Outlook it can determine those values from the header

and display the value, those not sent with Outlook would be missing he

property and display the address. I'm guessing of course, but it makes

sense.


> --JP

> On Jan 25, 7:09 pm, Salad <sa...@oilandvinegar.com> wrote:
>
> >If I click on Inbox, I'll see my messages in the inbox pane. They might
> >look like
> > joeb...@joescompany.com
> > First Message
> >and if the email pane for viewing the message is visible I might see
> > First Message
> > joeb...@joescompany.com
> > To JohnSmith
> > -----------> > Hi John:.....
> >and if I move the mouse over the message pane over joeblow's addyress
> >I'll see "joeblow is not an online contact."
>

>>The next message might look like
> > JaneDoe
> > Second Message
> >and the email pane might look like
> > Second Message
> > janedoe [jane...@janescompany.com]
> > To JohnSmith
> > -----------> > Hi John:.....
> >and again if I move the mouse over jane's email address I'll see the
> >jane isn't an online contact either.
>

>>Why do some messages show the full email address and others just the
> >name. It will show the full address in the message body. Is that due
> >to an email property; fullemailaddress and shortemailaddress or
> >something like that?


>
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Different names for the same email address Using Outlook 1
R Help Revising VBA macro to delete email over different time span Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L How to use different fonts for outgoing messages for different email accounts Using Outlook 0
N Combined emails on 2 iphones from different email addresses Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Create Tasks from Email and move to different Task folders Using Outlook 0
I Different users connected to an IMAP email aren't syncing with each other Using Outlook 5
M How do I mark emails already received as read when I get a second, different email based on subject? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
O Copy email content and paste into new Word Document using a different font Using Outlook 1
J How to sort incoming email that is sent to a different address to my main one? Using Outlook 1
A Manage Subfolders for different Email accounts. Using Outlook 7
W Outlook Coding - Select different email adresses to send from Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
C Copy email to different folder, works in 2003 but not 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Importing N2K from a different Exchange Server Using Outlook 1
A Automatic forwarding to different people on a rotational basis Using Outlook 2
R Auto Forwarding with different "From" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook VBA How to adapt this code for using in a different Mail Inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Outlook on 3 Computers Shows Different Total Items on Same Account Using Outlook 3
R Microsoft Outlook 2016 - Gmail not sending, asks for password for SMTP, tried different ports Using Outlook 23
V Outlook Forms: Formatting a Label with 2 different styles Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
David in Mississippi New (Feb 2020) install of Outlook 365 - Cannot specify PST for different accounts Using Outlook 0
T why are the calendar icons different for different accounts Using Outlook 2
E Project Management - Adding Folders for Different Folder Types Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
O Using .OST and .PST mail thru different providers Using Outlook 5
R Reinstall to a different drive or folder Using Outlook 1
T Categorizing different colors for a series of events Using Outlook 0
K adding more rules to 'different domains check' macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Frédéric Save E mail using different path. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 24
P Migrate Office 365 mailbox to a different on-premises domain Using Outlook 1
J Why are emails for a different pop account copied to outlook.com account? Using Outlook 1
J Autoforward emails to different contacts based on certain criteria using only one rule Using Outlook 1
S Different alert time for different meetings Using Outlook 1
oliv- Why custom form is different from original ipm.contact ? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Check for different domains macro to be triggered by specific domains only Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Q Form displayed is different from form edited Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
T Duplicate emails in different "sent" boxes. Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 2013 VB rule to auto save attachments with different file types Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
G Drafts go to a different pst! Using Outlook 1
K Different kind of issue related to creation of archive after one has been deleted Exchange Server Administration 1
K Outlook 2013 Multi Accounts set Default different calendar Sender Using Outlook 2
E OL2007 on Exchange: opening OL on different computers Using Outlook 1
D can you share a bcm database with 2 different versions of windows? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
W Moving Exchange 2007 to a different drive/partition? Exchange Server Administration 1
J How to create fields that will use the same value on different record types BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
S "Search People" sometimes shows contacts 2 different ways - Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 6
C Help with a Macro to move emails to a different PST data file Using Outlook 4
B Excel 2010 vba to post appts to different outlook calendars at the same time Using Outlook 6
M Apply different views to calendars Using Outlook 0
F Sync of 2 calendars from different organization Using Outlook 0
G Opening pst files in different versions of outlook Using Outlook 2
R Different behavior AutoForward with Rule vs manual forward. Using Outlook 0

Similar threads

Top